Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #2071
1zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
I am working on jetting for my new-to-me DRZ. It has a TM-33 & airbox mod, and the pipe is opened up. Home elevation is ~6,500', and I mostly ride in the 5,000 - 10,000' elevation zone (sometimes a bit higher).

Main jet is 130
Pilot jet is 42.5
Needle is in middle position

It was stumbling when you tried to twist the throttle and go, so I had already changed main jet from 125 to 130. It still feels like there might be a slight bog there, but if so, it's very subtle now. It has not stumbled at all with the 130 main jet.

The issue now is that when I come to a hard stop, the engine dies. And if I try to go down a hill too slow, it stalls and dies again. So for example I was riding single track today and I stopped at the top of a hill to see what the drop was, and it died. I restarted and tried to ride off - not holding it back but not giving it much gas - and it died again so I skidded merrily down the steep 'lil hill. I tried the same hill again without stopping and had the same issue.

I *think* this is still from it running too lean, but would like some advice on this before I go changing anything else. I was thinking of changing the pilot jet next, to a bigger size? Or do I move the needle next?

Help, pretty please!!

Thanks,
Michele
Just in the last 2 weeks I've fitted a TM33 to my DRZ250, below are a few specs of engine setup and what I jetted mine too.

Riding at sea level
Std 250cc engine
Big bore header
Straight through tail pipe
Top of airbox opened up
Twin Air filter
TM33 jets:
MJ=135
PJ=25
Needle= std position
Fuel screw= 1.5 out

This setup gives me clean acceleration, no stumbling, no back firing, in fact no performance issues at all.
Even riding at idle speed in 3rd gear, twisting throttle gives clean pure acceleration with no pinking etc.
I have now turned FS out to 2x out but haven't ridden yet, it certainly more authority on the throttle at 2x turns out.
Reason I went 25PJ was this carb does a big squirt of fuel at 0 to 1/4 throttle and to off set this I went 25PJ, you know this carb was standard on DR350 which gulp a lot more air per stroke than the 250 does.
Hopefully this will give you a few more ideas, good luck
1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #2072
Kitteh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
as you have an upgraded carb,
ask about jetting over on Thumpertalk.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/89032-drz250-02/
you might have something clogged in the carb.
take all the parts out and do a Pine Sol soak to start.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117
Thanks, I'll check on Thumper. When I opened it, it really is clean as a whistle. The previous owner cleaned it this season, and it's only got about 600 miles on the new carb since he installed it. I think he liked working on the bike more than riding it, which is pretty cool from my perspective...

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Kitteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #2073
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zero View Post
Just in the last 2 weeks I've fitted a TM33 to my DRZ250, below are a few specs of engine setup and what I jetted mine too.

Riding at sea level
Std 250cc engine
Big bore header
Straight through tail pipe
Top of airbox opened up
Twin Air filter
TM33 jets:
MJ=135
PJ=25
Needle= std position
Fuel screw= 1.5 out

This setup gives me clean acceleration, no stumbling, no back firing, in fact no performance issues at all.
Even riding at idle speed in 3rd gear, twisting throttle gives clean pure acceleration with no pinking etc.
I have now turned FS out to 2x out but haven't ridden yet, it certainly more authority on the throttle at 2x turns out.
Reason I went 25PJ was this carb does a big squirt of fuel at 0 to 1/4 throttle and to off set this I went 25PJ, you know this carb was standard on DR350 which gulp a lot more air per stroke than the 250 does.
Hopefully this will give you a few more ideas, good luck
Yeah, thanks a bunch on the settings. I had this carb on my DR350, but don't remember how I had that one jetted. So my bike could be squirting too much fuel at 0 throttle... Guess I can try a smaller pilot jet and see how that goes, as it seems to run well on trail with the current main jet.

In fact, it seems to run well anytime the throttle is > 0. It just acts up very occasionally at 0.

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #2074
joyjoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
as you have an upgraded carb,
ask about jetting over on Thumpertalk.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/89032-drz250-02/
you might have something clogged in the carb.
take all the parts out and do a Pine Sol soak to start.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117
Check the float height. I will get the FCR carb from a CRF150R/RB if you want better performance. just need to extent a sleeve.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #2075
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
Check the float height. I will get the FCR carb from a CRF150R/RB if you want better performance. just need to extent a sleeve.
Ok, yeah, I found a post on Thumpertalk about the engine dying on steep downhills likely being a float issue (gets too rich and sputters out) - float needs to be set maybe 1 mm or 1.5 mm higher.

This is a good project for today, I'm sore from my ride yesterday. Now off to Youtube to see how to adjust the float, I don't think I've ever had to mess with that one before.

Thanks,
Michele

ETA: Ok, adjusted it, and it seems to be better on steep downhills. I might have reintroduced a little stumble when the throttle gets hit hard, though. It seems to stumble if it's at lower RPM and you hit throttle, but it's OK if it's revved up a little and you hit it. So prolly a little more tweaking is needed. I set the float to ~15.5mm. It was on 13mm before, which is about a mm lower than stock (stock should be 14). Gonna ride it for a bit in this config before messing with anything else.

Kitteh screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:04 PM
Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #2076
joyjoy
Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, yeah, I found a post on Thumpertalk about the engine dying on steep downhills likely being a float issue (gets too rich and sputters out) - float needs to be set maybe 1 mm or 1.5 mm higher.

This is a good project for today, I'm sore from my ride yesterday. Now off to Youtube to see how to adjust the float, I don't think I've ever had to mess with that one before.

Thanks,
Michele

ETA: Ok, adjusted it, and it seems to be better on steep downhills. I might have reintroduced a little stumble when the throttle gets hit hard, though. It seems to stumble if it's at lower RPM and you hit throttle, but it's OK if it's revved up a little and you hit it. So prolly a little more tweaking is needed. I set the float to ~15.5mm. It was on 13mm before, which is about a mm lower than stock (stock should be 14). Gonna ride it for a bit in this config before messing with anything else.
The stumble that you mentioned might be the main jet being too big. check the plug for the right colour. or the fuel screw adjustment. adjust the fuel screw so that the idleing is highest at that point.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #2077
Kitteh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
The stumble that you mentioned might be the main jet being too big. check the plug for the right colour. or the fuel screw adjustment. adjust the fuel screw so that the idleing is highest at that point.
Thanks - I thought I'd mess w/ the fuel screw next. Previous owner set that and I have not played with it yet.

I rode 50 miles or so yesterday without any problems. I got it to stumble a couple of times while playing with acceleration on the flats, but no other issues on 'real' terrain.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #2078
Kitteh
Adventurer

Can anyone recommend a tank bag that fits well? And maybe a rear fender bag for tools? I see there are a bunch for enduro bikes, but they look KLR sized. What fits DRZ250?

Got a new set of tires to wrestle with this weekend. Oh, the rude jokes I will not make.

Thanks!
Michele

Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #2079
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I use the Moose Fender Pack, seems to be the perfect size...

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/MO...AR-FENDER-PACK

I also use a Wolf Enduro Carry-All on the numberplate to stash my camera, wallet, etc.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/...rry-all-12.cfm
IBA #55309
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #2080
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,711
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a tank bag that fits well? And maybe a rear fender bag for tools? I see there are a bunch for enduro bikes, but they look KLR sized. What fits DRZ250?

Got a new set of tires to wrestle with this weekend. Oh, the rude jokes I will not make.

Thanks!
Michele
kinda pricey, but GL Mojavi. http://giantloopmoto.com/products/mojavi-saddlebag/ you've got side pockets for jacket or fuel bottles and top bag for tools.sits right on the rear fender.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #2081
joyjoy
Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks!
Michele
check out dirtbikebag.com. their product are handmade and price are reasonable. got mine and is difficult to waer them down. comes in all sort of sizes and purposes.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #2082
Kitteh
Adventurer

Thanks everyone!

I got a nice set of bags ordered. That will be very helpful... And now no excuses for not having my basic toolset and raingear with me. Sometimes I think I'm just gonna take a short ride and don't need all my stuff, and 50 miles later, when I'm lost (again) I think about all the gear I should have brought.

Ok, maybe I don't get bad lost, but the extensive networks of gas well roads around here is unreal.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #2083
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 534
Hey guys, how's DRZ250 life treating yall. So I have been out riding alot, and got my DRZ dialed in exactly how I wanted it for fast trail riding, and just all around fun.

Bad new: My DRZ250 got vandalized. Not sure who did it or why but instead of just stealing the bike, someone broke into my garage, spray painted the whole thing with a can of spray paint I had in the garage, and poored something in my fuel tank. What it was I am not exactly sure. They also cut every cord near my handlebars. Ignition, kill switch, and starter. I have been cleaning the metal, and have most of the blue paint off the engine and swing arm. The plastics will probably come clean with some more elbow grease and time.

I have been pricing everything I need. If my fuel switch was off, do you think just taking off the tank, cleaning it out real good, and letting it dry will be ok, or do I need to fork over the money on a new fuel tank? I prefer the OEM style tank because it keeps it lighter, but they are very expensive, so I would probably have to go to a bigger one.

Also, is there a way to bypass the ignition and just use the kick starter? That could save me some money.

Also I had the petcock in the on position. I know, I know bad bad redleg. What is the likely hood that the mixed fuel made its way into the engine if it hasn't been cranked at all since discovering this was done?

I am just wondering if this is about to become a parts bike, and start looking for another, or if this thing is salvageable. with new tank and switches It is over $1067 and some change. for another 1000 I could buy a 2001 used DRZ400S that is not that far of a drive from me but then I am back to trying to take a non trail oriented bike and use it for offroad purposes again. IDK. Just looking for some input from the smart guys around here.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #2084
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
fix your drz250

look on e-bay for good used parts

the switches are the same as other drz bikes. you might be able to solider the wires back to gather

i would flush the carb and tank then give it a try

lacquer thinner should remove the rattle can paint
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #2085
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 534
Ok, thanks. so for instance a DRZ E model switch should work to replace those parts?