tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
it may have a plugged jet
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #1907
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Could the carb have bumped loose? We're you making any adjustments before the ride? It doesn't sound like the issue could be related otherwise. I would check the usual suspects.

I get mine back on Tuesday when the movers deliver everything. I have been away 2 weeks and it is killing me.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #1908
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
maybe some crud at the bottom of the carb knocked loose and is not in one of the jets. do a pinesol soak on the carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsen8 View Post
Alright guys so I want to assume that the lack of presence of everyone in the forums means everyone is out riding like i've been doing

So today while riding I encountered a problem I've never had on a bike. So while riding today we did some high speed runs, step ups, small jumps, table tops, really pushed the bike and it performed great today. So on the way back to the truck on our last run we were moving rather quickly when I ran smack into the pothole we've been avoiding all day, BAM. The DRz skimmed over it not feeling the impact at all, but right after that I layed back into the throttle to continue on up the hill. As I did this, the bike just shut off like it had no fuel. Started it back up, idled like it has since I've owned it. Give it some gas to take off and it sputters and dies. Do it again same response, and about 20 or so more times. So finally I found that it would run at 1/4 throttle with half choke just so we could get it up the hill (which was an hour long process).

So I get it back home and I'm HIGHLY confused as to what's going on. I have the bike torn down, decided since it was time to change the the spark plug I would, praying it could be the issue, but to no avail. Bike is now torn back down. I believe it is a fuel related issue. I don't believe it is bad gas, It was running fine all day and then all the sudden it is not. Going to try to get the Carb off tomorrow >TM28< Anything I should know of to look for? Any suggestions? What should I keep my eye out for? I've had carb problems on other vehicles before, but nothing that was just sudden. Could it be from something being stuck open?

Also guess I should mention, we decided to take the end cap off the exhaust to run it a little to see what it would sound like, as we have done this to four-wheelers and other bikes and never had a problem from it, some we never replaced and they still run fine after taking even more abuse from what I did today to the DRz.

Any help will be highly welcomed, just hope it is nothing major.

Thanks, Hudsen
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #1909
mountainduro
hardened rider

Oddometer: 56
Hi buddies I can see good activity in the forum,just want to share some activity we have in our country check my other vids too.

http://youtu.be/L3mAVGSU7IY
mountainduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #1910
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

OK, move complete. Unpacking complete, riding.... nope.

Thank you to the movers I have a whole set of issues to worry about with my bikes now. Gonna need some help on this one, I am stumped.

First issue. I do my visual inspection, connect the fuel line back up, put in some fuel, start it. starts up, I take it out back, open it up to third gear, come back to the garage, and fuel is leaking so hard, that my garage now stinks.

I think I can lick that one, I am pulling apart the carb tonight, and checking everything, making sure none of the over flow lines were kinked.

Big issue. there is motor oil or possible fork oil in places it shouldnt be. Problem one- oil all along the frame near the air box.

Problem 2- oil in the air box and on the filter

I could really use some input here. I am not sure WTF is going on, or how it go there. I Just changed the oil last night, and it was full and looked normal.

I am worried about this being something big. Great Oklahoma weather here and now that I am away from the land of no sun, I would love to get it out and ride, but I don't want to jack anything up. I know one of you smart fellers here has a theory, and hopefully it isn't one involving major engine repair or suspension work.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #1911
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

to much oil in crank case , would be my first guess
Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1912
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

wow that was quick. and I don't think so. I had the key so I am sure they didn't start it. they might have been trying to kick it over though if they didn't know it needed a key. Second, it was like this before I changed the oil. I only drained it because it was due, and I wanted to take it out riding. Upon waiting for the oil to drain, is when I started noticing all the oil pooling everywhere. It has many miles on it, prior to the movers taking it and no issues like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #1913
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

it may have been build up , or has it been on its side for a while?
does it smoke when running?

or the float in the carb is stuck

my 2007 had a bit crud in the needle until i pulled it all apart and cleaned it
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #1914
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
it may have been build up , or has it been on its side for a while?
does it smoke when running?

or the float in the carb is stuck

my 2007 had a bit crud in the needle until i pulled it all apart and cleaned it
It may have been on its side. I am not sure what the movers did to it. My DR had a foot print on the gas tank and the oil smelled like fuel.

