ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #3166
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 546
pretty sure Josh meant next Thursday the 27th.

Josh?!?

While we're on the subject, I've known for quite a while that before I go on any sort of trip I would need a new seat. My stock seat on the XR just kills me if I'm going for more than 100 miles. It's so bad that my butt is still real sore for the next couple of days. So, how could I possibly go 1,500 miles on it?? No way...

So after lot's of research, I've been planning on biting the bullet and shelling out the dough for a Renazco Seat. Looking on their website a month ago I read that the have a 6-8 week wait time for the seats. I figured no problem, but just to be sure, I went ahead and contacted them through email yesterday about starting the ordering process.

Well, I got a quick but disappointing reply this morning, they are structuring their June calendar now. If I was to order it today, they wouldn't start building till June!! DANG IT!!!! I absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt cannot go on the trip with my stock seat, and I'm not going with a Corbin seat, I keep reading that while they are wider, they're hard as bricks.

But there may be a silver lining to this, I decided to call all the local bike shops and ask them who they use to do their seats-what upholstery shop they would suggest. Except for the HD dealership who suggested a corbin, they all said to call Randall at Redmond's Upholstery on Jones Street downtown. I called him and talked for a good while about my plight. He really said all the right things. He wants me to bring the seat to him while still on the bike the first time so he can see my riding position and such, then I bring it back to him later sans bike and we'll talk about it some more... He feels real confident that being in a one on one scenario with him will be much better for me than to order a seat online. He seems like a really nice guy and I'm optimistic about the process.

All this to say if you're in the same boat or know someone who is, it looks like I'll be able to tell you if it's worth doing. Not sure how long it takes for him to make one, he wants me to stop by one weekday morning to check it out, so I'll have to wait for next week for that...

As you were, -DT
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #3167
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,714
Yeah the 27th, at 6pm.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #3168
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
Wow, that's really cool Thorpe! I hope that works out for you. I'll be honest, my XR seat is a lazy-boy compared to the DRZ seat! I think it'll be fine.

I wonder if I need anymore fuel capacity though? Think there'd be anyone out there wanting to trade an Acerbis super tanker (5.8g?) for my Clarke tank? I'm gonna need a rack in the back too...

Where we eating?
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #3169
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
i've been waiting on the ims 4.5 gal for my wr250r since it is the biggest tank available but they haven't given a release date other than some time this spring. im hoping it gets released in time for the ride. but its good to know someone local is willing to make custom seats. a seat can sure ruin a good ride. my seat is tolerable if the paved road sections are short though i haven't ridden it for several days at a stretch.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #3170
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Here you go Cat.
I wouldn't mind that A Loop MX style tank and seat but only a 2 gallon capacity will not cut it.

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...&cPath=1_9_126
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #3171
wrangler747
KLR for life

Oddometer: 540
Riding a bike is just like a horse for me.. I was on horseback 2-3 times a week and 2-3 weeks straight in the fall..my but only hurt after being off a horse for more than 6 or so months ..same with riding bike...I ride everyday to work and my but is accustomed to it..or you can start pedal biking to work and then your butt will never hurt on your XR..haha

rg next thursday
wrangler747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #3172
sdthorpe

Holy Crap, '04 DR650 for sale in Gainesville for $875.00!!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2168948213.html
Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #3173
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Would yall be interested in eating @ Carolina Ale?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #3174
wrangler747
KLR for life

fine for me
Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #3175
sdthorpe

Tasty Burgers? Check.

I'm there.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #3176
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i View Post
Would yall be interested in eating @ Carolina Ale?
never been there but have been by it (near best buy, right). only concern is it a good place for us to hold a meeting ie, can we reserve (or claim) enough space to all sit together where its not too noisy. don't like to yell to have a conversation, otherwise, where ever we choose is ok by me...
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #3177
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
never been there but have been by it (near best buy, right). only concern is it a good place for us to hold a meeting ie, can we reserve (or claim) enough space to all sit together where its not too noisy. don't like to yell to have a conversation, otherwise, where ever we choose is ok by me...

Never been there either, maybe Thrope can answer.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3178
sdthorpe

Actually, Buelless makes a solid point. I've been there for lunch twice and it was even a little noisy then, night time might be worse. TV's everywhere and such. I would compare the decibel level to Rhineharts...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #3179
wrangler747
KLR for life

What about wild wings .......have not been maybe noisy as well or we could do some family place like zaxbys
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #3180
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 980
Looking back through the thread it seems the last time I rode the DR was Oct 2nd!!!
So, charged the battery overnight and went for a quick run today. Started up fine with throttle cracked, but would not idle. So, a quick run up to Pep Boys for some B-12 Chemtool, and a run up and down the canal had her running like a champ after 15 miles.
This damn bike WILL NOT DIE!!!
Me and my monkee is online now   Reply With Quote