User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #16
PbdBlue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I just downloaded the file from the site Christian directed me to. Ran it and it reinstalled over v6.14.1 no problem. No need to uninstall.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #17
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
OK it's gone. I just ran an older installation file. What a relief to be rid of that beast and have responsive software back. Garmin should be embarrassed about this. It also makes me worry that they are going for looks of function. Give me lean, mean, and clean.
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #18
PbdBlue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Well I filed a tech support request stating that I was unhappy with it and asking how to get a copy of the older software. They referred me to the same site Christian posted. Maybe if they get enough bad reports they'll get the message. I've heard rumor that Garmin monitors this forum but I don't know if there's any truth to that. Let's hope they wake up on this one!
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,010
Interesting. It works fine on my laptop, but it has a couple of gigs of memory and pretty good video. Screen refreshes are good and all my existing mapsets all load. I have CN NT 2008 and 2009, Topo 2008, and a Baja Expeditioner sample.

Looks to me like they made the maps look more like they do in the Mac version of Mapsource.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #20
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Yup. Like the rest of you, I "downgraded" back to 6.13.7 after suffering through a few days of super-slow screen refreshes with 6.14.1.

I don't mind the new map look; some of the small trails and 4x4 roads in the various Topo maps are definitely easier to distinguish from the topo lines themselves.

Here's to hoping that Garmin can make a few code optimizations and get it right for 6.14.2.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
jackr
2008 KTM 950 SE

Oddometer: 226
Thanks for the info, I'm not even going to bother "upgrading?" until I hear that they have the bugs worked out. Members of other dedicated GPS forums are all complaining about 6.14.1 also.
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #22
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
...I don't mind the new map look; some of the small trails and 4x4 roads in the various Topo maps are definitely easier to distinguish from the topo lines themselves....
I like the new look too and, yes, the appearance of roads on Topo 08 sure has improved. But I'm downgrading too -- performance is just too slow on this 1.6gHz laptop with 2gB RAM. I may install 6.14.1 on the 3.1 gHz desktop with 4 gB memory for comparison.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
I got a glimpse of the "new look" Mapsource in it's beta form. It does indeed suck and the new look is a large step backwards IMO.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #24
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,323
No problems here with the upgrade. The three mapsets all work fine without reinstallation, but all are Garmin.

To my eyes, the map depiction it looks a little more polished - Garmin had to do something here because the old version was looking seriously clunky. Screen refreshes seem a little slower, but only slightly so. My laptop is no great shakes (has integrated graphics) but is a Core 2 Duo and new generations of applications do tend to take better advantage of multiple processors.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue
Anybody else tried this version yet? They changed the way the map is displayed to make it look more like a road map. Unfortunately the display is incredibly slow.
Yes. I happened to be on Garmin's site the day it came out, downloaded and installed it.

I do prefer the way the maps look now, but I have noticed it being a bit slow.

Quote:
The old version (6.13.7) was seamless when you panned so I'm in the process of reverting back. Luckily one of my buddies has a copy of v6.13.7.
One of the reasons I store all versions of both MapSource and unit software. Gotta problem? No sweat...install a previous version.

Quote:
The only other version Garmin has on their site is v6.11.5 which is over two years old and won't load gdb files that I created with more current revs! What were they thinking????
Just because someone has a certificate on the wall, doesn't make them intelligent. I remember trying to teach some of them something as easy as how to fly an aircraft; they certainly weren't airline material.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #26
auRoscoe
Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer: 460
I know my PC is old, but I didn't think it was 'that' old. Anyway, I installed the update and it runs very slow, I'd say it's loading the maps and applying a new render to it. Looks much better but on my old AMD 64 XP 3500+ with 2GB of memory it just doesn't work.

Back to and older version which is a shame, it looks good.

auRoscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Tried it on the 3.1gHz duocore machine with 4gb memory and it's snappy enough to tolerate. Went back to the previous version on the slower laptop. It's now much easier to see roads with Topo using the new version.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Yea, good grief. What a resource hog.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #29
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,779
Being the electronic pack rat that I am, I reinstalled v6.13.7 from my downloads directory.

Much faster.

It did take 2 installs under Vista. Who knows why, but it did work.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #30
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
It f&%*king sucks

Speeds not an issue with a dual core at 3GHz with 4 gig ram but it will not read my topo maps (garmin software) I can't remember what error I get but I get an error not a message to reload. After screwing around installing older versions its still fubar and I ended up totally uninstalling mapsource and city navigator and reinstalling from scratch with my disks which is version 6.5 but at least it works. Other than a different look is there enough improvement in version 6.14.1 to warrant rushing it to market scabbed together and buggy? WTF garmin you cost me several hours out of a nice sunny day getting my shit back together and working
David_S is offline   Reply With Quote