Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
dandini OP
Dan

Oddometer: 9
690 enduro - lowering?

Hi all,
This is my first request for help so please be gentle with me.

I am located in Surrey UK, and am the proud owner of a KTM 690 enduro which I am intending to ride to New York from UK overland next June. Whaaat? Yep you heard right!

I've done 600 miles so far, I am very happy with the bike (be even happier when my AKRO gets here!), but I have a problem with the seat height as i'm 5'6" (and a girl..). For travelling I need to drop 1-2". I've looked at the shock and it doesn't seem like it can be shortened enough without losing all the available travel, so I'm looking at changing the linkages - is it an option to swap the linkages with any of the other 690 bikes? Does anyone have any other ideas? Carving the seat is a final resort...

dandini screwed with this post 07-25-2008 at 12:08 PM
dandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandini
I am intending to ride to New York from UK overland next June. Whaaat? Yep you heard right!
Aren't you going to get a little wet?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 376
"...ride to New York from UK overland..."

So you've just fisihed reading this and now you're inspired?
Good on ya'.

from http://www.loisontheloose.com/

Cheers, Magile
Attached Images

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
dandini OP
Dan

Cool2

Brave girl - I did the 10k mile loop from Santiago down to Ushuaia and back up though Argentina, Boliva and Peru to Santiago on a GS650 a few years ago and the strength of the wind in Patagonia has to be experienced to believed even on a heavier bike - no wonder Lois got blown off a million times on ruta 40 on her tiny Serow. I didn't read the book but I've seen her give the talk a couple of times -highly entertaining!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Nick250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Hi all,

I am located in Surrey UK, and am the proud owner of a 690 enduro which I am intending to ride to New York from UK overland next June. Whaaat? Yep you heard right!

I've done 600 miles so far, I am very happy with the bike (be even happier when my AKRO gets here!), but I have a problem with the seat height as 'm 5'6" (and a girl..). For travelling I need to be a tad more comfortable and need to drop 1-2". I've looked at the shock and it doesn't seem like it can be shortened enough without losing all the available travel, so I'm looking at changing the linkages - is it an option to swap the linkages with any of the other 690 bikes? Does anyone have any other ideas? Carving the seat is a final resort...
Any bike can be lowered, but the means (and therefore cost) by which you can do it depends on the individual bike. Maybe it is obvious to others but "690 enduro" is not enough info for me to figure out what bike you have.

I am short too and the Suzuki DR650 I own comes from the factory with a lowering link built it (gets you about 1.5" or so).

Nick

Old Rides:'77 Kawa KZ650, '79 Yamaha IT175, '79 Suz GS1000, '80 Suz PE175, '82 Honda XR200, '83 Honda 750 Interceptor, '84 Husky WR250, '86 Husky WR250, '87 Husky WR400.
Nick250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
SnapCracklePop
Re-Noobified

Oddometer: 7
As far as I know the only "690 enduro" is the new KTM 690 Enduro.
It (and the previous LC4 bikes) has a shock linkage , unlike the other KTM dirt bikes.
If someone made a "lowering link" for this bike , that could fix your problem (and mine ) - but I haven't found one yet - I think the bike's too new.
The older lc4 used 2 'dogbone' links, whereas the 690 has combined them into a one-piece link and I don't see how you could use the old version.
I also looked at the other 690 models - they all seem to use the same link.
I tried Kouba Link ( http://koubalink.com/ ) who makes a LOT of different links (including the older LC4s) but nothing for the 690E.
I tried their email link on the website to ask about it but got no reply. I've seen other companies that make lowering links, but nothing for the 690 yet.
I'm also in the queue for a Renazco seat , but they told me you can't get more than a half-inch out of the seat.
I've beat up the preload ring on my shock but it just doesn't want to turn - I might take the shock out and try to loosen it to get a little lowering thru the preload.

Otherwise I guess we just gotta be patient - and keep bugging companies like Kouba about making a link for our bikes.

Sorry I'm not any real help...

Rick

'08 KTM 690 Enduro
SnapCracklePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Hi all,

I am located in Surrey UK, and am the proud owner of a 690 enduro which I am intending to ride to New York from UK overland next June. Whaaat? Yep you heard right!

I've done 600 miles so far, I am very happy with the bike (be even happier when my AKRO gets here!), but I have a problem with the seat height as 'm 5'6" (and a girl..). For travelling I need to be a tad more comfortable and need to drop 1-2". I've looked at the shock and it doesn't seem like it can be shortened enough without losing all the available travel, so I'm looking at changing the linkages - is it an option to swap the linkages with any of the other 690 bikes? Does anyone have any other ideas? Carving the seat is a final resort...
Carving the seat is not a problem. I would talk to people that revalve the shock and forks and ask them if they can shorten the travel thereby reducing the sag height. Losing travel is not a problem either as long as the suspension still works within its travel range.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Motobrandt
Free Opinions Here

Oddometer: 630
I remember the dealer I bought my bike from Motosports in Boise, ID saying that he was a friend or knew someone at kouba link and that they were already working on a lowering link.

PM Idahojoe he's the cool guy that sold me my bike.
Motobrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
You might want to take a second look at shortening the rear shock. You will reduce the travel, but you have to do that unless you want to have the wheel hitting the fender regularly. That happens a lot with the lowering links.

Because of the leverage of the swingarm, you only need to shorten the shock 1/2" or so to give you a 2" drop.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
dandini OP
Dan

This is the email I had from Norm at Koubalink...

We are working on a proto type now that should lower the rear approx 2", but may be 2-3 months before we have anything ready to go. Thanks for your inquiry and please let us know if we can help with anything.

Norm Kouba
Home of the KoubaLink
www.koubalink.com
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
This is the email I had from Norm at Koubalink...

We are working on a proto type now that should lower the rear approx 2", but may be 2-3 months before we have anything ready to go. Thanks for your inquiry and please let us know if we can help with anything.

Norm Kouba
Home of the KoubaLink
www.koubalink.com
you can lower the suspension internal with custom made spacers ,I do suspension for a leaving ,if you no any shop in england the can install theme for you i can send you a set o spacers and shorter springs ,just let me no
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Love the bike but i'm short of inseam too. Good luck with the process. Personaly, I would lower the shocks internaly.
A
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
trallewatsch58
Steve

Oddometer: 0
hope you make the trip and enjoy it.
Check out the 690 Threadfest....
As for the suspension: every good KTM dealer can lower the bike with internal spacers as mentioned above.
But consider to get used to that nimble bike first before sacrificing offroadworthiness.

good luck

Ciao
Stefan

2008 KTM 690 E since April 4th 2008

1990 Honda NX 650 @ 29000 km
Sold: 2003 KTM 950 Adventure, 2001 Suzuki DR400Z, 1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 , 1995 Honda CB 200, 1988 BMW R100GS , 1986 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1985 Yamaha XT 350, 1984 Kawasaki KL250, 1981 BMW R 65, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1979 Yamaha DT 175, 1978 Honda CB 400T, 1977 Honda XL 250, 1976 Yamaha RD125
trallewatsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #14
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
you can lower the suspension internal with custom made spacers ,I do suspension for a leaving ,if you no any shop in england the can install theme for you i can send you a set o spacers and shorter springs ,just let me no
+1 here
I would consider asking a shop to do the lowering. The forks need shorter springs and rebound bushings. The rear needs links or stops in the shock. A good shop will know how to dial your bike in for you, your load, and riding conditions. The can really raise the quality of your riding experince. For a long trip like the one that you are planning for having the work done professionally is well worth the cost.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
dr644
KTMrider

Oddometer: 54
Has anyone tried KoubaLink lowering link?

I was wondering if anyone tried the KoubaLink Lowering link yet. It looks very nice.

dr644 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 06:17 PM
dr644 is offline   Reply With Quote