Oddometer: 1,552
BushwickKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #63
rdw240
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
After lunch at an overpriced trendy coffee shop we headed back up to the BRP by way of Route 215. This was one of my favorite roads on the trip, it's almost as twisty as the Dragon but with barely any traffic
This was always part of our favorite loop! Camping on 276 at Blue Ridge M/C. Then run 276 to 215 back up to BRP and back down 276 (the good part)! First on an '86 VFR and later years an RC51.
Great report BTW!

-RDW
rdw240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #64
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,524
Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #65
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Question

racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #66
QUICKSTEEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Well it's obvious something happened in MO. I'd say this report is finished.

QUICKSTEEL screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 11:50 PM
QUICKSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 AM   #67
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:

DAMN they r some BIG Ants!
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #68
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Keep it coming! I'm working on getting my 1983 Suzuki running again and this just gives me more incentive.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown

vtwin screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 07:15 AM
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #69
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Talking Day 10 and 11

Sorry for not continuing the story guys, life got in the way (summer job, getting ready for class, me being lazy, , etc)

So, where was I? Oh yes, riding across Missouri.

We set off from out friend's house, but not before I burned my hands cooking oatmeal . I soaked my gloves in cold water to deal with the second degree burns that had formed disgusting blisters (I'll spare the pics).

At a diner in the middle of nowhere, Missouri, we chatted with an old gent. Upon hearing we were from NY, he told us that he didn't "want to have anything to do with NY." Anton smartly answered "That's why we left."
The nice old man didn't want anything to do with California, as he told us after we told him that's where we were headed. He then tried to convince us all to join the armed forces, stating that "they could use 5 guys like you right now." While I have nothing but the utmost respect for the US armed forces and its veterans, telling motorcyclists on a cross country that you met in a diner to join up is a little unnerving.

The rest of the ride into Kansas City, where we were staying at another friend's house was uneventful. Kansas City itself was a beautiful, modern city with a great downtown area. Plenty of great looking broads as well .
(Sorry, no photos of the ladies)

That's a little weird isn't it?

Cool fountain:

After a good night's sleep, we set off across Kansas. While gassing up in a non descript location, a man in his 50s walked up and started chatting with us. He told us about his brother who also went to Cornell, etc. The usual stuff people talked to us about when they heard we were from NY on our way to CA. He went back to his humongous F-350 SuperDuty Diesel DeathMachine (pretty popular in those parts) and came back with his card. he told us that he owned a Subway furthur out West, right about where we would be stopped for lunch. He graciously offered us a free lunch ("Just show Betty this card and you'll be all set!"). When we got there, Betty was already in the know, and we sat down to delicious foot long subs (they taste even better when they're free).

After lunch we rode as best we could against the cross/head winds of Kansas. Fuel economy was in the gutter, and my bike wasn't running any better (4000-5000 rpm delay was spreading and becoming more noticeable).
We stopped to take a break, durign which the wind blew over Brandon's TX500. The bike was relatively unharmed, minus the ball end of a brake lever.

As we neared our destination, Lake Kanapolis State Park, we stopped at a Walmart Supercenter to stock up on food. Coming out of the store, we noticed some pretty threatening looking clouds in the direction we were heading. Also, the wind head changed direction and we now head a 40mph or so tail wind. Nearing the Lake, on a totally unpopulated road, we took advantage of the tailwind situation and tested out the high speed capabilities of our bikes. The poorly running XS500 managed an indicated 105mph, with 700rpm or so left in reserve. I figured if the bike was going to die soon, might as well get my money's worth. We then pulled over and donned rain gear and boasted about speeds achieved.

We rode through Marquette, Kansas, and noticed that there was a local motorcycle museum. Intrigued, we pulled over to look at what the hours were. While Anton and Vanya were looking at the hours, Brandon, Tom, and I were waiting on the side of the road. A pickup rolls by, then reverses back past to get a look at the License plates.

"Holy Shit! You guys rode those bikes all the way from New York?!" Asked the bearded, tatooed man. He told us that there was a storm coming and it looked pretty serious. He offered to drive out to the edge of town to get a better look. Seeing as the town was 1 street with a traffic light, this didn't take long. He came back (the other two in our group were back by now) and told us that he didn't think it was a good idea to stay up at the Lake. He offered us to stay in an old Winnebago he had in his yard instead. Partly out of fear of the storm, and partly out of looking for an adventure, we agreed.

We cooked dinner and put all of our stuff in the RV.

We had a small TV which we tuned into the local news/weather channel.

Apparently we were going to get hit by a tornado.

At this point the wind was picking up and the sky was getting dark. As it turned out, our host, ("People call me Grizz.") was the owner of the local bar called 'Horses and Hawgs.' Using common sense and infallible logic, we figured our chances of survival were better in a brick bar sandwiched between two other brick buildings than a Winnebago. Also, the bar had beer.

As we watched the weather channel on the TV and downed pitchers of Coors and Bud (the two things the bar served) the tornado siren went off. At this point, even the locals were starting to look a bit troubled. As Grizz wisely put it, "When you see me running that's when you should run." He also stated that the scene in 'Twister' where the cows were flying around and the people were driving the car along was "Bullshit. When you see cows flying, that means you're flying with 'em" said Grizz.

After our fourth pitcher some of us assumed a sort of relaxed fatalistic state of repose, others forgot about the tornado altogether. After another half hour of chatting with the other bar goers, the power went out. On the bright side (no pun intended) the tornado siren turned off. We went back to our RV and watched the TV there. It started hailing pretty bad, the particles were about the size of small grapes, the largest hail I've seen.

We went to bed too tired to care about what condition we'd find ourselves our our bikes in the morning.

XS500RUS screwed with this post 08-28-2008 at 10:45 AM
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #70
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
DANG! another 'Cliffhanger'! lol

Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #71
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
COOL!!

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #72
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,524
Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #73
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,278
Quote:
and partly out of looking for an adventure, we agreed.

Keep it coming!
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #74
AnthonyD
Nothing to see here...

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
...After another half hour of chatting with the other bar goers, the power went out. On the bright side (no pun intended) the tornado siren turned off. We went back to our RV...
hmmm.. power goes out, siren goes out... tornado must have gone out too.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #75
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,566
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote