Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Dr. Mordo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Any experience with Alamo BMW or Lone Star BMW (Central TX)?

Alamo is closest and they also work on Triumphs and I think they are gonna work on my Steamer carbs.

Lone Star BMW is slightly further away. Because of the distance and a significant waiting list they are my second choice to work on my bike (they also work on Triumphs).

There is no third choice.
Dr. Mordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 414
I test rode a Sprint ST at Alamo a few weeks ago. They treated me very nicely. I'm considering a GS in the not too distant future. It looks like they have a nice service area, but haven't had any service work done there. Let us know how it goes.
Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Mr. Disaster
Professional Gypsy

Oddometer: 3,686
Got my first bike at Lone Star. My Dad has been a customer since before I could count. Great place and always helpful just one heck of a long waiting list.

R1150GS

Shameless Smugmug plug: Coupon vSIRpdd4Dghll

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes.
Mr. Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
I'm looking at a GSA at Alamo myself. Haven't made any steps to purchase but there is one coming in without all the driver aids (which is what I want) that is not spoken for.

I will likely be going to see them again.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Dr. Mordo OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the posts. From a couple other forums I think Lone Star is the one, although Alamo doesn't have a bad rap as far as I can tell.

OT: When I was talking to the dude at Alamo, he said they are selling far more Triumphs than BMWs, which really surprised me. Last time I was in there a few months ago they had just started carrying Triumph and the sales-gal said they really weren't selling.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
Mordo: You'll have to let me check out your bike when you get it. :)
Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Dr. Mordo OP
Adventurer

I already have it, it just isn't running right. My bike is a 1996 Triumph Tiger. It has been dead for about three years and passed around as various owners tried to figure out what was wrong with it. I fixed the big problem (sprag clutch), but now am dealing with 3 years of carb buildup. I cleaned them and rebuilt them but can't quite get them tuned right.

Everytime I go in there the bike I drool over is the Triumph Scrambler. They had two last week and both were sold awaiting pickup. The next bike I own will be a Scrambler.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
TexasPrairieRider
Texan

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo
I already have it, it just isn't running right. My bike is a 1996 Triumph Tiger. It has been dead for about three years and passed around as various owners tried to figure out what was wrong with it. I fixed the big problem (sprag clutch), but now am dealing with 3 years of carb buildup. I cleaned them and rebuilt them but can't quite get them tuned right.

Everytime I go in there the bike I drool over is the Triumph Scrambler. They had two last week and both were sold awaiting pickup. The next bike I own will be a Scrambler.
Some times the needeles and seats well be differant between the carbs for emmissions purposes. I had an FJ Yamaha that had a differant needle in one of the carbs to get it by the emmisions when idling, when it was installed in another carb it ran like poop not the stink I was use to. Jets too!. The POs could have mixed and matched them into the wrong carb.

(I like pie.)
TexasPrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Dr. Mordo OP
Adventurer

That is interesting. I ordered new needle and seat assemblies for all the carbs, and they were the exact same part number and there was no description saying that one was specific to a certain carb.

I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for the help everybody!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
StormTrooper
Enough Already!!!!!!

Oddometer: 193
I Just had the 12k service done on my GSA at Alamo. the guys were very professional and did a solid job. Kermit (I believe that is his name) the owner has more engine experience in his right hand than I do in my entire body! Very Knowledgeable.

I have tried to deal with Lonestar several times since I live in Austin but when I get told there in a month long waiting list for a three hour job... sorry I am not waiting that long. They might be a bit better but not three weeks later. Rumor has it that they are going to be building a bigger location with more than three service bays. They need it to match their sales staff, which is a solid crew.

StormTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Dr. Mordo OP
Adventurer

A MONTH. I didn't realize it was so long. I haven't called them yet, because I'm gonna put a chain on it before I take it in so maybe they won't try to sell me one.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Radar Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Lonestar is pretty highly regarded around here. However since I ride a Duc I have zero interaction with their service dept. Everything else totally topnotch and great people.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
slowGEEZR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
My Alamo story… I had my bike (GS1200) serviced at Alamo BMW. Later, about a hundred miles into a ride, I noticed one of the valve cover bolts was about an eighth of an inch out. I stopped the bike and tightened it and checked the other bolts. Turns out, all of the bolts on that valve cover were very loose, like they had been only hand tightened! The other side was fine. Apparently, they neglected to tighten the bolts after checking the valves.
My Lone Star story…Since I didn’t want any more dealings with Alamo, I ordered new tires through Lone Star. At the time I still lived in San Antonio. They called me after the tires came in and said bring the bike in. I dropped it off and they said they would call me when done. I get a call three hours later that they had received the wrong size tire. So, reordered. I would have thought they would have verified the tires.
Probably both places are ok, neither were stellar for me on these occasions. Now that I live in Round Rock, I will work with Lone Star again for service.
slowGEEZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,081
Cool2

I bought my bike from Lone Star and have been very happy with th detail of their service...drawback they have a 2 to 3 week wait during summer...usually tapers off in the fall... I ran into 2 Tiger riders at Lone star in July and noticed they had bought their bikes in Waco. Being from near there I inquired why they did not like the dealer there. Both were angry with the servce after the sale and said they would drive 100+ for better service...I know several riders that get their srvice there and never heard a complaint other than the wait..........
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
I bought my bike from Lone Star and have been very happy with th detail of their service...drawback they have a 2 to 3 week wait during summer...usually tapers off in the fall... I ran into 2 Tiger riders at Lone star in July and noticed they had bought their bikes in Waco. Being from near there I inquired why they did not like the dealer there. Both were angry with the servce after the sale and said they would drive 100+ for better service...I know several riders that get their srvice there and never heard a complaint other than the wait..........
Lone Star is top notch. I have been dealing with them through 3 locations now. They have had the same head mechanic (Mike). The wait is a bitch but there that busy cause they're that good.

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure (Beasty)
'05 Honda XR650R (Mr. Bill)
'12 Sprinter Sportsmobile RB50 w/PH
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote