ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #4561
Jeepthing47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Need some advice and help. I'm a newbie to working on bikes.

After my deep water excursion I've still not gotten the Honda XR650L running. I got it running temporally after I got out of the water but it kept flooding (gas in the air box).

I took the opportunity to change the oil, filter, and plug. No obvious signs of water in the oil. I pulled the carb and did Dave's carb mods since I had the bike apart. However after putting it back together it is still flooding.

Several posts suggest it may be crud in the float valve (which I probably should or could have cleaned better). I could use some help and advice.

Gibbs - North Augusta
803-474-1390
Jeepthing47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #4562
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepthing47 View Post
Need some advice and help. I'm a newbie to working on bikes.

After my deep water excursion I've still not gotten the Honda XR650L running. I got it running temporally after I got out of the water but it kept flooding (gas in the air box).

I took the opportunity to change the oil, filter, and plug. No obvious signs of water in the oil. I pulled the carb and did Dave's carb mods since I had the bike apart. However after putting it back together it is still flooding.

Several posts suggest it may be crud in the float valve (which I probably should or could have cleaned better). I could use some help and advice.

Gibbs - North Augusta
803-474-1390

Sounds like you have trash/debris/ or corrosion on the float. Or it could be an improperly adjust float. If you want you can bring it to me and we can take a look at it.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4563
Jeepthing47
Adventurer

Got it running but not so good. Probably still have some crud in the carb from the deep water event. The carb rebuild kit arrived and that is this weekend's project.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #4564
Jeepthing47
Adventurer

The Honda XR650L is back together and running. Rebuilding the carb and cleaning everything did the trick. Must have been dirt in there somewhere.

Left the new jets 55/158 installed and needle shimmed. Running stock exhaust, snorkel removed, and new air filter. The mixture was set at 2 1/4 turns.

Everyone was right. The carb mods make it run so much more smoothly.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #4565
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Quote:
The Honda XR650L is back together and running. Rebuilding the carb and cleaning everything did the trick. Must have been dirt in there somewhere.

Left the new jets 55/158 installed and needle shimmed. Running stock exhaust, snorkel removed, and new air filter. The mixture was set at 2 1/4 turns.

Everyone was right. The carb mods make it run so much more smoothly.

Yeah they are sent from the factory lean as hell due to the EPA. A pipe and carb or rejetting really brings them out. But the suspension to me is also just as important to spring it or change it.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #4566
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
I'm not officially an AARSE since I live over in Lexington. But i'd love to meet up and ride with you guys some. That is if you allow ferinurs

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #4567
Jeepthing47
Adventurer

Update on the 2008 Honda XR650L with the carb mods and question.

Anyone have to go to a 160 main jet after they did Dave's carb mods vs the 158? think I'm too lean.

I'm running 14/48 sprockets, desmogged, desnorkeled, stock exhaust and 55/158 jets (Dave's carb mods). I took it out for a 60 mile loop at mostly 45-60 mph. Ran good with smooth throttle response but operating temp showed 275 and gas mileage worked out to just over 50 mpg.

If the mixture was appropriately rich enough from what i have read i would have expected gas mileage low 40s and operating temps <250.

Pilot jet, idle, and starting are perfect with the 55.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #4568
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I'm not officially an AARSE since I live over in Lexington. But i'd love to meet up and ride with you guys some. That is if you allow ferinurs
I'm sure that there are some people here that can ride. I can't ride. The bike is in a few pieces and in a couple of states at the moment.. When all the parts come back to me you better believe that I will be riding to the roughest road I can find and seeing what it will do.

Quote:
Update on the 2008 Honda XR650L with the carb mods and question.

Anyone have to go to a 160 main jet after they did Dave's carb mods vs the 158? think I'm too lean.

I'm running 14/48 sprockets, desmogged, desnorkeled, stock exhaust and 55/158 jets (Dave's carb mods). I took it out for a 60 mile loop at mostly 45-60 mph. Ran good with smooth throttle response but operating temp showed 275 and gas mileage worked out to just over 50 mpg.

If the mixture was appropriately rich enough from what i have read i would have expected gas mileage low 40s and operating temps <250.

Pilot jet, idle, and starting are perfect with the 55.

Throw a 160 in it and see what it will do. I got tired of that a long time ago and threw a flatslide on it, then it didn't last long ( a ride maybe) then I went for a pumper and have enjoyed it fairly well. Probably been swapping it out here after a while.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #4569
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,090
Ride Report

I went for a ride in the Smokeys last week. Ride report is started here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919538

This isn't me. At least I got to take the picture.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #4570
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 576
Nice new rig and a new bike. Way to go Andy!

Looks like it was a fun ride!
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #4571
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I went for a ride in the Smokeys last week. Ride report is started here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919538

This isn't me. At least I got to take the picture.

http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/s...fletcher-L.jpg
Huge tracts of land!

Nice report. I did most of the same route over Independence Day weekend, though your Tallulah River crossing looked like a puddle compared to what I dealt with.

Still debating whether I want to go back up over the 4-day Columbus Day weekend or do something else.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #4572
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
your Tallulah River crossing looked like a puddle compared to what I dealt with.
I agree. The water looks to be 1' to 1 1/2' higher on your crossing. I have tons of dirt roads marks in GA, NC, TN, SC. Tell me where you have been and I can send you some suggestions. What kind of GPS are you using? Do you prefer routes or tracks?

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #4573
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I agree. The water looks to be 1' to 1 1/2' higher on your crossing. I have tons of dirt roads marks in GA, NC, TN, SC. Tell me where you have been and I can send you some suggestions. What kind of GPS are you using? Do you prefer routes or tracks?

http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/D...20route-X2.jpg

http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/s...r%20map-X2.jpg
I didn't stop to measure, but it was high enough to go over the tops of my boots. Huge pucker factor for a noob on his first solo adventure ride.

I was following the tracks for the Southern DS Loop, TET, and Tellico Plains alternate route:

I have a Garmin Zumo 660. I can take either, but I prefer tracks. I've had issues with the GPS wigging out trying to process routes off-road.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 09:13 PM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #4574
Catalyst
Explorer

The Augusta Sports Council, responsible for organizing the over 1,300 volunteers necessary for the Ironman event Sunday, just found out this afternoon that Ironman would like four additional motorcycle draft marshals on the bicycle course.

I did this two years ago. It was pretty fun. You don't need to carry anyone. You just need to keep and eye on racers and make sure they're not drafting the riders in front of them. It's a 56 mile course and I probably made about 3-4 loops last time.

If you're interested, there's a meeting for the motorcycle group Saturday at 12:30 at the Convention Center Exhibit Hall on Reynolds Street by the Marriott. Look for Michelle Naval in the Volunteer Registration Area.

You can talk to Michelle to get more details and let her know you're interested in helping by calling or texting her cell phone @ 706-399-7122.

The event is Sunday and I think they need riders from about 6am to 1:30pm, but don't quote me on that.

I'll be driving a SAG van on the course, so I'll probably see you out there if you come.

More details on the event:
It's the largest Ironman 70.3 in the world with over 3,500 registered this year.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/eve...#axzz2g86ABKHJ
Old 09-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #4575
Catalyst
Explorer

Looks like I've been reassigned from a van driver to a moto rider.