Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #106
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,695
Spliting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master prune
Yeh, I have to agree. Leave together, come home together. Taking off on your own, well..... I just don't think there's any excuse for it. Believe me, It's difficult not to express what I really think about that . Loved the RR though and really glad you put all the work into it. Thanks for taking us along. Now back to that pile on my desk...
Yeah I know I didnt like it either. The fall out in Copper Canyon was for sure a split. The last one in AZ was more of an accident / not paying attention. I was kind of between a rock and a hard place. I knew my Dad could handle him self better than my wife could handle being by her self and i have to live with her. So happy wife happy life. Group ride dinamics are funny on every Long Way Round or Down they have a glitch in the personalities along the way.

As a hard and fast rule never never split up stay together its safer.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #107
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Great report thanks, I laughed, I cried, I worried, nah just kidding but it was a good read.....now its time for me to get some work done!
drbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #108
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
The saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" sure applies here.
Kudos for having the guts to post the ride report. I am not sure if it will help sell more Beemers though.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #109
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
Kudos for having the guts to post the ride report. I am not sure if it will help sell more Beemers though.
Let's just say that doing that ride on a BMW heightens the sense of adventure.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #110
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Great report. I read every line!

I have run short on water in Mexico myself and it is really scary. When you are working hard you can go through a lot of water.

Great trip and thanks for putting the RR together.

steve
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #111
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Love em or hate them BMW's are good bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
I dont think there is another bike that could have shouldered the load we put that GS through. I have bought two more since.

Thanks for all the kind words glad you all enjoyed it.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #112
Rockin Rollin
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Excellant report hotmamaandme. (hotmama andme )
Sure fits with your sign off which I really like
Thanks I know it is a lot of time & effort for a grand report like that.
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #113
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Just finished your report, one sitting, got to get moving.

Thanks for all the time and effort, all three of you put into doing the ride report.

Just back from Copper Canyon, into Batopilas and out from Creel. Had reports from our guide about the ride from Batopilas to the coast was not something to do on our big bikes. He had done it on his KLR, and would not do it again.
Glad you survived, and got to tell your tale.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #114
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks

Many thanks fellas. I hope this helps some and inspires even more. Ride safe, ride all the time!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #115
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Great ride report and quite an adventure!! Did you save the GPS tracks from Topalomapompo (sp) to Bato. ??
If you did could you E-mail'em

Your trip brought back a lot of good memories for the same trip and maybe the SAME route.

If you have time and interest - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=3049

Hope to run Into you guys sometime. Chuck
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #116
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

No tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee
Great ride report and quite an adventure!! Did you save the GPS tracks from Topalomapompo (sp) to Bato. ??
If you did could you E-mail'em

Your trip brought back a lot of good memories for the same trip and maybe the SAME route.

If you have time and interest - http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=3049

Hope to run Into you guys sometime. Chuck
No I didnt save the GPS track and i wish i did. Glad you enjoyed it. Great report you attached as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #117
dleonsingleton
Banned

Oddometer: 29
Los Arcos

Glad you found the Los Arcos.....Stayed there on a photo shoot and thought it better than alot of US road houses.
Funny thing about the h2o the little mini tequilas were cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Day 7 – Friday, May 19, 2006

Operation get my bike fixed Day 1

Dad and I rode down to the bike shop to check with Luis on parts availability and get a time estimate on the repair. Luis had the part numbers that were needed to replace the worn out bearing. He had all the equipment to do the job it was just a parts issue. He had called down to the BMW dealer in Cabo and they didn’t have the bearing but all the seals they did have. He told us to come back later that after noon and he would have checked around some other shops for a possible bearing replacement. So Dad and I decided to scout out the town a bit but mainly find the ferry building where we would catching the boat over to the main land. We found a hotel, the Los Arcos, right on the water front and more central to shops and food. We went in and looked around and both said “Lets move!” The Los Arcos was a very nice hotel with a pool and restaurant and game rooms really more geared for longer stays with families and tourist.

We rode back to the hotel where Marcia was and told her the plan and with some “Discussion” convinced her to move. So we had Dad pack all his stuff and I rode down with him and helped him move into our new room at the Los Arcos. With Dad in the room I took the bike back to Marcia and packed what we could with room for her then took her down to the Los Arcos. I rode back and packed the rest of the “Stuff” and checked out and rode back to our new digs. I had noticed that none of the local who were riding small Honda Cub scooters or small CC bikes wore helmets. I rode back to the Honda shop to follow up with Luis on the parts progress. On the way there I was stopped by a Cop on a quad who asked me something in Spanish about “Cabeza” and pointed to her head which had a helmet on it. I had decided “When in Rome do as the Roman's do” so I had left my helmet in the hotel. She, the Cop, was not very happy and was pretty upset. I told her I have a helmet but I was going back to the hotel to get it. She just rode off with that “Stupid American” look of disdain on her face which I know all to well as I have done the same. A wave of relief came over me because I had pictured my Dads bike being towed and all the red tape fines and stuff that came along with it. At Luis’s shop he told me that he could not find a replacement bearing at any local shops. So he could have the Cabo BMW shop order the part but it would be a 7-10 day wait! I asked to use his phone to call my local BMW shop in CA, Marin BMW. Luis with some hesitation let me use the phone but he timed the call! As soon as I was done with the call he called the phone company and got the total charge for the call and asked me to pay which I had no issues with it was like $20. Marin BMW had all the parts and shipped them out next day DHL. (Big thanks to Marin BMW) I thought well that was easy! (Again as I mentioned this whole repair would cost us some precious time and wear on some nerves before it was all done.) With the parts on the way I rode back and updated the crew. We were all relived and in good spirits so we headed out for a walk around town and some food.

Wife's Log:
Dad woke up early in search for food. He could not get a hold of us because we had our garage door down and the walls were thick. So he had to climb in the bushes to get to our window and get our attention. We let him go in search for food. I guess Dad was lonely and he went out in search of the town to see what it had to offer. Dad and Cory found a hotel/resort Los Arcos. We decided to transfer over to Los Arcos and get one room with 2 Queen beds. This hotel had a pool and restaurant and was closer to markets and town. So we switched, with hesitation on my part.
Cory ordered the part that we needed from Marin BMW via Next Day air – the soonest possible. The whole Hotel switch thing took more effort on everyone than I had anticipated. First Dad and Cory went to the Hotel to book the room and unload what gear Dad had on his bike only. Our bike is at the Honda dealership – out of order. Then they came back to our first Hotel to gather more gear. As you see in the pictures we totally over packed. Once most of the gear had been moved it was my turn to be transferred. In the rush of things Cory forgot his helmet at the new hotel (Los Arcos) and drove over to get me at the original hotel. On our way to the Los Arcos hotel a policewoman pulled up next to us on a Quad – she said something in Spanish and pointed to her helmet. We smiled and waved. I think she was giving us a warning about not wearing a helmet; however none of the locals wear helmets. Once we were finally settled I then realized it was a nice switch. There was a cafeteria down stairs of the hotel, a beautiful swimming pool, and we felt more like we were in a town and not on the outskirts. Oh, I can’t forget, this hotel had a small refrigerator stocked with water and American candy (snickers & milky way). I guess Dad didn’t read the label that was on the water bottle, but they were charging a very high sur-charge to drink the water the hotel provided and the candy. Well when temptation gives way, you give in. I gave in to some of the candy- which by the way is extremely hard to find in La Paz.
dleonsingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #118
rockmyworld
TWO UP

Oddometer: 14
Been there, done that, only in reverse!!!

3 years ago, my riding partner (ex-boyfriend) and I did that almost exact same trip exact in reverse order. These picture bring back some great memories. Wish I could do it again, but won't go there alone. Thanks for the memories. Maybe we can touch base and share stories in death valley this March. If you want to share my campsite you can, so far, I am only one person and one site reserved.
rockmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #119
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Thanks and PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyworld
3 years ago, my riding partner (ex-boyfriend) and I did that almost exact same trip exact in reverse order. These picture bring back some great memories. Wish I could do it again, but won't go there alone. Thanks for the memories. Maybe we can touch base and share stories in death valley this March. If you want to share my campsite you can, so far, I am only one person and one site reserved.

Glad you enjoyed it.