Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #46
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,697
Cool hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad
Great report, I am enjoying it. I am laughing at the difference between your posts and your wife's. Yours always seem so chill and laid back (whatever happens, happens kind of thing) and then your wife has a slightly different take on the situation. Too funny!
I am pretty cool under stress. I have to be with my wife taking things to the next level most of the time. I think thats what makes us a good match.

I usually look at life and what comes at me with the approach of "Ok this is what I was dealt so what is the best hand I can make of it"

Stay tuned updates forth coming.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 02:09 PM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #47
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Sorry for the delay!

I had to work and stuff.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #48
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 7 Friday, May 19, 2006

Day 7 – Friday, May 19, 2006

Operation get my bike fixed Day 1

Dad and I rode down to the bike shop to check with Luis on parts availability and get a time estimate on the repair. Luis had the part numbers that were needed to replace the worn out bearing. He had all the equipment to do the job it was just a parts issue. He had called down to the BMW dealer in Cabo and they didn’t have the bearing but all the seals they did have. He told us to come back later that after noon and he would have checked around some other shops for a possible bearing replacement. So Dad and I decided to scout out the town a bit but mainly find the ferry building where we would catching the boat over to the main land. We found a hotel, the Los Arcos, right on the water front and more central to shops and food. We went in and looked around and both said “Lets move!” The Los Arcos was a very nice hotel with a pool and restaurant and game rooms really more geared for longer stays with families and tourist.

We rode back to the hotel where Marcia was and told her the plan and with some “Discussion” convinced her to move. So we had Dad pack all his stuff and I rode down with him and helped him move into our new room at the Los Arcos. With Dad in the room I took the bike back to Marcia and packed what we could with room for her then took her down to the Los Arcos. I rode back and packed the rest of the “Stuff” and checked out and rode back to our new digs. I had noticed that none of the local who were riding small Honda Cub scooters or small CC bikes wore helmets. I rode back to the Honda shop to follow up with Luis on the parts progress. On the way there I was stopped by a Cop on a quad who asked me something in Spanish about “Cabeza” and pointed to her head which had a helmet on it. I had decided “When in Rome do as the Roman's do” so I had left my helmet in the hotel. She, the Cop, was not very happy and was pretty upset. I told her I have a helmet but I was going back to the hotel to get it. She just rode off with that “Stupid American” look of disdain on her face which I know all to well as I have done the same. A wave of relief came over me because I had pictured my Dads bike being towed and all the red tape fines and stuff that came along with it. At Luis’s shop he told me that he could not find a replacement bearing at any local shops. So he could have the Cabo BMW shop order the part but it would be a 7-10 day wait! I asked to use his phone to call my local BMW shop in CA, Marin BMW. Luis with some hesitation let me use the phone but he timed the call! As soon as I was done with the call he called the phone company and got the total charge for the call and asked me to pay which I had no issues with it was like $20. Marin BMW had all the parts and shipped them out next day DHL. (Big thanks to Marin BMW) I thought well that was easy! (Again as I mentioned this whole repair would cost us some precious time and wear on some nerves before it was all done.) With the parts on the way I rode back and updated the crew. We were all relived and in good spirits so we headed out for a walk around town and some food.

Wife's Log:
Dad woke up early in search for food. He could not get a hold of us because we had our garage door down and the walls were thick. So he had to climb in the bushes to get to our window and get our attention. We let him go in search for food. I guess Dad was lonely and he went out in search of the town to see what it had to offer. Dad and Cory found a hotel/resort Los Arcos. We decided to transfer over to Los Arcos and get one room with 2 Queen beds. This hotel had a pool and restaurant and was closer to markets and town. So we switched, with hesitation on my part.
Cory ordered the part that we needed from Marin BMW via Next Day air – the soonest possible. The whole Hotel switch thing took more effort on everyone than I had anticipated. First Dad and Cory went to the Hotel to book the room and unload what gear Dad had on his bike only. Our bike is at the Honda dealership – out of order. Then they came back to our first Hotel to gather more gear. As you see in the pictures we totally over packed. Once most of the gear had been moved it was my turn to be transferred. In the rush of things Cory forgot his helmet at the new hotel (Los Arcos) and drove over to get me at the original hotel. On our way to the Los Arcos hotel a policewoman pulled up next to us on a Quad – she said something in Spanish and pointed to her helmet. We smiled and waved. I think she was giving us a warning about not wearing a helmet; however none of the locals wear helmets. Once we were finally settled I then realized it was a nice switch. There was a cafeteria down stairs of the hotel, a beautiful swimming pool, and we felt more like we were in a town and not on the outskirts. Oh, I can’t forget, this hotel had a small refrigerator stocked with water and American candy (snickers & milky way). I guess Dad didn’t read the label that was on the water bottle, but they were charging a very high sur-charge to drink the water the hotel provided and the candy. Well when temptation gives way, you give in. I gave in to some of the candy- which by the way is extremely hard to find in La Paz.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 01:44 PM
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #49
Hi Ho Silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Settling in at La Paz

As I previously indicated, La Paz is a large city with all the comforts and resources one would need. Unless you're looking for a rear wheel bearing for your final drive. Luis had given us the impression that Cory would be back on the road in a day or two. It would have been nice. Thanx to the Marin BMW crew for getting us the parts we needed to Mexcio over night. However finding a donkey to get it to La Paz turned out to be a bigger problem. Did I mention that the fees attached to importing parts into Mexico will give you chest pains? I think I ended up paying 4 times the value of an innertube I had them throw in the box as I did not pack one. I had now realized that I should have one with me. The most difficult part of the trip still layed ahead of us.

The place we were staying was nice, but on the edge of town. With three of us and one bike, getting anywhere was a chore. Walking was too far for most things and so centralizing our location became necessary. Los Arcos was perfect. The room was adequate and they had web access and friendly staff. We could walk to the downtown district and in the evenings and it was a hub of activity. Not much happening during the hot days. Several good food stands were located and we tried a variety of them.

When it became obvious that Luis was not going to have us rolling soon, Cory and Marcia decided that they needed more privacy and also wanted to see Cabo. I'll let them tell you about that piece. They left me alone for a couple of days. I drove around the city looking at the ancient churches and different districts and living areas. I should have taken the opportunity to clear up my tourista issue, but I did not know I had a problem until days later when we tried to buy a ferry ticket.Then it became a scramble at the last minute. We'll talk more about that later.

In general La Paz was nice and the people were friendly. If we were going to have a breakdown, this was the best place for that to occur.
Hi Ho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #50
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Don't forget to register your FD failure:
http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/

We're trying to help BMW get on top of those pesky FD issues they seem to indicate don't exist.

ADVRider has several threads on the topic too...

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 08-21-2008 at 07:18 AM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #51
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Pretty cool so far! And it just goes to show that no two trips to Baja are alike.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #52
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 8 Saturday, May 20, 2006

Day 8 – Saturday, May 20, 2006

Operation get my bike fixed A.K.A Hurry up and wait

We walked around town and did some shopping. I checked in with Luis at the Honda shop 3 or 4 times. He told me that the parts had not arrived and now I started to worry. I passed it off as ok next day air could take a couple of days. I told Luis I would check in with him the next day. He told me that if the parts arrived he would call the hotel room and start the work right away. I think I started to get on his nerves. With not much else that could be done about it we made the best of it. Swim in pool, walk the town, eat great Mexican food.

Pics of the day

Wife's LogDay 8 – Saturday, May 20, 2006
I began to really enjoy our time at the Los Arcos hotel. It was very comfortable hotel, nice amenities, and very nice swimming pool. I have to say our time in La Paz kind of bunches together. I can’t remember which day we did what, but I do remember this was my favorite time. I was able to sleep in, eat real food (not those Cliff bars, corn nuts, and trail mix). I was kind of hoping out trip would stay this way, but then I had my antsy husband who was really every day checking on the status of our Final Drive.
I don’t know if I can stress how I enjoyed our time in La Paz. We walked around town (or what we thought was town) – the main strip.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 08-20-2008 at 10:09 PM
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #53
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 9

Day 9 – Sunday, May 21, 2006

Operation get my bike fixed day 3 and Im loosing my mind!
Lets salvage some thing from this down time.

Once again up early and over to the Honda shop to check in with Luis. Luis had told us to use DHL for the shipping company. He knew some people who worked at the DHL shop just down the street from his bike shop. The parts had not come in while we slept and so he said he would check in with DHL on the status. I gave him the tracking number and left him to look into it.

I was starting to get worried and could see my vision of this great adventure crumbling right here in La Paz after I had spent so much time in researching this trip. I was actually feeling like I was about to be cheated out of this whole trip. I was thinking we need to salvage something from this trip. If we don’t make it to the main land and Copper Canyon at least lets use our time to its fullest. If we don’t make it to Copper Canyon it’s a good reason to come back. Marcia and I were on foot or using Dad’s bike. So we decided to rent a car. We rented a “El Cheap O” stripped down Nissan Sentra with AC. We picked up Dad and we all took a tour of the city. We had only seen a very small part of La Paz, where most of the tourist can walk to. In the new wheels we found the shopping centers and Mc Donald’s.

We all had this misconception of Mexican food and Mexican restaurants. We all thought like back home you sit down at Mexican restaurant and you eat chips and salsa while you wait for your food. WRONG! Apparently that custom is an American Mexican thing in the States. We had asked just about every place we ate Mexican food for chips and salsa and they all looked at us like we were crazy. I think in the entire trip we only found one maybe two places that brought us chips and salsa and one of those was a avocado dip not salsa.

The other misconception was Churros. Marcia loves Churros and I like them too. We thought they would be sold on every corner but wrong again. We finally asked the guy at the front desk of the Los Arcos where we could find Churros in La Paz. He told us that Churros are a seasonal item in Mexico around Christmas time. He did tell us that he knew of one guy who sold them year around in town. He got out the map and showed us. That young man got him self a tip! We found the guy and his Churro stand. You couldn’t miss it. Find the line of people let leading right to the Churro stand. This guy was making them right there on the spot. The batter being made and the machine that pressed them into shape and then fried them and sugar & cinnamon them. You got 6 for a $1.50 I think and man oh man! They were hot fresh and out of this world. I think after we found that guy we went back every day we were in La Paz.

