Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Shmerel OP
™

Oddometer: 11,152
Question i need some suggestions regarding a restoration i'm about to start ...

so i got myself a bmw r 65, '82 model.

mechanically it's in pretty good dshape, but cosmetically it has surface rust abd looks tired.

this will be my first restoration and i'm determined to trade in my 10 unnecessary thunbs for 10 usable digits. i'm a novice (mechanic/restorer) is every sense.

i intend to bring the bike back to newish conditon. it's blue and i prefer it black with white pin stripes. i wantr to retain the bmw style of this bike, BUT, i also want to adorn it with functional modern bits (braded brake lines, handlebar mirrors etc) to make it a café racer-ish.

i don't want to end up with a mishmash and want it looking sexy and streamlined. my mind is open (more than my wallet).

anyone got some useful pics for me to look at as suggestions for this resto/café racer? also tips of parts and where to get them?

please, boys and gals, no silly pics or bullshit. i'm already sufficiently anxious here.

thanks in advance

Gad
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,550
please, boys and gals, no silly pics or bullshit.

Who, us????

A couple of my favorite sites for tons and tons of cafe-style stuff:

Excellent for R65 in particular:
http://www.cafeboxer.com/
http://www.cafeboxer.com/WebScrapings/r65st.htm

Excellent for lots of bikes, stock to radical:
http://www.rockerboxer.com/page/page/1414315.htm

One particular R65 in GB:
http://www.randybozarth.com/gallery/stevehawkins/

There is lotsa stuff out there... fun fun fun

And a picture to dream about

Attached Images

Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,902
if you are looking to do this for less than it would cost to buy a similar bike in nice condition you are gonna be very unhappy with the numbers when you add them up

you did not mention how well stocked your tool box is, but you can pretty much take apart 90% of a BMW with a decent set of hand tools

if this is a labor of love you will never add the numbers up and you will be very happy with the final result

if you are tearing it down to the frame level be prepared to repalce all the seals

if you are only pulling bodywork and replacing the items you described you should have a nice runner for not a lot of coin

if the paint is in good shape I would do the paint dead last as that is a real budget buster

BMW paint tends to hold up really well and a good color sanding can spruce up a paint job for a few bucks in material and plenty of elbos grease

either way you are headed for a good time

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Shmerel OP
™

great stuff fellas, thanks.

labour of love it is, then.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Shmerel OP
™

how do i track down this steve hawkins?

i like his red r65 and would want from him more details.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
jedcaum
Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer: 377
Dive in man. I don't know much about anything, but a little about a lot, and not enough to stay away. The folks here have been unswervingly kind with their encouragement, and crazy helpful with their knowledge and wisdom.

Here's mine, definitely not keeping track of the receipts here. Will be a mildly cafe'd 1976 90/6 when I'm done. Isn't now.

Name:  Miscellaneous 010.JPG
Views: 7444
Size:  111.9 KB

You'll have to wait for an after picture - to busy running cables and breaking bolts, digging into forks, synching carbs (never did that before!) to take any pics today.

And of course, once I started digging in, my estimate of the amount of work and $ was off by a factor of ten.

But I got a mean little rider in the meantime, solo seat and low bars already applied - and people love the tails ! I know what I'm doing this winter - all winter . Love her. There's no other riding quite like it.

Welcome to the obsession.
jedcaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Shmerel OP
™

Cool2

what's with the fishtails, easy rider?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
please, boys and gals, no silly pics or bullshit.

Then this will end up being a terribly short thread

I would fix everything that's needed to make it into a reliable, daily runner. A few hundred miles later, the old, brittle oil seals and gaskets will begin leaking. Replace them all, after which repainting of the bike can commence. That's how I always do my bikes.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Shmerel OP
™

i followed the leads above and am tending towards the steve hawkins red bike, excep that i want proper speedo/tacho idiot gear (maybe something british/italian?).

it means a complete striop down, powedercoating, removing bits/pieces, (i'll have to get a mechanoc to help me with the motor), changind saddle. the last step would be painting, obviously.

i'm shitting m'self here.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
i'm shitting m'self here.
Well, wipe off and shoot some pix mate. Let's see what you've got to start with, and looking forward to following along.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
If all goes as planned, it's looking like my R65 gets picked up tomorrow.

Lovely bikes. Looking forward to following your thread.

One thing I can contribute: mine had an oversized rear when I bought it. Stock sizes look more like bicycle tires (compared with modern sport bikes), but stock rubber front and back improved handling 100%. Light and lively, a joy to carve with...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
r.curt.m
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm in the same boat... I just picked up a 1 owner 1982 R100rs from a great uncle. I can't wait to remove the fairing and dig in... just hope the family doesn't kill me for it!! BTW thanks a lot for the great links!
r.curt.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Shmerel OP
™

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.curt.m
I'm in the same boat... I just picked up a 1 owner 1982 R100rs from a great uncle. I can't wait to remove the fairing and dig in... just hope the family doesn't kill me for it!! BTW thanks a lot for the great links!
don't know how to use this smug mug crap. maybe i'l get to it on the weekend.

i've been in touch with steve hawkins regarding his project. i might emulate a bit of it.

http://www.randybozarth.com/gallery/stevehawkins/

you'l be hearing from me!

Shmerel screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 05:03 PM
Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Shmerel OP
™

got my certificate of roadworhtiness today and had my first ride on this beast.

motor purrs nicely, and has a gentle throb. very nice.

back brakes are uselss (needs going over) and front disk bites but squeeks (more cleaning).

the turning is heavy and i suspect we need to have a close look there too.

next week i start putting pen to paper to wprk out the master plan and time line before anything else.

i would like to dismantle the bike completely and clean the engine to make it as new.

i have a manufacturer client with a (VERY expensive) walk-in type washer that can clean motors like new. being FOC, i can't resist the offer.

then i will take to the scalpel, and order bits and pieces. TBC ...

i've decided the frame and tank will be red. prolly fairing too (but cut down).

any suggestions for color on wheels? a swanky contrast would be the go ...

still working on smugmug
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #15
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
i would like to dismantle the bike completely and clean the engine to make it as new.
I would seriously reconsider that approach. Especially if this is your only running bike, and first restoration.
As someone who has done dozens of restorations of varying levels, I can assure you that it will cost more, and take longer than you are anticipating.
So long as it is mechanically fit, it is better to rehab the machine one assembly at a time while enjoying the results of each improvement from the saddle.

If you absolutely must do a frame up rehab on the thing, then find a local enthusiast who can help with the various specialty tools you'll need, and who has done frame-up BMW restorations already.
If you do your research; You may find that a restored R65 brings only slightly more than a well worn one, so there is no financial return on the enterprise.

That said;
I enjoy fiddling with these two wheeled things as well, and how I've managed to go through four dozen in two decades, but sometimes a resto that should have taken three months or less takes three years or more.
Life happens, and in the meantime you could have been riding.

zenben screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 02:31 AM
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote