User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Shercoman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Dual Sport bike-XR650R or WR450?

Noob here so sorry if this has been asked before....
I'm trying to decide between a 650R or WR for a Dual Sport bike. The XR seems to be the obvious choice based on the amount of info available here.
I had a 2000 WR400 as a Dual sport and did very well with it.
My question:
Why is there so little interest or folowing for the WR450 as a dual sport? (sorry..maybe I'm looking in the wrong place)
The advantages for the XRR are listed pretty well.What are the disadvantages for the WR?
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,563
Well, I had both and got rid of the XRR. The WR is just a better bike off road. and pretty equal on road.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Shercoman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What about maintenance issues? Oil capacity/changes,ect?
I'm a "Yamaha guy" so I like the WR better but there do not seem to be as many people converting them.
I'm just trying to find out why.

Are you comfortable going long distances on the road?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Vertigo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I just finished doing a motard conversion on a 2007 WR450F. Gave to my son for his 16th birthday. I could have bought him 2 new KLR650's or a GSXR 600 for what I have in the bike.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman
What about maintenance issues? Oil capacity/changes,ect?
I'm a "Yamaha guy" so I like the WR better but there do not seem to be as many people converting them.
I'm just trying to find out why.

Are you comfortable going long distances on the road?
Maintenance wise, they both are similar with the XR winning for the ease of adjusting the valves. I change the oil every 1K miles on both bikes.

Got a Renazco seat on mine, and that makes a huge difference comfort wise. Gearing on either bikes is a compromise. Both have 5 speed trannys.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Shercoman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not very many replies to this thread.
Can I take that as a sign that there aren't many WR450 Dual sports out there?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Nick250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Not very many replies to this thread.
Can I take that as a sign that there aren't many WR450 Dual sports out there?
Some would suggest the WR450 is not true "Dual Sport" bike. It's a purpose built dirt bike that in some states you can get away with plating it by adding a blinkers, mirrors, a horn, DOT legal tires etc. There does not seem to be that much interest in the topic of converting dirt bikes to A/V bikes here on A/V Rider. That's just an observation, not a judgment.

Nick

Old Rides:'77 Kawa KZ650, '79 Yamaha IT175, '79 Suz GS1000, '80 Suz PE175, '82 Honda XR200, '83 Honda 750 Interceptor, '84 Husky WR250, '86 Husky WR250, '87 Husky WR400.
Nick250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250
... There does not seem to be that much interest in the topic of converting dirt bikes to A/V bikes here on A/V Rider. That's just an observation, not a judgment.
The interest varies by region. In the Colorado/Rockies area, there are a lot of converted dirt bikes. There are several reasons:
- The Rockies have a lot of fantastic dirt roads, and high mountain passes that are ridden easier on dirt bikes.
- Almost anything in Colorado can be plated here, including 2 stroke KTMs.

Many states on the coasts do not allow conversions. I feel sorry for them.

Look up the MOAR ride in the Rockies Region. Most of the riders were on converted dirt bikes, because this "Mother Of All Rides" was set up to be a tough, hard ride. Many ADVRiders in Colorado have both street and plated dirt bikes.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
I am actually going to see WR450F in few hours...not to buy yet (new) but to look once more and think.

Here in Europe Yamaha sells 2008 WR450F and WR250F which is fully street legal WR450 and WR250, made legal by adding all lights and what appear to be rebadged Trailtech Vapor dash, it has e-start and looks very good. Apart from e-start both are same as 2008 WR450 and WR250 dirtbikes (at least that's how they look like). May be in US they going to sell street-legal versions too?

I will also be interested in more information about XR vs. WR. For me e-start wins hands down....but what do I know being beginner in dual sport riding...
Here is link to photo of 2008 WR450F - only WR450 available for 2008 in Belgium.
http://www.yamaha-motor.be/dutch/Ima...m30-196679.jpg
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,047
I own an xr400 that has been (DS'd) in CT. I think that the growth in the DS market and the fact that you can't get the factory DS'd bikes in the US, we will see many more people trying to slide conversions through DMVs.

There are awesome examples of dirt only bikes that get DS'd by the big 3 (Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki) that are only available outside the US (we need an importer). If they won't bring them in, we will try to convert what we have....it's only natural. I think 250s and 450s being DS'd is an awesome idea, and I wish anyone who tries it the best of luck with the DMV. For me, any dirtbike I buy in the future will need to be able to be plated directly from the dealer. That leaves Husky and KTM. Both great companies, but we are a consumer market and need more choices.

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

just back from dealer.
Here is the deal:

WR450F, street legal, model 2008
WR450R, street legal, model 2008 listed together with Tenere 2008 category
WR250F, street legal, model 2008
WR250X, supermotard, street legal, model 2008

All bikes were there in abundance.

And bad part. I am to short. 1 meter 72 cm, normal lenght legs but it is not enough for apparently 99 cm high seat.
All of them are off limits for me. Can't even remotely touch ground :( gave dealer a scare starting with WR450 leaned over waaaaay low, been VERY careful. Could not stop properly, had to find a kerb. Engine is SO SWEET in 450, and all ergos and stuff just so perfect. And it feels really light (112 kg).
Sh...t. Asked dealer if it is possible to lower WR450 somehow answer was "too little adjustment to notice for you possible". Then he offered me street legal Scorpa 250. I liked it, but I want one of big four bike for sake of spares and ease to live with.
Will wait for Intermot and I swear to God I will do all to find bike that will fit me! I am tired of constantly modifying bikes for myself....
Sorry for a bit of offtopic.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,051
I'm getting ready to "dual sport" my 07 WR 450. I cant say how good it will be on the street yet. I can say the chain slap on that bike is horrendous! I think it will be an ok bike to do short pavement to dirt, and know it'll be fun on the dirt.

I just sold my Suzuki DRZ 400S which was an excellent dual sport and pretty comfortable, just a bit underpowered and front end heavy. The WR is going to be faster and lighter though, I bet it will be a hoot.

The oil capacity is a concern, I'm not sure how well a WR engine will last running pavement? I think the WR oil capacity is just at 1 quart, the DRZ was 2-3 quarts and had a reservoir in the frame.

tcourdin screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 01:54 PM
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
depjim
Sky Climber

Oddometer: 1
Which one does the......

Quote:
Noob here so sorry if this has been asked before....
I'm trying to decide between a 650R or WR for a Dual Sport bike. The XR seems to be the obvious choice based on the amount of info available here.
I had a 2000 WR400 as a Dual sport and did very well with it.
My question:
Why is there so little interest or folowing for the WR450 as a dual sport? (sorry..maybe I'm looking in the wrong place)
The advantages for the XRR are listed pretty well.What are the disadvantages for the WR?
WHICH ONE DOES The US Army and Marines use?????
depjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
Moto-ZTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
[quote=bluesman]just back from dealer.
Here is the deal:

WR450F, street legal, model 2008
WR450R, street legal, model 2008 listed together with Tenere 2008 category
WR250F, street legal, model 2008
WR250X, supermotard, street legal, model 2008

All bikes were there in abundance.

Yamaha does NOT make a street legal 450 DS bike:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr..._overview.aspx
Moto-ZTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Pay attention. I am in Belgium. Yamaha does make all those bikes as street legal here. Again - they ALL street legal here (ones I listed) and all can get numberplate and all can be ridden on any road. Legally.

Edited. Must correct myself. I do not know about Yamaha. I know what dealer told me - he was ready to sell and plate it for me for no additional costs. Probably not Yamaha makes them as street legal, dealers sell them as street legal. They all have full speedo kit, lights etc. etc.
Probably Yamaha not really involved.

bluesman screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 12:39 PM