use the drz400 rear shock

all other suzuki bikes are great part bikes for the drz250
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1307
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I already have a 17" SM wheel set laced to my stock hubs. With 400S/E forks I'd need to get a longer travel rear shock to balance things out too. I'm just looking for a nice and easy way to get an adjustable cartridge front end. I don't ride off road any more. If I did the 400's 49mm front end would be great.

Tech23
Couldn't you just lower the forks in the triples a little?

Sweet bike by the way, someday I want a motarded 650! I've got 17's for my 400 as well!!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #1308
cm75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Got a question for ya'll. On my bike,I seem to have a hard time finding neutral sometimes when riding. Have any of you have this problem too? This is not my first bike,but my first dual sport. Didn't know if it is just a drz thing or not.BTW, it's a 2003 model.Thanks.
cm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #1309
DRool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
You may need to adjust the clutch cable, it worked on mine with the same issue. Steve
DRool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #1310
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Also, given that the DRZ shares it's engine and tranny oil, it will get dirty quickly. Keep the oil fresh, and without starting an oil battle thread, I've had great success with full Ester based synthetics, like Silkolene or Motul.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #1311
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm75 View Post
Got a question for ya'll. On my bike,I seem to have a hard time finding neutral sometimes when riding. Have any of you have this problem too? This is not my first bike,but my first dual sport. Didn't know if it is just a drz thing or not.BTW, it's a 2003 model.Thanks.
I have only Suzuki thumpers, so I would say that clunky shifting is a Suzuki thumper thing and since there is no neutral light on the 250, you will just have to get used to it... I am not sure how the other thumpers are...

The neutral on my 250 is a bit trickier than on my 650...so I think it is normal...nothin to worry about...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1312
cm75
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for everyones responses! I figured it was just a trait of the bike,but just wanted to ask around.Again,thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #1313
roleyrev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Wicked Been Riding!

Hi all,

Went on a ride yesterday - Organised by the Waiua School - Huranui, New Zealand. Great ride! lunch provided awsome senary and riding -perfect day! > The ride gave me a good chance to test the mods that I have made to the bike. 1. Open the airbox up with three extra 32mm holes (as per "How to uncork your DRZ250") 2. removed the weld in the headder and the bored the exhaust tip to 32mm (also as per "How to uncork your DRZ250") 3.fitted a DynoJet kit, with new needle (a different profile than standard) and a set of jets, that you select by what modifiactions you have carried out. I only fitted the Dynojet kit because I had trouble sourcing the standard jets locally. Results: Brilliant! . Nice bottom end, fatter mid and not much tail off in the top, I was able to keep changing up on most hill climbs, except for the super steep that were carried out in 2nd gear. Check out "waiau trail ride" on youtube for video

Cheers John

Awsome Riding Country

Spot me on the DRZ - Im the old fart with the silver hair!
roleyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #1314
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
very nice

i have more hair than i do
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #1315
AlexD92
DR-Z 250

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
I always seem to find neutral when I least need it...and it usually results in a crash...
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #1316
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:

I'm thinking it's just in your wording of your question, I don't see the need for finding neutral while your riding..I'm sure you mean you have difficulty finding neutral when stopped...right? Like the others said make sure the clutch has the proper free play and the cable and cable ends are lubed.

From lots of road riding miles I can tell you it's always much easier to find neutral while the bike is still rolling...just before coming to a stop. I know this isn't always possible off road but it's a fact. If you know when and where you will need to stop trying downshifting and going for neutral while the bike is still in motion...this doesn't mean downshift into first gear at 60 MPH! Downshift into first an an appropriate speed and select neutral while still moving...the transmission will easily go into neutral every time. If you come to a complete stop then try to find neutral it's more difficult to select.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 10:36 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #1317
cm75
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I'm thinking it's just in your wording of your question, I don't see the need for finding neutral while your riding..I'm sure you mean you have difficulty finding neutral when stopped...right? Like the others said make sure the clutch has the proper free play and the cable and cable ends are lubed.

From lots of road riding miles I can tell you it's always much easier to find neutral while the bike is still rolling...just before coming to a stop. I know this isn't always possible off road but it's a fact. If you know when and where you will need to stop trying downshifting and going for neutral while the bike is still in motion...this doesn't mean downshift into first gear at 60 MPH! Downshift into first an an appropriate speed and select neutral while still moving...the transmission will easily go into neutral every time. If you come to a complete stop then try to find neutral it's more difficult to select.

Tech23
Yeah,thats what I meant! Sorry for the confusion. I've ridden many street only bikes and always had an easy time finding neutral on them,just not on the drz! Thanks for ya'lls responses.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #1318
Gavrila
Easy ADVRider

Oddometer: 8
I know this girl!
Shi is on djebel. And shi is not cut out in this situation!!!

Gavrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #1319
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Wow!!! That's deeper than I think I'd try.......did she make it across?

The deepest water crossing I've ever done was about mid-calf.......
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #1320
AlexD92
DR-Z 250

Oddometer: 78
I've gone through deep water and almost died of fear of killing my bike. But my experiences turn pale in comparison with THAT! It's just insane.
AlexD92 is offline   Reply With Quote