We checked back in with Luis at the end of the day. He told us some good and bad news. DHL had picked up the parts from Marin BMW in CA and shipped them to Mexico. The problem was that the parts had to go through Customs in Guadalajara! The parts were now sitting in customs on the main land. Luis’s contact had told them that it would 2-3 days before they got shipped to the Baja La Paz office! Luis had to calm me down a bit and he could tell I was frustrated and he knew that our vacation was now in trouble of ending right here. If we didn’t get the bike fixed in time we would have enough time to catch the ferry and finish the ride through Copper Canyon. Luis told me that he could have the parts in one maybe two days. He told us we just had to wait. We had no choice but to wait or rent a truck drive to the border and push my bike across the border.

So we had a rental car and nothing to do but wait so we did. Marcia and I decided to drive down to Cabo San Lucas. Dad decided to stay in La Paz and just relax and be available for Luis if the parts came in early. Tomorrow Marcia and I would finish our Baja leg and drive down to the tip of Baja and stay a day or two in Cabo. Stay tuned.

I think this picture sums up the next couple of days

Wife's Log:
Day 9 – Sunday, May 21, 2006
As most of our days have started out, we headed down to see Luis at the Honda shop. As our luck had been going, the part had not arrived and it looked like it was headed to Guadalajara. I was not too bummed because I was having a good time, this vacation had turned out to be a vacation – relaxation. I was rapidly getting use to it. After little discussion we had decided to head down to Cabo San Lucas – as originally planned –
except this time we were going to make it in a rental car. He headed to Hertz to rent us a car and started to get things ready for our trip. Dad had decided to stay behind and keep an eye and ear out for our part.

I have to say, I love chips and salsa, but it is hard to find in Mexico and I was thinking they don’t eat chips and salsa at all. We had asked around about chips and salsa and churros (my favorite). I also thought churros could be found on every street corner readily available – I say nay nay. We were directed up a few streets and over a few more streets to the churro stand. We located the stand and had to purchase some churros and test them on site. Oh were they good.

They were cheep and now that we know where they are located they are easily accessible. I am not sure how many bags we purchased, but they were sure busy. One lady in front of us had purchased quite a few bags – which was a good sign. Come to find out there is another churro stand; however this stand was the only stand open during this time of year. Good find. We headed back to our hotel to finish getting ready for our journey down to Cabo San Lucas. Today, no different than any other day, I spent my daily visit in the pool. I tell you, this is what vacation is all about, good eats, good surroundings, good family, and good weather. I could get use to this.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 01:57 PM
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #54
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 10 Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 10 – Monday, May 22, 2006

Operation hope my parts get here soon and we are going to Cabo

Marcia and I drove down to Cabo and were not impressed. Tourist trap sums it up. We found a hotel after some searching and walked around a bit. She bought an over priced swim suit. Pretty much bummed out by the atmosphere we stayed at the hotel and left the next day. She wrote a detailed account. We took no pictures. Edit I found some!

On the road to Cabo this sign is pretty common. Dangerous Curves ahead!

The only pics we took of the hotel in Cabo and our selves.

Wife's Log:
Day 10 – Monday, May 22, 2006
We woke up and took our over night bags out to the car (bags because I am involved – as my husband puts it, I can’t just make it simple – I have to take everything). Speaking about everything, we had brought all kinds of pills for those ‘just in case’ moments. I didn’t want to be without them if we needed them, and then the list goes on. I want to have this – ‘just in case’, and don’t for get that – ‘just in case’. I guess it is a sickness, but I would rather be over prepared than under prepared.
We pointed the rental car toward Cabo San Lucas. With no plans of what to do or where to go, except for an idea. Our ride down to Cabo San Lucas was uneventful. We have a time share in what we thought was Cabo San Lucas, our time share shall will remain anonymous. On our drive down to Cabo San Lucas I decided I was going to call this time share and see if they had any rooms available. Up until this point we had been completely satisfied with our time share; but not today. Of all days, the system was down so they could not determine if any rooms were available. You cannot check into the time share without prior reservations. I had called back quite a few times – same answer – the computers are still down. Aggghhh!!! Forget them and all of the money we had already paid them! I was furious. Our time share is really nice, friendly, and helpful (most of the time). They call our time share ‘Our Home Away from Home’. Well not in Mexico and not this time. I was beginning to think that maybe we had a dark cloud over us, bike is broke down and we could not book our hotel, but it gets better – I mean worse. Since our vacation started we had not stayed in big towns, we avoided the big tourist traps – who crosses over in Tecate? So Cabo San Lucas was going to be a change, and boy I was not expecting it. La Paz is a large town, but where we were, on the coast, was not very crowded. Not until we found our Churros did we see how big La Paz was. We even watched Policia arrest an individual and put – more like throw – them into the back of a truck. Wow, I like it on my water front hotel. Anyway, back to our small town adventures, Cabo San Lucas was going to be a change and a distraction – something to take our minds off of the money we paid for the part, the money we paid to ‘over night’ the part, and some three days later still don’t have the part that was sent ‘as fast as you can’ shipping.

We arrived in Cabo San Lucas and it was a mad house. I was not expecting all of the people crowded on the streets. It was overwhelming. I was wondering, ‘What are we doing here? This is not what I was thinking or expecting’. But as Cory puts it, we are here, and it is only one night, so roll with it. After driving around what seemed to be the ‘hang out’ or ‘the place to be’ a few times we found a Tourist booth and I jumped out to gather information. A map in hand and all of the other details lost I jumped back into the car and was no more the wiser where to go, but hey, we have a map.

After driving around town for what seemed like forever looking for a Hotel and seemed like every hotel in the town we came up empty handed. The hotels were either booked or more money than we wanted to pay. We drove around and found one on the out skirts of town and decided to stop. It seemed nice, the price was reasonable, but it had a loft. With hesitation on my part we asked to see the room. The room was clean, full kitchen, living room, and a loft. To get to the loft you had to walk up the spiral stair case. I was not impressed. Cory on the other hand really like the room, but as the saying goes, ‘happy wife – happy life’. With some harassment to the front desk clerk questioning the comment, ‘This is the only room available’ we turned down the room in search for other quarters for the night. We had the same luck as before, why did I think it was going to get better or the world would stop because of me – I don’t know. So with hesitation we headed back to the Hotel with the loft. My dearest husband had adamantly decided he was not going to go into the hotel to make the reservations – if I wanted to stay there now I had to make the reservations. This is his way of humbling me – he enjoys these moments.

I walked into the Hotel with a completely different tune – honored to stay at this wonderful hotel. I was then informed the room we had looked at was booked – mind you this was the only room they had available. My luck, now I was going to have to tell Cory and hear, ‘We should have just booked it the first time, why can’t you just be happy’ song from him. Before I bid the front desk clerk good day and thanked them for their time, yet again, she informed me she had just received a cancellation and another room was available. This room was a regular unit – not a loft. I said, may I please book it. With our bags carried into our room no lunch in our tummies we headed out in search for food. We came upon what looked like a shopping center. This shopping center turned out to me a multi shopping mall. Wow, it makes all of the people disappear and look more like the wonderful vacation a girl dreams of. I am really enjoying our vacation. It was extremely hot in Cabo San Lucas, but you had no thought of hot or uncomfortable in the mall; just beautiful bliss and wonderful opportunities.
Before entering the mall and getting engulfed in all of those wondrous opportunities we decided to get some thing in our tummies so our bodies will sustain all of the pain of walking and shopping ahead of us. We stopped off at Taco City. Let me tell you a bit about my husband. He is a wonderful man and I am very happy and grateful everyday that we are married. He has such a simple look on life; when you are eating at Black Angus you order steak – you don’t order spaghetti at a steak restaurant, when you are at Chinese restaurant you order Chinese food – you don’t order chicken fingers and French fries. So that being said, when you are at a place like the Taco City you order tacos, not a burrito. They obviously specialize in tacos – duh. My choice of Mexican food is burritos, but on this trip I had to get use to eating tacos. We ordered our tacos; I am limited in my choice of meat – chicken or pork – sometimes shrimp. My stomach cannot handle beef and I don’t like fish. So we order our tacos. These were the worst tacos we had so far and turned out to have on our trip – and to make it worse Dad was eating the BEST tacos of the trip we will find out later.
With our stomachs full of those un-flavorful tacos, we stopped off at a coffee shop for a ‘cup of joe’ (which Cory will need to keep him going for the shopping ahead of him).

We headed into the mall and it was like a kid being in a gigantic candy store; you don’t know where to start, or what do see first. It was quite fun. I picked up a bathing suit that was beautiful. American money is worth more in Mexico and during this time it was about $1 got you $12 pesos. Easy math, for every 10 pesos you are spending $1.00 US. This bathing suit cost roughly $1340.00 pesos – about $112.00 US dollars. That is not much cheaper than a US bathing suit, but hey it is a souvenir. After that damage, I felt it best that I didn’t talk about the cost, but there was no way around it. I was in the store for over an hour. Ya, Cory asked. Ladies – it is best to give the price in pesos and watch your husband try and do the conversion in their head. Well my husband is simple and bottom line type of guy – how much money is that in US dollars. Ouch, but I still have it and think about Mexico every time I wear it.

Back at the hotel we had a nice pool. Swim up BAR and a nice square U shaped pool. The deep end was at the bottom of the U and the shallow ends were at the straight part of the U. We went for a romantic swim in the evening to cool off and headed back into the hotel to get ready to do laundry. I started laundry and it was already evening and getting dark, the sun was rapidly slipping away. The hotel with was more like a time share we later found out, had a restaurant at the pool side. Since we were so disappointed in Taco City we decided to stay at the hotel, eat and finish laundry. Dinner was good. I don’t remember what we ate, but I was satisfied. Dinner did not ‘settle’ with Cory and soon departed. Then Cory was hungry again. I went to the laundry room to switch the clothes from the washer to the dryer. It was completely dark and there was no light in the laundry room. I have to set the stage because I still get blamed for this. With the clothes in the dryer we headed for the McDonalds we spotted earlier on our walk to the wonderful mall. Cory ate dinner again and I had a soft serve ice cream. We headed back to the hotel and I retried the clothes – remember there was no light in this room and it is pitch black.

I brought the clothes to the Hotel room to fold and pack away. I am not sure it was me, but the blame is put on me because I did the laundry. One of Cory’s socks went MIA (a pair of the socks cost like $20.00 back in the States). So to this day I lost the socks in the Hotel in Cabo San Lucas. We had a nice night until someone pounded on our door. At that time I wished we had the baton with us, it was almost like they were giving us a warning before the broke down the door. I guess it must have been a drunk person pounding on the wrong door, but it sure did get me worked up and thinking for the first time that maybe we were out of our element. Funny thing – completely out in the middle of no where I was fine, here in the middle of a thousand people and I was worried.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 02:02 PM
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #55
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 11 Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Day 11 – Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Parts come in and the bike is ready! But we get a penalty call from the referee.

Well we didn’t much care for Cabo so we decided to go back to La Paz. We made it back to the Los Arcos by noon and checked back in with Dad. Dad hadn’t heard any thing from Luis about the bike. So I called DHL to track the package. Miracles of all Miracles they told me that the parts had been delivered to the La Paz DHL office. (It should be noted that La Paz has a international airport and I assumed that the parts would have just flow into La Paz. That was my main source of frustration with the delay and the no hurry attitude of every one we contacted during this process)
Marcia and I walked to the DHL office on the way to Luis’s Honda shop. We walked in and told them I was there to pick up my package. They looked up the tracking number and they told me that it wasn’t there. AAGGH! I asked them to double check and they blew me off! I got on my cell phone and called the DHL number again and confirmed that the package had been delivered to the La Paz office. Frustrated we walked to the Honda shop. I told Luis that the parts had been delivered to the La Paz office and he walked over there with us. He checked in with his contact who again looked up the tracking number and told him that it wasn’t in the system as delivered. His contact told him that their shipment from the main land had arrived but not all of the packages had been scanned into the system. We were allowed to look through the packages sitting on the ground behind the rear door in the alley! Not what I would have considered safe for peoples packages but hey this is Mexico and nothing is done the way I think it should. We were looking through the packages and the staff was telling Luis that the package wasn’t there. Then the sky parted and angels began to sing and a light shined from the heavens down on a package all the way from California, it was our parts! I picked it up and showed Luis and he walked it in the office and they just said some thing like “oh ok you found it”. I was happy we found the package, frustrated it took longer to get here and the attitude of the no hurry was driving me nuts. I had been told what the shipping and parts was going to be from Marin BMW. As I recall it was over a hundred dollars to ship the package. We had to pay DHL for the package. We were charged an import and customs fee on top of the shipping fee! At this point we didn’t care they had us over a barrel and we needed the parts. My Dad had not brought inner tubes for this trip as he is not the kind to spend money on things that he think are not necessary. After my bike had suffered two flats and I had to use a tube to inflate the tire he decided he needed tubes. We had ordered some tubes for his bike with our parts. With the shipping fees and import and customs fees he paid twice the price of tubes back home. That extra hit in his pocket hit him kind of hard as he is tight with his money and then when he buys something in a pinch he kicks himself a little.

Luis took the parts and told us he could have the bike fixed by late after noon! We were all excited and ran back to the hotel to pack! We packed up our stuff put in the rental car and loaded up Dads bike. We checked out of the Los Arcos and by that time the bike was ready for pick up!

Luis told us the final drive repair was done in short order and like new. I asked him about the rear shock that he told me he could repair. “Oh no we cant fix things like that” At this point I didn’t care. The final drive bearing repair had been done the bike was running and riding fine with a blow rear shock two up and loaded for bear. (I have since sold that GS but the final drive is still rolling with no signs of problems!) Nothing to be done about the rear shock now we all agreed lets catch that Ferry to Copper Canyon! I paid Luis in US cash and it was super cheap I don’t even remember now how much but I gave him a little extra.

Luis knew that we had checked out of our hotel and now had to get the rental car back and still catch the ferry. We didn’t know where the ferry was we thought we did but we didn’t. He offered to drive us in our rental car over to the ferry building and assist us on getting all checked in and on the boat. Luis behind the wheel and pressed for time he took to the streets of La Paz like the Baja 1000 was at stake! He scared the wife and I and
my Dad following on his bike couldn’t even keep up. He was crossing double yellows, driving wrong way down streets, and even put it in reverse in a traffic delay and drove backward to the next block to go around. It was like a movie and he kept telling us “Its ok my brother, cousin, and father are in the Police force”. Well long story short we get to the ferry building way on the outskirts of La Paz and Luis has contact that works there. We had all our papers registration, passports, etc. ready to show. After about an hour the contact ask Luis where are their visitor tourist cards? We all look at each other and say don’t know do we need one? Yes we should have got one when we crossed into Mexico at Tecate. No tourist card no ferry ride. AHHHHH! Ok scramble! Luis, Marcia and I back in the Baja racer and Dad on his GS and off to the Mexico consulate. Luis walks us in and explains in Spanish to the guy behind the glass the situation. The guy looks unimpressed and even less concerned about our situation. We get asked why we don’t have the visitor tourist card thing and where did you cross into Mexico. Long story short Luis says “They didn’t know they needed one and no one stopped them at the boarder to check”. The consulate guy says well its not my problem. We had to pay a $30 fine per person and then he issued us the stupid visitor card that we should have got way back in Tecate.

Ok by now its too late to catch that days ferry and still drop the rental car off and pick up the bike. So now that we have checked out of our hotel it’s another hotel search. We drop Luis off and thank him for all of his help and say good bye. I never even thought of taking a picture of him. He was very helpful and gave us some of his free time free of charge. If your in La Paz or near by and need bike help I recommend Luis and his Honda shop. So we dropped Luis off I rode the bike while Marcia drove the rental car back and we dropped the car off.

We found a hotel that was cheap for the night. We all had a sit down about the future of the trip. Dad had been away from Mom now for 11 days and was starting to get home sick (Big Baby) . We all talked about whether or not to catch the ferry the next day or head back home. I was all for continuing on with Copper Canyon and Marcia was pretty much on my side as she knew how much I wanted to go and the time and energy I put into planning this trip. We had enough time left and had really only used our “Spare days or down days” for this repair. We just didn’t have anymore spare time. We talked about Dad going back home and Marcia and I catching the ferry. We decided against that as this was against one of agreed rules of never splitting up or riding at night. Although we will break those rules in short order when we get into Copper Canyon. So we all voted to catch the ferry next day and continue on with the trip! We where there and may never get the chance to do it again, roll the dice. Tomorrow we catch the ferry and land on the main land of Mexico! Copper Canyon Hoooo! The adventure continues!

The pictures start back up tomorrow sorry we didnt take any. Here is a teaser shot so you dont loose interest.

Wife’s Log:
Day 11 – Tuesday, May 23, 2006
We woke early and decided to head back to La Paz. Cabo San Lucas was more crowded than we anticipated. We arrived in La Paz and headed straight to see Luis and check if he had received our part. Luis had not, but quickly made a phone call. Luis informed us that finally our part was due to arrive in La Paz today. Now we headed over to the DHL office. We received the run around from the DHL employees. They indicated they had not received the shipment or had not yet taken inventory of the shipment. We headed back to see Luis and informed him what the DLH office had told us. Luis accompanied us over to the DHL office and spoke with one of his friends (Luis knew everyone or was related to everyone – he was a great find). Once Luis spoke, we were allowed in the back where a van was unloading a new shipment. We decided to search the pile of parts and what do you know, we found our box. It was a miracle. I get the feeling Cory thought we were going to be stuck in La Paz forever and he wasn’t happy about it. With the part delivered, I knew my time of relaxation and luxury will be short lived. We walked back to the Honda shop and Luis told us that the Bike would be ready in a few hours. With this information I could see Cory’s wheels turning and he was already deciding what our next plan was. We headed back to the Hotel, updated Dad and decided we were going to check out and catch the Ferry today. Yikes, it was all happening too quick. Luckily we took our clothes to Cabo San Lucas (and I did laundry) and they were all packed. We just had to gather our gear and head out. We loaded our car and went back to the Honda shop to wait for our bike. Luis had asked us if we knew where the Ferry was located. Luis then decided he was going to take us to the Ferry and help us get tickets for the next Ferry which was later in the day. The bike was still being worked on. We still had the rental car, it was now loaded with all of the ‘stuff’ I had to bring. We decided to let Luis drive since he knew where he was going. Oh boy, I never thought we were going to make it alive. Luis at the wheel, Cory in the passenger seat, me in the back with all of our stuff and Dad following behind on his bike with all of his stuff and we were racing towards the Ferry building. As soon as Luis got behind the wheel he was driving very fast on the streets of the town. One lane road going each way and I guess the traffic in front of us was not moving as fast as Luis liked, so he decided to pass three cars. I felt bad for Dad, he was following behind and had to keep up. We went down to the area that was closed off and I guess Luis thought because he knew everyone that he would be let through; well that was not the case. We drove down the road on the wrong side of the road to get to where the Policia were, no go. We need to turn around. So what does Luis do, he decided to pull a James Bond move and back up on the street with traffic and do a whip around move and put it into drive and go down another town road. I was beginning to think, how much is it going to cost if we wreak this car? Poor Dad, had to try and keep up. It just gets better. We were on a road that was out of the town limits and it was again one lane going each way, it was windy and went up and down, and had plenty of blind spots. The way Luis was driving you would have thought the Ferry was leaving in less than a minute. We passed more people. Cory had grown very quite and started to hold on to the grip on the ceiling of the car. I started to laugh, partly because of Cory’s response, and the other part because if I didn’t I might have been crying. We made it to the Ferry. Luis took us to a special area to buy tickets from another ‘friend’. There was quite a long discussion and Luis asked us for our Visitor Pass. We never received a Visitor Pass and had no clue what he was talking about. Luis then was talking to his friend more. We were probably there for about 1 hour. After all of the discussion, no matter how good of a friend Luis was, he could not pull any strings for us to get on the Ferry today because we didn’t have a Visitor pass. We bid Luis’ friend good bye and headed for the car. Our drive back was much like the drive to the Ferry building. Luis passed up a semi on a turn, and when we approached a sharp turn Luis would tap on the breaks and say ‘Whoa Daddy’ kind of under his breath like he was trying to send a signal to Dad who was still following behind us. It was growing quite comical.

