Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #1891
hudsen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Looks pretty sweet Xsamp. Do you think with a good hit the aluminum will bend/snap being 3mm? I'm just not real familiar on working with aluminum and its sheet strength (don't know what to actually call it).

Yea redleger, from what I've read on helmet mounts, Is most people start off buying the stock side mount and end up custom rigging it within a year for all major brands. Especially if you want to save it from all the abuse from getting hit by branches and when you dismount your bike 'rapidly' as my friend would say haha

Hudsen
hudsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #1892
Carve
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just browsed through the thread and am really impressed with the quality of information you guys have on here.

New to me DRZ 250. Bought it for my wife to learn to ride because it's pretty tame, lowish seat height and electric start with option to kick if we kill the battery Unfortunately, the previous owner did not practice safe wrenching and caused all kinds of damage from stripped threads, over torqued bolts, missing bolts, incorrect bolt lengths, etc...

The worst of it I discovered tonight as my wife is trying to install a new spark plug. "It just keeps turning" . Sure enough, PO stripped the spark plug hole threads. Looks like a helicoil is the way to go but I'm a bit worried about getting a good seal for compression, and getting all the aluminum scraps from the combustion chamber after the operation. I already know to use grease on the thread cutter to catch most of it, but any other tips? Anyone used the helicoil for spark plug repairs?

I think I might send an anonymous package to this guy's door step. Inside, he'll find a HF torque wrench, some lock-tite and some anti-seize.
Carve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #1893
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carve View Post
. I already know to use grease on the thread cutter to catch most of it, but any other tips? Anyone used the helicoil for spark plug repairs?

I think I might send an anonymous package to this guy's door step. Inside, he'll find a HF torque wrench, some lock-tite and some anti-seize.

I would take the head off to ensure that there are no burrs or chips in the combustion chamber, but that's just me.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1894
privateer2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
You might also consider spending the money and reducing your potential headache by taking it to a machine shop. At a minimum though I would remove it from the engine to do the work. I am all about saving headaches where I can.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #1895
Carve
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ok, that sounds prudent. I'll order a new head gasket and tear into it this weekend. Thanks for the advice.
Carve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #1896
RoscoOz
Aprentice Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
2006 - DRZ-250 Manual

Morning all,

If someone has a PDF of manual they are happy to share - please PM me.

Thanks

RoscoOz
RoscoOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #1897
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
Jcolombo wrote:

Ah yes, I like the real HID look as well. Only thing I don't like - looking at about $2500 for the entire system (two lights and ballasts).

Well, I hate to admit I read through it, but JC whitney claim to have honest-to-god HID lights for $600/set, lights and transformers. not bad, if htey're the real McCoy.
Same thing please

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #1898
AlexD92
DR-Z 250

Oddometer: 78
Speedometer

Hey guys,
I am thinking of putting a speedometer on my DRZ and was wondering if you know of any good ones out there. I'd rather have something that uses the existing wiring of the tirp meter but I don't know if its possible.
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #1899
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
about any oe speedo will do

the ds versions over seas have the same speedo as a drz400

i have used a dr125/200 speedo
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #1900
xsamp86
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsen8 View Post
Looks pretty sweet Xsamp. Do you think with a good hit the aluminum will bend/snap being 3mm? I'm just not real familiar on working with aluminum and its sheet strength (don't know what to actually call it).

Yea redleger, from what I've read on helmet mounts, Is most people start off buying the stock side mount and end up custom rigging it within a year for all major brands. Especially if you want to save it from all the abuse from getting hit by branches and when you dismount your bike 'rapidly' as my friend would say haha

Hudsen
Yeah, in fact I may even upload the pics Of my home made sump guard using the Same sheet when I get on the computer, it's very forgiving & bends with a block of wood & a mallet without any heat I'll upload soon! In terms of fitted strength it Is similar thickness to aftermarket stuff so I'm hoping will wear well, but seems to have been ok after a 60mil e run at t he weekend :)
xsamp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #1901
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #1902
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
Double lurk. The movers took my bikes away today. I am gonna see how the Suzukis handle the Oklahoma terrain. From what I heard it not very technical at all so it may be perfect for the DRZ.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #1903
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112

After a full day of the ERC and another full day navigating the Kanagawa Prefecture bureaucracy, I am free to terrorize the locals.

The ridiculous part is I spent more money on tolls than on registration.

Anyway, its done!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #1904
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
Congrats, you should work on getting an ETC card now for the expressways.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #1905
hudsen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Question Problem

Alright guys so I want to assume that the lack of presence of everyone in the forums means everyone is out riding like i've been doing

So today while riding I encountered a problem I've never had on a bike. So while riding today we did some high speed runs, step ups, small jumps, table tops, really pushed the bike and it performed great today. So on the way back to the truck on our last run we were moving rather quickly when I ran smack into the pothole we've been avoiding all day, BAM. The DRz skimmed over it not feeling the impact at all, but right after that I layed back into the throttle to continue on up the hill. As I did this, the bike just shut off like it had no fuel. Started it back up, idled like it has since I've owned it. Give it some gas to take off and it sputters and dies. Do it again same response, and about 20 or so more times. So finally I found that it would run at 1/4 throttle with half choke just so we could get it up the hill (which was an hour long process).

So I get it back home and I'm HIGHLY confused as to what's going on. I have the bike torn down, decided since it was time to change the the spark plug I would, praying it could be the issue, but to no avail. Bike is now torn back down. I believe it is a fuel related issue. I don't believe it is bad gas, It was running fine all day and then all the sudden it is not. Going to try to get the Carb off tomorrow >TM28< Anything I should know of to look for? Any suggestions? What should I keep my eye out for? I've had carb problems on other vehicles before, but nothing that was just sudden. Could it be from something being stuck open?

Also guess I should mention, we decided to take the end cap off the exhaust to run it a little to see what it would sound like, as we have done this to four-wheelers and other bikes and never had a problem from it, some we never replaced and they still run fine after taking even more abuse from what I did today to the DRz.

Any help will be highly welcomed, just hope it is nothing major.

Thanks, Hudsen
hudsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote