Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #31
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Things got heated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk
"I will say something at this time that I might saw later on as well. I really have no room to talk, but I will say it anyway! Cory was the ONLY one who did research for this trip. He looked at maps, read articles in magazines, articles online, and even read travel magazines. Dad did not do anything of this sort. I think I have an excuse, I was a passenger not a driver!"

Good job Corey!

I now understand the 2 year lapse in this ride report as you 3 have just now regained speaking terms......LMAO

Muk
My Dad and Wife did have a melt down with each other in the middle of the desert on the main land! This caused a stressful situation to get even worse. I will tell that story when we get there.

We are all speaking now.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #32
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN
Good stuff

Thanks for all the kind words guys and girls.

I am working over the weekend so the updates might be a little slower but we will try and get this done one day at a time.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #33
Hi Ho Silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Pissed Day 5

The sun was out and it was a beautiful day for travel. I was behind Cory when we headed south out of Guerrero Negro on two lanes. Cruising at hi-way speeds I knew we would roll into La Paz with plenty of sun light left on the horizon. Just down the road I noticed Cory fishtailing and it looked like he was going down. His rear tire was quickly going flat. I was amazed when he was able to get his bike to a safe stop. Once again off the side of the road and unpack to make repairs. After a brief struggle I remembered the adventure video indicating that the use of the side stand was a good way to break the bead on the rim. Worked like a charm and Cory put in a tube. The air pump was a godsend and soon we were back in business. Lunch in Mulege was good and the people were friendly. The town was interesting and I could have spent a couple of days here checking it all out, but we were on a mission. 360 miles out of Guerrero Negro we rolled into Ciudad Constitucion, a small city. This is where we stopped to ask about a hotel. After a recommendation from a local, a guy pulled a large rattle snake out of the back of his truck he had just killed. It was still moving.
The ride up the stairs into the lobby of the hotel was spooky. But it helped to know the bikes were safe for the night. The room was very basic and clean. A good nights sleep was in order.
Yes my lost flip flop cost me a blister on my big toe and $4. I could have had more tacos. I also was using the flip flops to prevent my gear from rubbing on my Jesse top box. Oh well the worn spot reminds me of the trip.

Hi Ho Silver screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 06:37 AM
Hi Ho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
Runamuk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076

Already 100 degrees here.

You're probably riding today.

Muk
Runamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 6 Thursday, May 18, 2006

Day 6 – Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ciudad Constitucion to La Paz (The Capital City of Baja California)

Our plan for the day was to make it down to Cabo San Lucas. We thought we would spend a day or two down in Cabo area then come up to La Paz and catch the ferry over to Topolobampo on the main land. Well things didn’t go like I had planned. We rolled out of Ciudad Constitucion early and made it to La Paz before 11AM.

I had started feeling and hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear of my bike. I really noticed it at lower speeds. We came into La Paz and it was still early in the day so we started heading right on through to Cabo. I stopped right before we left civilization in La Paz and had a look at the bike. I couldn’t see any thing out of place but knew something was going bad. I figured it was the final drive. I knew there was a BMW dealer in Cabo San Lucas so I told the crew what was going on.

Umm some thing is wrong back here! I think its the final drive!

We all decided to head for Cabo and try and get the bike repaired there and maybe the shock too. We got just out side of the city and the rear end really started to grind and sound terrible. Its about a 100 miles to Cabo from La Paz and there is nothing really between them but ocean and desert. I stopped again and told the crew I wasn’t comfortable with leaving La Paz where I know I can get a hotel and possible help in getting the bike fixed, if not a truck or trailer down to Cabo to get the bike fixed. I didn’t want to wind up broke down on the side of the road with my wife and my Dad stuck. We decided that it was the smart thing to do and so we headed back into La Paz to find some kind of motorcycle repair shop. As it happened we came across a Honda shop right away.

Inside I explained what was going on with the bike to the owner Luis. What a guy that Luis. He spoke great English better than my Spanish. He told me he works on BMW’s and he could more than likely fix it and the shock. He took the bike out for a “Spin” and proceeded to wheelie that BMW fully loaded right down the middle of the main street with traffic every where. He came back and told us it’s the final drive and he could do the job. He did have two BMW’s in his shop for work, one a newer Oil Head GS and one Air Head GS so I felt better about letting him work on the bike. We had to find a hotel for the night so we left the Honda shop and found a hotel for the night. We unloaded the bikes and Dad and I rode back to the Honda shop. Luis took the bike in the shop and cracked open the final drive. He called around for the parts and it was too late in the day. We left the bike there and would follow up the next day. Little did we know we were about to get a real taste of "Mexican Time" and "Red Tape" Notice the date stamp on the above Honda shop picture.

Wife’s Log:
We left Constitucions with our next stop to be Cabo San Lucas. We had an uneventful morning and was pulling into a town called La Paz when Cory noticed that our bike was making a grinding noise. We pulled over for Cory to investigate. It is no big deal, he could not see anything wrong so we were going to continue with plans. Cory told Dad that his bike is sounding funny, and to stay close by just in case we have any trouble. We were just pulling on the Hwy to head to Cabo San Lucas when Cory pulled off the road and the bike not sounding any better. Cory decided rather than getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere, we would look for help in La Paz. La Paz looked like a big city. We were driving through the streets when we happen to roll up on a Honda shop. A God send. We went inside and they spoke pretty good English, which was great since we understood more Spanish then we spoke. The shop owner took the bike for a ride, with it all loaded up and all to see if he can recreate the same problem. The shop owner’s name was Luis. He said it sounded like the problem was coming from the Final Drive. He said he could fix it. Luis was going to try and repair the Final Drive. We decided to shack up in a Hotel. We found nice hotel and they did not have multiple beds in the same room, which was fine with me. I needed some alone time with my husband. We settled in and Cory and Dad went to the Honda shop to see what the deal was with the Motorcycle. Luis was unable to get the bearing to repair the Final Drive. It was too late that day to call and order parts. So we set in our hearts to stay the night and go with the flow.

Each room was like a apartment with its own car port.

Wife’s Log:
We walked down towards the town in search of food. We came upon a chicken stand. I wanted pork or shrimp. Dad was content with chicken so we kept walking on. We came upon a shrimp taco stand. They were good. The batter was like a beer batter. They would have tasted better if they were fresh, but you have to do with what you have. After we ate we headed back to pick up Dad and head back to the hotel. That night in a room of our own, oh boy it was beautiful. What was nice with the Hotel is they have a garage that you park your car in at the entrance of your. You were able to close the garage door and have privacy. The room was nice, it had a nice Air Conditioner, Cable TV, and a small refrigerator. We were able to walk to a market at night and stock our refrigerator with Coca Cola, water, and snacks.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 08-03-2008 at 03:53 PM
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,437

Looking forward to more...

Mmmmm Copper Canyon...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
Michael Schumacher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
The Drama

Oh my god the suspense is killing me!
Michael Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #38
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
Hey, great pics and report so far... what are those beige dealies you and your wife are wearing over you shoulders? I assume its some sort of cooling device???
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #39
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Cool Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeyhands
Hey, great pics and report so far... what are those beige dealies you and your wife are wearing over you shoulders? I assume its some sort of cooling device???

Im pretty sure they are called Cool Rider or something like that. We got them at the 49er rally in Nor CAL They work great. We tried the neck ties that have the same beads in them that absorb water but these work much better and stay wet longer due to being partially covered by your jacket.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #40
hp2rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
great report

hp2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #41
Hi Ho Silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
La Paz

The trip from Constitucion to La Paz was only 150 miles leaving us with plenty of daylight to get to Cabo. Laz Paz is a large City with industry and all the comforts of state side. There were a lot of messenger/delivery types running around most of which were small CC Hondas. The city Police were riding V-Stars. On this day it was very hot. At one point I took off my helmet as we shuttled Cory's gear and and all to a Hotel. A female police officer pulled up next to me on her Yamaha at a light and told me to get my helmet on. I was very suprised.

The Hotel was very nice and secure. (Garage door on each unit also secured the front door). Cable TV and nice facilities. A little too expensive to stay very long and little did we know we were there to stay for a while.

The Honda shop was fun to hang out and watch the activity. All the bikes in stock (5 or 6 as I recall) were small CC street bikes. There was one used Vulcan on the floor as well. In the repair shop there was a variety and one of he locals who showed up most days was riding a Gold Wing. The technicians worked late hours and seemed to get dirty enough to give you the impression they really get into their work. The good news was the two BMW GS bikes sitting there giving us some comfort of familiarity. Luis the owner was very personable and seemed to enjoy the interaction with us. However he gave us the impression that he could have us back on the road in short order. (I won't steal Cory's thunder here and let him tell you the story).

The food on the street was good and we had the opportunity to try a lot of places. I could survive here if I had to. However I had a little missus at home who I was starting to really miss and now I was now a couple of thousand miles from her. I tried to contact her by phone when ever I had the opportunity to let her know where we were and some of the details of the day. These collect calls would end up being very expensive. At one point in La Paz we found internet access and was able to minimize the phone time.

With Cory's wheels now in the shop and tore down revealing a rear wheel bearing in pieces, we knew we were not going anywhere until it was fixed. We found out later that these bearing should be replaced 40 to 50K and Cory was already at that point and I am sure his load contributed to the failure. Apparently the replacement bearing is better.

Ok Cory give them the gory details.

Hi Ho Silver screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 10:17 PM
Hi Ho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #42
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Good Report ..... Street food usually is tasty.

Keep the pics coming.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #43
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #44
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,240
Great report, I am enjoying it. I am laughing at the difference between your posts and your wife's. Yours always seem so chill and laid back (whatever happens, happens kind of thing) and then your wife has a slightly different take on the situation. Too funny!
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #45
VooDooPope
Looking for 2 good wheels

Oddometer: 22
great report from 3 differnt points of view. keep it coming.
VooDooPope is offline   Reply With Quote