Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #766
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
What combination of sprockets do you run?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #767
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
i dont have a front brake light right now but soon i might

i run a 12t front and stock rear offroad
on the road i run 15t front and stockish rear about stock for a road going drz250/djebel 250
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #768
turnenem
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 887
I'm running a 13t front, 51t rear combo and im down on top speed but making up for it in traction!
turnenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #769
turnenem
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 887
So I know bolting on mirrors is not a big deal, but it made me smile!
I have to use some roads and highways to get to the neighborhood riding areas and I have to make a little effort to conform to the rules after all! Since the state was kind enuff to give me plates on my word that my bike was legal.
I ordered a set of MSR DS mirrors from superstore for $13.95 each and I gotta say, they are sturdy little buggers!

One step closer to being street legal:

Now I just gotta take the time to read the old posts and figure the brake light switch deal. I am electrically challenged to the point that the wiring diagram prolly aint gona help. But it is still nice to have. (thanks tdr!) I only need it on 1 control so what ever is easier and cheaper is whats gonna happen!

Fizzer, did you get yours figured out?
turnenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #770
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
you can buy ds wyring harness
check out baja designs and some others sell a one harness fits most

i my rewyre my drz that way next time
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #771
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnenem View Post
I ordered a set of MSR DS mirrors from superstore for $13.95 each and I gotta say, they are sturdy little buggers!

One step closer to being street legal:

Nice mirrors. I was thinking of getting the Tusk mirrors
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=24701
but went ahead with these as I already had them (got from a forum member from another forum)

Quote:
Now I just gotta take the time to read the old posts and figure the brake light switch deal. I am electrically challenged to the point that the wiring diagram prolly aint gona help. But it is still nice to have. (thanks tdr!) I only need it on 1 control so what ever is easier and cheaper is whats gonna happen!

Fizzer, did you get yours figured out?
If you are asking about the brake light switch, my rear brake is already connected with a switch and it works, It is the front brake that I am not able to find a switch for to connect to the front brake lever. I am thinking of hacking up something just for the state inspection here.

I think the previous owner put in a baja wiring kit and so it has the wiring already for the front brake light , but no easy way to make a switch work.

The below picture should show the unused wires that are to be used for the front blinkers. Go for the rear brake switch if one working brake light is sufficient for you.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #772
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post

on the road i run 15t front and stockish rear about stock for a road going drz250/djebel 250
Quote:
I'm running a 13t front, 51t rear combo and im down on top speed but making up for it in traction!
Thanks guys, I need to look at what sprockets I run.

Took for a spin on Saturday after connecting the speedo cable. Seems like I max out at around 55 to 60 mph.

How long do you guys ride to and from the trails and how do you feel in the roads. If I had to do a 50 mile ride (one-way) to the trails and back, will the bike handle it.

My inspection is still on hold as the guy in one of the local inspection shop said that I needs both brake lights to work for the inspection to pass. So I need to do something before I take it for inspection .

Also one of my rear blinker burnt out from the heat of the exhaust when I took it for my first test run of a few miles a couple weeks ago. Yeah, I know, Stupid on my part.

So this is the replacement blinkers I have now. Not very pretty, but gets the job done. Now I need to just NOT break them.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #773
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post

Check K & S brake light switches--Dennis Kirk P/N 21-0370. Operates from front master cylinder.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #774
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennF33 View Post
Check K & S brake light switches--Dennis Kirk P/N 21-0370. Operates from front master cylinder.
May beee that might work for me too, but I need to figure out how to hook it up to the master cylinder.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #775
galusham
MotoMark

Oddometer: 20
Front brake switch

Hey Fizzerfz1,

Just hook up the same type of hydraulic switch that you put on the rear. You can get them through Baja Designs or elswhere for about $20.

Also, if you want the absolute best dual sport mirrors in the world, try these.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/dirt

I've tried them all and these are so much better than the rest. They are pricey, but you can adjust them, fold them down, or pop them off in about 3 seconds w/ no tools. They are also extremely durable. Made from some spacecraft-like polymer. I put some on my street legal xr200 and I'll never buy anything else. I bought the 3 inch extensions over the 2 inch ones and they are perfect!

good luck
galusham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #776
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galusham View Post
Hey Fizzerfz1,

Just hook up the same type of hydraulic switch that you put on the rear. You can get them through Baja Designs or elswhere for about $20.

Also, if you want the absolute best dual sport mirrors in the world, try these.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/dirt

I've tried them all and these are so much better than the rest. They are pricey, but you can adjust them, fold them down, or pop them off in about 3 seconds w/ no tools. They are also extremely durable. Made from some spacecraft-like polymer. I put some on my street legal xr200 and I'll never buy anything else. I bought the 3 inch extensions over the 2 inch ones and they are perfect!

good luck
Hey galusham, thanks for the tips. The mirrors are great, I had seen them before, but too f$$$ing expensive for me.

This hobby is killing all my funds and with multiple bikes (every one of them needs love/farkles every now and then) , I need to make some tough choices here

I have found a few brake switches here and all of them are less than $20, which is good.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/se...d=BRAKE+SWITCH

Can somebody post up a close up pic of how this switch is connected to the FRONT master cylinder? Doesn't matter which bike, just need to get an idea.

Which part do I need to replace (with the brake switch) in the diagram in the link below.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuk...m9724sch500634

fizzerfz1 screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 02:08 PM
fizzerfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #777
galusham
MotoMark

I like your choice of bikes. I've had 2 DR650's that I regret selling and plan to buy a 3rd one day. ProCycle sells so many cool things for the DR650, I will probably go broke...

I don't have any pics of the switch, but it basically just replaces the banjo bolt that connects the brake line w/ the brake resevoir. Just make sure you get the correct thread pitch. One is for nissin and one is for the brembo if not mistaken.

good luck
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #778
galusham
MotoMark

I just re-read your ealier post. It's part #11 in the diagram.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #779
galusham
MotoMark

Hey, at least you have hydraulic front brakes! Try connecting a brake switch to cable operated front brakes... I still haven't figured that one out yet...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #780
galusham
MotoMark

valve adjustment interval

If you don't mind me asking, how often do you have to check/adjust the valves? I've been thinking about picking up a DRZ250 one day when I get tired of beating up on my XR200, but I told myself I'd never buy another bike w/ shim under bucket valves again if I could help it. After owning a 250x, I'm just tired of removing cam chains and camshafts just to adjust the valves. Not super complicated, just a pain.

Thanks.