The oil on the DRZ frame was not build up because I cleaned it before I let them take it so I would be able to identify stuff like that. How would oil get on the inside of the air box like that? Would leaving it on its side for a long period of time do that? I am gonna put it back together tomorrow. Cleaned the carb and air filter and air box and funnel and they are drying in the garage right now.

On another note, any idea why my DR might have fuel in the oil?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #1915
mountainduro
hardened rider

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
It may have been on its side. I am not sure what the movers did to it. My DR had a foot print on the gas tank and the oil smelled like fuel.

The oil on the DRZ frame was not build up because I cleaned it before I let them take it so I would be able to identify stuff like that. How would oil get on the inside of the air box like that? Would leaving it on its side for a long period of time do that? I am gonna put it back together tomorrow. Cleaned the carb and air filter and air box and funnel and they are drying in the garage right now.

On another note, any idea why my DR might have fuel in the oil?

I think an for sure that the movers lifted front wheel too much putting the bike too vertical,theres a hose that conects the engine with the airbox ,when they did that the oil came out through the hose,and the fuel in the oil its because the float didnt sealed right and the gas just went trough engine intake,that happens often.
Yamaha atv 80cc '07
Chinese Scooter 150cc
mountainduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #1916
Gavrila
Easy ADVRider

Oddometer: 8
This is my Djebel with big big tank!

Gavrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #1917
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

pulled the carb apart today, cleaned it out, even though it looked good. float was not stuck, and everything looked great. Put it back together, turned on the fuel, after a few minutes fuel begins dripping out of the fuel drain hose. I verified the screw is closed. It looks to me like the person who drained it over tightened the screw and possibly caused damage inside. The guy at the local shop says he has seen it multiple times from Soldiers coming in asking about this problem after the movers have had a hold of their bikes.

So I apparently need a new bowl and fuel drain screw. I know I was looking at getting a new carb to replace the California carb anyway, but not this soon after the move, money is kinda tight atm.

Would there be a possible solution or way to seal up the drain hole without causing issues? I was thinking JB weld or something like it, but I am not sure if that would cause problems, or if the fuel would eat away at it.

Anyone know where to quickly get a CV BSR32 bowl for cheap. They do not sell them seperate on the OEM parts list that I could find.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1918
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i dont have a carb , but the carb is the same as the gs500 carb.

you could jb weld the hole and ride
Old 05-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #1919
ruffzguts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Righto, I put my R back together and took it for a run only to find it was not selecting gears properly ghead: so after a bit of Googling I put it down to the return to center spring for the gear shaft being either 'sprung' or dislocated (there was a MASSIVE amount of freeplay in the gearshaft). So after a look at the workshop manual I decided to pull off the clutch side cover & see (hope) this was the problem. Low & behold the spring had dislocated itself, so I removed the gear shaft, reset the spring put it all back together & now the formentioned freeplay is no more.

The problem arose due to my own doing. When I had the engine on the bench I decided to remove the gear lever, when putting it back on I used a little too much force & accidentally popped the circlip off & the gear shaft slid about 15mm further inside the engine and enough to move the spring away from its home and render it useless.

This also gave me the opportunity to look in the crankcase and make sure there were no foreign objects or excessive metal shavings. And thankfully the inside looked nice and healthy

Now I just need to throw in some fresh oil & the new filter thats been sitting on my work bench and ill nearly be ready for a blue slip :what:

If your dad doesn't have a beard, You've got 2 mums.
ruffzguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #1920
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i had to replace the O ring around the needle valve seat on my 07
it had dried out

issue fixed