User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #31
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Great thread.

My first bike was an '82 Seca 650, and I grew up in Lancaster, PA. So, your photos look just like my mid-80s youth of houliganism and no worries.

My HS GF also went to Cornell, so I tool many trips up to Ithaca to see her (before my lack of ambition and devotion to touring motorcycles made her look for someone more her academic and economic equal). ;-)

My college-age transcontinental trips on the Seca galvanized my academic resolve and taught me so much about my own resiliency. I credit them as some of the most significant formative events in my life. Congratulations for doing it in the spirit of exploration and buddy adventure. This will be a fount of stories for a lifetime.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #32
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,585

I've ridden both the 82 Seca 750 and the XS500C.

Did the Seca rider tape over the big red warning light?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #33
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto

I've ridden both the 82 Seca 750 and the XS500C.

Did the Seca rider tape over the big red warning light?
Even better, he took out the bulb
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #34
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,141
Sweet post! I'm cross linking from HT ;)
Fishyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #35
Shustrik
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
That was 1987 though; guess I'm old
Now I know when the biker feel himself old - just to see how the youth are traveling on old bikes which were new in your youth time... :-)))
Shustrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #36
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
This'll be a good read. I'm pretty tired of ride reports from the guys with every top dollar piece of equipment. Those old bikes will make it for sure, you might have a few hurdles, but if they're running now, you can make it full circle. I've rebuilt a TX500, CSR650, and a XJ750 - so I'm very familiar with the bikes on your trip. I've owned several of each actually. If you have any mechanical questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

Also, Cornell is a great school. I went to slope day in 2006 and 2007, had a blast. I'm even working with them on a big web dev gig (if the presentation goes well).

Anyway. Cheers to a great idea and some great old bikes.

Old bikes rule.
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #37
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,937
Good stuff!

Thanx for the link, Kayakgk. That also looks like a great read.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #38
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,577

Great report, please continue.

Too bad you didn't stop by casa de bosco, we have an 8-person banya for your sweating pleasure. (my freind Sergie tells me that only the "mafia" allow women in their banya?)
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #39
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco

(my freind Sergie tells me that only the "mafia" allow women in their banya?)
Haha, I see where he's coming from. Traditionally, it is definitely a man's thing to do, getting the temperature up to 100 or so degrees (Celsius ) and really sweating.

I guess the mafia, and "Noviye Ruskiye" (New Russians) don't really follow tradition.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #40
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7

In the morning, the TX got its valves adjusted (only that one valve needed to be loosened up), and some others got chains lubed and adjusted, the Seca and CX500 have shaft drive, the lucky bastards.

We didn't get far. About 12 miles from the campsite, just short of Colombia, TN, the KZ650 started losing power. In my mirror I could see that the headlight was unusually dim. We pulled over and my brother got to work. First thing they checked were loose connections. Second, they looked into the possibility of a blown rectifier. After much trouble shooting, a conclusion was reached that the alternator had shorted out somewhere.

A guy on a Harley pulled over and offered his help. He told us where the local Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership was and even offered to get his pickup truck to haul the bike over. We thanked him for his help but declined using the truck. We swapped over a battery from one of the other bikes, disconnected the headlight and all other lights and made it over to the dealership.

Since we were already significantly behind schedule for the day and we were at a dealership, we decided to put new tires on the KZ650, which could really use some. My brother continued to try and find the problem, going as far as taking part of the alternator out of the bike.

The folks at the dealership were very nice, and didn't mind us taking apart ratty old bikes apart right in front of the dealership.

We finally got back on the road, but stopped by a RadioShack to buy a butance powered soldering iron. Some of the connections on the walkie-talkie helmet systems were getting crappy.

At this point we were still thinking the KZ650's alternator was toast, so Anton rode without a headlight and I swapped batteries with him every so often. We decided to spring for a hotel that evening, and ended up paying $70 to stay at a decent place. We made sauteed green beans and pasta that evening, and watched some WWF smackdown An relaxing end to a stressful day.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #41
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
Those old bikes will make it for sure, you might have a few hurdles, but if they're running now, you can make it full circle. I've rebuilt a TX500, CSR650, and a XJ750 - so I'm very familiar with the bikes on your trip. I've owned several of each actually. If you have any mechanical questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

Old bikes rule.
Thanks for the offer, but like I said before, we're already back from the trip!
I'm just writing up the report now. Just wait till I get to the part in Kansas, you're gonna see some real "mechanical issues!"
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #42
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,898
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #43
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8

Today was officially a "rest day" but since we already took over half a day off messing with the KZ650 the day before, we unanimously agreed to make today another "half day." The two god fearing individuals in our group went to mass, while the rest of us watched TV and packed our things.

Next, we went to Fort Donelson, the site of a Civil War battle that is considered to be the Union's first victory. It was very well done, and the A/C was much appreciated.

We stopped by a grocery store and stocked up on lunch foods: PB&J, watermelon, energy drinks.

We swam in a bay of the Tennessee river, which was piss warm and had a bunch of dead fish floating in it.

We kept riding and eventually made it to the Kentucky border.

that evening we finally made it to the Mississippi, and stayed in an almost deserted campground. It was $25 a night, somewhat pricey, but showers were free . For dinner we had burgers cooked on a griddle and two camp stoves.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #44
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,867
Great story! You guys made the trip that I only dreamed of making at your age. Unfortunately, I could not gather the courage to buy a motorcycle with out askind my father permission (he hates em) until I turned 40!

I hope to make my first cross country trip next year.

I look forward to the rest of your story.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #45
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Great Report so far !
It's back to the future...in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G
... until I turned 40!
I hope to make my first cross country trip next year.
know what... I'll be 40 this year and I hope I'll be able to do such a trip !!!
And why not next year ?
Let me buy a lotterie ticket before.....

Keep going this Excellent Report, guys.

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote