Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
amk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
What is the most comfortable/practical cruiser?

Have not had such type of motorcycle yet, but they are appealing to me by their build quality, low maintenance shafts, and by their price.
I have ridden c50 and Vstar 1100 so far, Vstar won hands down, due to more comfort, C50 was excessively harley like: foots too far away, hands too broad, and so force.
What cruiser was built not to be similar or better stylish than harley, but built for practical/economical/comfortable long haul? No harley though…
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
97 honda valkyrie

amk,way back in 97 honda decided to make a cruiser using their 1500 6 cylinder engine.it red-lined at 6.5 rpm and produced 106 rear wheel horsepower.it is not a V-twin.i bought mine at wisconsin cycle salvage in 03 for $4K.it had been dumped a couple times and was salvaged twice.since then ive put 57K miles on it.the salvage yard owner smiled when i asked him to put an extra coat of wax on before i picked it up and said,"most guys dont ride the bikes out of the yard."guess im not most guys them.weve been cruisin together alot...named it the JUNKYARD dog.its alot of bang for the buck.and took the MOTORCYCLE cruising market 10 years to get up to 106 horsepower with the KAW2000..and honda quit making the valkyrie in 03 in favor of the ill-fated 04RUNE.good luck.mines still with me after 5 years.its not real purdy but its very fast for a cruiser.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,796
totally depends on what you want a cruiser to do...
If you need a "practical" Harley there are two choice
Dyna superglide sport (used)
Or Road King.

If you looking for something cheaper.
Honda VTX1300 but it's still a "BIG" bike.

If your looking for something smaller
I'd go for the chain driven VT750 spirit or A.C.E.
Simple, cheap great gas mileage. and it's a Honda.

Otherwise I'd look outside of the "cruiser" mainstream
and get a Triumph Bonnie or a Kawasaki W650
For me these bikes have more style and way more comfort then a cruiser.
But my back doesn't do well on cruiser style bikes.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
If I was wanting to do some serious miles, I think I'd really consider a big scooter. To my eye, they seem way more comfortble than a typical hog-type bike.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,511
Honda 750 Spirit or Suzuki 800 Intruder

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
old school
FUBAR

Oddometer: 124
I had a V-star 1100 Custom for a while. I think mine was an '02, but I don't remember for sure.

It was a really good bike: handled well, very comfortable, plenty of power.

One of the things I liked about it was that it is one of the few non-HD cruisers that is truly air-cooled. No radiator to screw up the looks - nice clean lines.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that you had to remove the entire exhaust to change the oil filter. I'm pretty sure they fixed that on later models though.

I would definitely look for a V-star 1100 if you want a non-HD cruiser.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 38,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
amk,way back in 97 honda decided to make a cruiser using their 1500 6 cylinder engine.it red-lined at 6.5 rpm and produced 106 rear wheel horsepower.it is not a V-twin.i bought mine at wisconsin cycle salvage in 03 for $4K.it had been dumped a couple times and was salvaged twice.since then ive put 57K miles on it.the salvage yard owner smiled when i asked him to put an extra coat of wax on before i picked it up and said,"most guys dont ride the bikes out of the yard."guess im not most guys them.weve been cruisin together alot...named it the JUNKYARD dog.its alot of bang for the buck.and took the MOTORCYCLE cruising market 10 years to get up to 106 horsepower with the KAW2000..and honda quit making the valkyrie in 03 in favor of the ill-fated 04RUNE.good luck.mines still with me after 5 years.its not real purdy but its very fast for a cruiser.
If I was in the market for a cruiser (I'm not), that would be it. Smooth, bullet proof, and somewhat comfortable. I only sat on one, mind you, but the flat 6 is the smoothest motor ever put in a bike. I do know that.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
There is a reason cruisers come with small gas tanks because you can't ride on one for more than 120 miles without needing a break. The cruiser bikes all share a common weakness in the area of suspension. With 700lbs of weight to deal with and a long wheelbase and low seat height to complicate the mix (weird rake and trail) you have some odd dynamics to deal with.

When you say "most comfortable cruiser" you're going to end up with a relative comfort compared with a standard or dual-sport designs that have two to three times the suspension travel, 300lbs less weight, and a MUCH better riding position to handle the wind and control the motorcycle. The standards do so much so well that they seem unchallenging compared with use-dedicated bikes of the sport, touring, cruiser, and off road class.

I like the feel of but haven't ridden the Vstar 1300. It has the best ergonomics I've felt on a cruiser. Be aware that cruisers put all your weight on your tailbone so an aftermarket seat is a HAVE TO DO as is a windsheild and highway pegs for most folks to ride on the interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Go in style with a Bmw R1200C

The are affordable also
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Mango Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,978
For comfort and reliability, I don't think anything comes close to a Wing.
You can say she don't have soul or looks or versatility, but she will be comfortable and get you from point a to b without problems.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,578
A GS is a pretty good cruiser, notwithstanding the expense of failing final drives. i say 'cruiser' cause its big enough for 2-up, its comfy, can carry a lot of stuff, and unlike most real cruisers it has a decent suspension.

but its tall, and that gives one an unwieldy feeling with 2-up and baggage

I had two Honda VT1100's... one so-called 'Sabre' and the other 'Spirit'.
both decent except, as other poster noted, they have lousy suspensions.
but of the two the sabre was the better - good aftermarket, can be made very comfortable.

but if it was me in this predicament, I think I'd go with the Spirit 750 unless ALLL the time you're doing 2-up.

I like the older Roadstars a lot, but they're difficult to get comfy for long rides unless you just really enjoy the noise & vibe.....
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,297
I think practical cruisers have belt drives, hydraulic valves, and they are air cooled... Simple, low maintenance, great reliability...

Comfort will depend on your shape...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,310
I'll post this for TommyV.
RocketIII
Attached Images

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk
What cruiser was built not to be similar or better stylish than harley, but built for practical/economical/comfortable long haul? No harley though…
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 978
Sounds like you might like the Victory Kingpin. Pretty affordable on the used bike market.

I just rode my Victory Vegas from Northern VA to Toronto and back. A little over 1000 miles in two days of riding twisty two lane roads and I didin't find the bike uncomfortable I also didn't have a problem going 170+ miles without stopping.

-Hugh

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote