Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #2056
rowingman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
marketing decision ??

Hello,

Newbie to the forum here. I retired last fall, bought a 2007 Suzuki DRZ250, and very much enjoying myself riding the old logging roads in the north Idaho mountains around here. From what I can find out, it looks like my bike was the last year that Suzuki made the bike available in north America... I see that they are still available in Asia and Australia.. anybody know why they quit selling the 250 in the US ???

Rowingman
rowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #2057
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
welcome aboard, my dad lives in post falls. great country up that way!

my guess on why they stopped selling the drz250 in the us is slow sales
from a lack of marketing a dual-sport version

post some pix of the world around you
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #2058
sako13
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Whats the extra hole for?

Hey all,
have a question. Have owned a Djebel for a couple of years now and love the bike. Mainly use it for riding to work and trail work in the weekends. Have an "out of interest" question. When I was under it the other day I noticed that the bottom end of the shock that bolts to the bit in the swing arm- has another threaded hole through it lower down. Any ideas what this second hole is for? My guess is if you drop the shock down to the lower hole it will increase seat height from ground? or no?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #2059
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingman View Post
Hello,

Newbie to the forum here. I retired last fall, bought a 2007 Suzuki DRZ250, and very much enjoying myself riding the old logging roads in the north Idaho mountains around here. From what I can find out, it looks like my bike was the last year that Suzuki made the bike available in north America... I see that they are still available in Asia and Australia.. anybody know why they quit selling the 250 in the US ???

Rowingman
The Japanese mfg. moved on to updated 250 woods bikes in the mid-2000s or dropped them.

Suzuki never moved forward in the 250 class and barely competed in the modern 450 class then dropped out. They still have an outdated 400 that sells enough to keep it going yet not too many to affect their CAFE rating. Suzuki also has been deal with financial issues. Kawasaki is in the same boat with nothing in the 250 or 450 woods bike class.

Only Honda and Yamaha are the Japanese players.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #2060
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako13 View Post
Hey all,
have a question. Have owned a Djebel for a couple of years now and love the bike. Mainly use it for riding to work and trail work in the weekends. Have an "out of interest" question. When I was under it the other day I noticed that the bottom end of the shock that bolts to the bit in the swing arm- has another threaded hole through it lower down. Any ideas what this second hole is for? My guess is if you drop the shock down to the lower hole it will increase seat height from ground? or no?
Sounds correct. On the DR650 it's that way. The lower hole is the tall suspension position and the upper hole is the lower position.

Are you forks dropped in the tripple clamps too? That was the fast and easy way to match the rear suspenion lowering. The correct way is to switch out the internals of the fork and they stay flush at the top of the tripple.
Butler Maps website:
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #2061
sako13
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Sounds correct. On the DR650 it's that way. The lower hole is the tall suspension position and the upper hole is the lower position.

Are you forks dropped in the tripple clamps too? That was the fast and easy way to match the rear suspenion lowering. The correct way is to switch out the internals of the fork and they stay flush at the top of the tripple.

Ok- thats interesting. Yes the forks are also dropped in the clamps. Looks like there are 3 "rings" around the head of each fork and they are on the lowest ones. Maybe time to adjust as I'm 6 2" and 105kg! The rear shock has had a heavy duty spring put on it so it rides about right for me tho. But yes it does sit low as such as can easily put both feet flat on the ground at rest.
Thanks for the reply
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #2062
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
any body out there got any hing new on there drz250
have one ready for a tag just need time to go to dmv
the second one is about half way to a tag pix when i can
Tdrally what kit did you use to plate your DRZ250s? I am considering plating mine now that the DR is gone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #2063
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

i made that one up, but i would use the rockymountain atv with a better headlight
Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #2064
joyjoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Buy a used complete harness for the djebel250xc. everything solved.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #2065
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

the rockymountainatv kit is made better than the oe harness , led flasher can ect and its less money too
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #2066
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
DRZ Jetting - Yurgh.

I am working on jetting for my new-to-me DRZ. It has a TM-33 & airbox mod, and the pipe is opened up. Home elevation is ~6,500', and I mostly ride in the 5,000 - 10,000' elevation zone (sometimes a bit higher).

Main jet is 130
Pilot jet is 42.5
Needle is in middle position

It was stumbling when you tried to twist the throttle and go, so I had already changed main jet from 125 to 130. It still feels like there might be a slight bog there, but if so, it's very subtle now. It has not stumbled at all with the 130 main jet.

The issue now is that when I come to a hard stop, the engine dies. And if I try to go down a hill too slow, it stalls and dies again. So for example I was riding single track today and I stopped at the top of a hill to see what the drop was, and it died. I restarted and tried to ride off - not holding it back but not giving it much gas - and it died again so I skidded merrily down the steep 'lil hill. I tried the same hill again without stopping and had the same issue.

I *think* this is still from it running too lean, but would like some advice on this before I go changing anything else. I was thinking of changing the pilot jet next, to a bigger size? Or do I move the needle next?

Help, pretty please!!

Thanks,
Michele

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #2067
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

sounds like an air screw or jet issue to me
a bit more fuel could help
Old 08-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #2068
ruffzguts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey guys, I got my DR250R registered last week, been having a blast hooning around but it has become apparent that the rear shock is stuffed :mad:

So I have ordered the parts and its off to a Suspension dude this week hopefully to get an overhaul. Needs new seal, the chrome on the shaft looks good but you can see the seal is leaking. Im aware that it also needs a new reservoir cap so that it can become a serviceable part from thereon in.

Hopefully this guy gets it done quick.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, You've got 2 mums.
ruffzguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2069
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
sounds like an air screw or jet issue to me
a bit more fuel could help
Thanks - I don't think it's the air screw, I am pretty sure it's something with jetting, just not sure which way to go. I think it needs richer, but the previous owner thought leaner. ??

I guess I'll open the carb tomorrow and muck around. Maybe put in a richer pilot jet?

I'm afraid I'll get it dead perfect for 6,500' or less, and then it will be a twit at altitude.

Wish there were more DRZ's around and the jetting was more of a known issue...

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #2070
eakins
Butler Maps

as you have an upgraded carb,
ask about jetting over on Thumpertalk.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/89032-drz250-02/
you might have something clogged in the carb.
take all the parts out and do a Pine Sol soak to start.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
I am working on jetting for my new-to-me DRZ. It has a TM-33 & airbox mod, and the pipe is opened up. Home elevation is ~6,500', and I mostly ride in the 5,000 - 10,000' elevation zone (sometimes a bit higher).

Main jet is 130
Pilot jet is 42.5
Needle is in middle position

It was stumbling when you tried to twist the throttle and go, so I had already changed main jet from 125 to 130. It still feels like there might be a slight bog there, but if so, it's very subtle now. It has not stumbled at all with the 130 main jet.

The issue now is that when I come to a hard stop, the engine dies. And if I try to go down a hill too slow, it stalls and dies again. So for example I was riding single track today and I stopped at the top of a hill to see what the drop was, and it died. I restarted and tried to ride off - not holding it back but not giving it much gas - and it died again so I skidded merrily down the steep 'lil hill. I tried the same hill again without stopping and had the same issue.

I *think* this is still from it running too lean, but would like some advice on this before I go changing anything else. I was thinking of changing the pilot jet next, to a bigger size? Or do I move the needle next?

Help, pretty please!!

Thanks,
Michele
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 12:00 AM