We learned from Luis that we should have obtained this Pass when we crossed over the Boarder, but if you remember, we were waved right on through and thought, this is going to be easy. No, it is going to be fee to enter Mexico. The fee was $30.00 US dollars per person. Luis drove us what seemed to be all over La Paz to find a Bank to pay our fee at. Luis could not remember the exact location, so we went up and down and up and down the streets, with Dad following close behind. Again, this was another ‘friend’. We found this friend. Luis spoke to him and I get the idea Luis was trying to get the Fee to go away for us, which was very sweet of him. Luis’ friend couldn’t wave the fee, and come to find out he also could not accept the fee. It had to be paid at another location.

We then went down to some official office which was very close to the Los Arcos Hotel (you know the one that was gloriously wonderful), we received instruction that we could pay the fee at any Bank and we must bring a receipt of the payment back to this official office and then we will receive our Visitor Pass. By this time all of the Banks were closed, it had been a long day, Luis needed to get back to his shop, and we wanted to see the progress on our bike. The bike was finished we paid Luis the fee and then some. He was very helpful, generous, and had just spent almost all day with us trying to help us out. What a guy.

We have a few things we now needed to do. First, find a place to sleep, second, turn in our rental car.
Hotel – we found a cheap hotel (it was very rough) check in. Cory and I turned in the rental car and headed back to the hotel. We needed some food and Dad had told us that he found killer tacos while we were in Cabo. So we were game. It was a corner restaurant where they were grilling the meat outside. You could sit inside or outside. We opted for outside. The tacos were very tasty – the best tacos we had so far. Good find.

We headed back to the hotel for a quick dip in the pool. Yuck! It was the complete opposite of the Los Arcos pool. This pool had floaties and it just made you itch thinking about it. It was warm so we went for a soak. The pool wasn’t heated so it felt cool, but good. We reminisced about the days adventure, Cory & I about our ride through town, Dad about his attempt to follow and keep up with us in a legal safe manner. It would have been a tough day without help from Luis, even if our lives flashed before our eyes and I told my husband ‘remember I Love You!’
We showered up to clean off any of the floaties and decided for an evening snack – Churros. One last trip before we headed out. I was sure going to miss those. Hopefully they have them on the other side.

Picture update! I found some lost pics.

The best taco stand in La Paz!

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 02:08 PM Reason: put some smile guys in there
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #56
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
n

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #57
VooDooPope
Looking for 2 good wheels

Oddometer: 22
great report. keep it coming.
VooDooPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #58
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Im lost on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon
n

"n" hmm im not sure what that means?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #59
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Day 12 Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Day 12 – Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Ferry ride to the mainland, Topolampapo, and we start the real adventure to Copper Canyon.

We now where all ready to get on the ferry, paper work check, bike fixed except the shock. We had come this far and managed to get the bike repaired in time to continue so we weren’t going to stop now. I had my hesitations of riding the most difficult part of the journey ahead of us with a blown out rear shock. We were not only way over packed but I also had a passenger. There was no rebound dampening in the shock which made for a bumpy ride that bottomed out pretty much on every bump two up.

So we headed out for the ferry building knowing there would be some ticket buying and paper work to be done. We got stopped not to far from the ferry building to allow for the unloading of the ferry. It was quite a wait but the beaches were beautiful.

Finally at the ticket booth and we couldn’t stop smiling. It was really starting to feel like an adventure in another country. The ferry was pretty big. We got on and the bikes tied down and headed top decks for some pics and food. Once on the ferry and taking pictures we saw the beaches that surrounded the area. We should have done some camping out on these beaches it would have been postcard perfect, oh well next time.

Its something like a six hour ride to the port of Topolampapo. We got tired and board. There was a movie showing in the theater but its Mexico not California smoking was allowed. So I decided to take a nap. I laid out on the floor and caught some sleep. When we got close to the docks it was night time almost 11pm, so we went out on deck and watched the crew throw the lines and dock the ship. We headed down to where the bikes were stored and waited for our turn to off load. Dad got tired of waiting and started out so I followed. We cut in front of the cars waiting for the loading ramp to lower. I’m not sure why but Dad decided he would just ride right off while the ramp was still lowering and still a good 2 foot from the bottom. It was like the Dukes of Hazard and yes I followed with the wife on the back! It was dark and late in an unknown town so we just headed into town and found a hotel. Tomorrow we head into the desert and Copper Canyon! Dad breaks some ribs tomorrow!

Wifes Log:
Day 12 – Wednesday, May 24, 2006
We woke up early, packed and headed out. We honked as we passed the Honda shop. We had to find a bank to pay our fee, get some kind of receipt, take it all back to the official building place, then obtain our Visitor Pass and take that to the Ferry building. Once all of this running around had been completed, we headed out to the Ferry building. On our way we were stopped by a huge line of cars parked in front of us. People were out of their cars standing around or trying to stand in the shade of a semi parked on the side of the road going in the same location. We had no clue what was going on, but quickly though, we are going to miss the Ferry again! After some time of waiting with no reason or indication of why we were stopped a huge extra wide truck came down the road. And then some cars, and then another huge extra wide truck and it just seemed to continue. It must have been cargo and passengers from the Ferry that had just arrived and we wanted to depart on. Ahhhhh. After some time, the official men who had the whole group of cars stopped had received communication that it was ok to allow us through. These official men had some mercy on us and allowed us to go ahead first. Yeah, here we were racing to the Ferry building. Once at the Ferry building, we were faced with two choices. Choice #1 – Do we want to buy our ticket like everyone else buys their ticket? Choice #2 – Do we want to find Luis’ friend to purchase a maybe discounted ticket from him? We decided to go with Choice#1 – Buy a ticket from the ticket both. The line was not very long, but it was very slow. After we purchased our ticket it then became a waiting game. We had been on a Ferry going to Victoria Island and bikes load first. In Mexico, bikes load last. So we waited for what seemed like almost every car to load before we were waived on in.

We bought the ‘El Cheapo’ tickets – fair only. There was an option to buy a ticket and a room, but we had already spend quite a bit of money on our bike repairs, so we thought it is only a 6 hour ride. Once aboard, you cannot go back down to your bike during the ride, you must take everything you want/need with you when you leave your vehicle or in our case our bikes. With the fair price you received a ticket for dinner, Mexican dinner. I thought I could never get tired of Mexican food. This food was not Mexican food, it was cafeteria food that was trying to be Mexican food. We went out on the deck as we were pulling out of La Paz and took some beautiful pictures of the wonderful coast and white sand beaches. I wish we knew where those were the first two days we were in La Paz. It was a nice night, cool and the breeze blowing. It was so beautiful. We headed back inside to get a bite to eat. We ate and thought, what are we going to do for the next 5 hours? The Ferry boat had multiple floors, cafeteria room which was a no smoking room, and a lounge room/bar room that allowed smoking. There was so much smoke it was like the morning fog. We stayed in the cafeteria room which had one option of seating, chairs. We played cards and grew tired of cards and just wanted to go to sleep. I was starting to think we should have bought a room. We tried to sleep sitting up in the chairs resting our head on our arms on the table, didn’t work. Cory and I finally resorted to lying down on the floor. We were tired physically and mentally after tying to make sure everything went as planned or sort of planned. Didn’t sleep much, kids crying or running around, but I think we caught a few winks. When we had the feeling we were getting close we headed outside to see if we could see anything, no luck. It was pitch black and the only thing you could see is the lights we were headed towards which must have been our destination. As we approached the dock we saw some boats out in the water. We headed back inside so we could be some of the first down to our bikes so we could get off.

Getting off the Ferry seemed to be much like getting on the Ferry, bikes go last. Cory & Dad got tired of waiting and decided to jump off the Ferry. Our ramp had not finished lowering for us to get off and Cory & Dad decided to jump it. I had no idea what was going on until we went bump! Guys! It was very cool and we drove to an area that looked like a town so we started to search for a hotel. We found a Hilton Garden Inn, ahhh my style. Cory sent me in to check the price, it was cheap - $50.00 for the room for the night. Score! We unloaded all of our stuff, this was becoming a drag. I was telling myself at the time that I will not bring all of this stuff next time, which is a lie. We settled in and decided to walk around town for food. We found taco stand after taco stand, none of them served chicken or pork. Dad got something to eat at one of the booths, and I told Cory to do the same, but he is stubborn. He didn’t want to eat unless I had something to eat. I told him if all else, I will order room service. It seemed like room service was our only option. So we headed back to the hotel. I called room service, we were 10 minutes too late. So Cory cooked us up some Mountain Backpacker food. We ate, showered, and turned in early. We knew we had a long day ahead of us. We just didn’t know exactly how long or what the day would bring us.

Picture Update

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 10-31-2008 at 02:15 PM
Old 08-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #60
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
wow! i love these "first motorcycle trip to mexico" reports. all of those wrong decisions are so funny now

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote