Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #91
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_Stamp
See, that's all bullshit when people say they don't make kids like they used to.

DLS
+1 to that. I have some older folks in my life that love to spin how they were the last of the tough, yadda, yadda.

Ride on intrepid youth!
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #92
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Day 15

Today was officially a 'rest day,' but early on in the trip we decided to sort of make them relaxed half days to keep on schedule. We got up a little later, and Vanya treated us to some excellent pancakes...made on a campfire!

Next, we got the idea to climb up a butte that was a short hike away from our campsite. It wasn't any trail or anything like that, and that made it all the more satisfying, sort of like a feeling of discovery and conquest.

Starting out:

Getting closer:

Almost to the top!

The view from the top:

We spent about half an hour on top, taking it all in. I'd love to come back to Gunnison Valley some time with something a bit mroe dirt capable like a KLR, maybe in a couple of years

We descended, took a quick dip in the lake (cold!) and then packed. The ride was fairly uneventful, if very scenic.

Anton and Tom discussing the merits of $.25 a gallon gas.

I don't have any photos of where we camped out, it was near the Utah border in a state campground. Totally unexceptional, I prefer the sketchy free spots

Utah was next.
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #93
simondippenhall
Simondippenhall

Oddometer: 113
Rr

Great report, well done. Admire your engineering skills!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=ashdod
simondippenhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #94
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondippenhall
Great report, well done. Admire your engineering skills!
My brother is the one with the golden hands. I'm sort of an apprentice, I am intrusted with smaller work, although now that he's off to grad school I've been working on a spare XS500C, trying my hand at carb cleaning, valve adjustment, setting points, etc. My brother's the one who is undaunted by using a dinky chain breaker to seperate a timing chain, or to repair a torn drive chain (I forgot to mention this earlier, the KZ650 broke it's chain in Colorodo) on the side of the road. He is also the one who expertly plumbed in the spare Yamaha rectifier into the KZ650. Without him, I'd probably still be in Kansas
Old 08-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #95
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
In into this report it has everthing: old bikes , great freinds all you need now is an Alaska titty bar or a sunken sidecar of doom
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #96
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 16

We managed to get packed and on the road by 8am this morning. We got to the border pretty quickly:

We stopped by some state park with a lot of natural arches, I forget the name.

Nearing lunch time, my brother looked on the map and saw a lake sort of on the way. As it turned out, it was 3 miles of red sand/gravel road, to get to a parking lot, but then another half mile or so of offroading to actually get to the water. The temperature was pretty extreme, we estimated over 110 in the sun. We hid out under some low trees and ate lunch: the usual PB&J and canned tuna. Most of the party was displeased with my brother's decision to come to this location, as they aren't huge fans of off road riding. Considering the fact that we were a long ways from home, and the last thing we needed was more undue stress on the old bikes, they had a point. Personally, I can't get enough of sand/gravel and rocks. My brother and I unloaded our bikes and headed up the jeep trail to the water. Unloaded, the XS500 still weighs in at 450+ lbs wet, and the Seca a good 525lbs. With a few near front end wash outs and pucker moments we made it to the lake.

Back on the road somewhere:

We gassed up in Hanksville (I have no idea why I remember this town's name, of all places. ) and rode to Captial Reef park.

We cooked up a great dinner of potatoes, corn nibblets with sauteed carrots, and smoked squid and mussels (broadening our horizons )

Tomorrow we'd have a relatively short ride to Bryce Canyon.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #97
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Great stuff...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #98
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,607

Thanks for posting this - it's a treat to read.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #99
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #100
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922

I can relate, I've always ridden bikes of vintage and dubious character.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #101
ILLTC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
cool ride report!
ILLTC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #102
xbhpindia
Indian Rider

Oddometer: 46
Nice Adventure there!

Keep it coming!
xbhpindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #103
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Old 09-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #104
XS500RUS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 17

We rode about half a day's worth and were in Bryce Canyon by lunch time. I really do hate the slow speed limits and all of the traffic in the national parks. Sometimes the road is interesting and twisty, but you're stuck behind a camper and there's nothing you can do

We ate lunch (PB&J) at our campsite, which cost $12. This doesn't seem like much, but considering the fact that I ALREADY paid to get in the park with my $60 national park pass, it seems unfair.

We hiked down into the Canyon, looked at teh 'hoodoo' rock formations, and went back up. This was nowhere as good as the unnamed butte hike several days earlier, despite the beauty of Bryce, it still felt like a total tourist trap.

We went to take showers, and I was absolutely floored: $2 for 10 minutes?! First of all, I already paid TWICE for everything. Secondly, I don't need 10 minutes to take a shower. Some of you may be wondering why I'm making a big deal out of $2. While I am on a pretty tight budget ($10 on things besides gas per person per day was doable if we cooked our own food) it's mostly a matter of principle. When you're in a national park, they've got you by the balls. Where else are you going to take a shower? We ate out for the first time (minus Subways) at Ruby's Inn restaurant and buffet. The food was OK, but it was all you can eat so I was more than OK with the mediocre quality given unlimited quantity.

Sorry for the lack of motorcycling related photos, but most of our day was spent out of the saddle

Tomorrow we would ride to the Grand Canyon Southern Rim.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #105
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
We bought stuff for sandwiches at an extremely overpriced SafeWay, I guess it's more expensive to truck stuff out to Salida, CO than many other places. We turned off the road and went down an unmarked dirt track and found an excellent clearing in the woods right by an ice cold stream. We took our time eating lunch, and then wetting our feet in the water and drying off in the sun.
I wish I knew you guys were rolling through Salida, I would have met up with you. I've been camped out here for 8 days. And yes, that Safeway is expensive, I just ate lunch there a couple hours ago.

Glad you're making progress. Kick butt!
kta is offline   Reply With Quote