User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
adriannzinha OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Saint Petersburg Area riders

Wondering if any inmates ride in my neighborhood?

I've just bought a wee honda supermoto after being out of riding for a while and have zero riding friends here.

Not looking to ride crazy or strafe apexes, just get out on the moto, have some laughs, and be safe.

The bike is used, it's got 100% new street tires, and I've never ridden in dirt but some nice fire or dirt roads might be fun. It's also got 14hp on a really good day and doesn't like freeways since i don't enjoy riding a bike that sounds like a grenade at 60 mph.

In the meantime, I'll go back to dodging 95 year old snow bird cagers and jumping curbs. ..
adriannzinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Gromzilla
I like them taters

Oddometer: 3
30 year dirt rider here in Largo with enough street experience to know I want to stay off the main roads. New Grom 2 weeks ago, ready to ride!
Gromzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
adriannzinha OP
Adventurer

PM sent
Old 02-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
jvazquez
n00b

Oddometer: 2
New DL650A rider in Clearwater. No dirt experience, but interested in some dirt/gravel roads maybe. I also ride a BMW K1200RS sport touring bike. I work weekdays, but always looking to ride on a nice weekend day.
jvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
adriannzinha OP
Adventurer

jv - let's plan for a weekend then. I don't think there are any dirt roads in pinellas but supposedly there might be something in pasco or polk county. Otherwise a leisurely street ride would be easy to arrange.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
Gromzilla
I like them taters

Oddometer: 3
Yes, unfortunately the only "trails" are up that way. I am also up for a weekend ride.
Gromzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
fastcat14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Im in St Pete and ride a DL650 Vstrom. I commute on it daily. You are right, there's not much in the way of dirt or gravel riding around here. There is always the east end of Gandy Beach, I sometimes see people bombing around on ATVs or dirt bikes. A few years ago I explored some areas on 28th street south of the solid waste power plant.

Personally I prefer to head to places like Zephyrhills, Brooksville, or even up to Ocala National Forest. Tons of forest roads to explore there, but I wouldn't try it on street tires, even the dirt roads can get sandy in spots especially on the hills. Yes, the have some of those there unlike Pinellas county. But with your bike those places could be a bit of a haul so you might have to resort to trucking it to get somewhere less urban.

I am in the Woodlawn area by the way, off MLK and 22nd Ave N. Good luck and have fun.
fastcat14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Been lurking….sounds like fresh meat for a trip down south…

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=wanker
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
fastcat14
Adventurer

good point. there is a weird place called "the squares" east of Naples that is pretty fun to explore. Janes scenic drive is a good ride too. Naples is kind of a long ride from St Pete though, but doable.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat14 View Post
good point. there is a weird place called "the squares" east of Naples that is pretty fun to explore. Janes scenic drive is a good ride too. Naples is kind of a long ride from St Pete though, but doable.
Yep…have done all that…and Loop Road at night…very cool. I'm up for it. It'll be an overnighter.

The other guys will show up soon...
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
adriannzinha OP
Adventurer

Hi there!

I know some great routes just south of the skyway. .. pretty country roads, some twisties, and even random dirt paths.

I've driven this area pretty extensive in my sporty cage. I haven't ridden here yet as i don't like going a long way solo to paved without good cell service on a used bike. Fyi.. I'm not a dude or mechanically inclined!

That aside. .. Not sure how happy my little supermoto will be going over the skyway but I'd find a way.

Anyway, I'm all for planning a ride with a group of everyone here.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat14 View Post
if you guys come this way don't forget to let us sw. florida guys know by posting up in the sw thread.

i can ride in this area pretty much any week day.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriannzinha View Post
Hi there!

I know some great routes just south of the skyway. .. pretty country roads, some twisties, and even random dirt paths.

I've driven this area pretty extensive in my sporty cage. I haven't ridden here yet as i don't like going a long way solo to paved without good cell service on a used bike. Fyi.. I'm not a dude or mechanically inclined!

That aside. .. Not sure how happy my little supermoto will be going over the skyway but I'd find a way.

That's certainly close enough that I'd be happy to hop on the KLR and squeeze in a ride. This afternoon was so nice I had to play hookey from (house) work and take the Buell out for a non-commuting daylight motorcycle ride since I can't remember when. Anyway, Saturdays or Sundays, the more advance notice, the better, and just let me know.
south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
fastcat14
Adventurer

yeah, Ive explored down that way around Parrish and Wauchula. Good places to cruise around.

but whats the top speed of your supermoto? is it a 125? I have seen scooters ride over the skyway, but sure as heck wouldn't want to be on one of them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriannzinha View Post
Hi there!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
jvazquez
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm cool for up around Brooksville/Dade City or Ocala area, or south of the Skyway. I don't have a truck, so I'll be riding my Vstrom 650. Overnighters are cool with me, so I can travel a ways.
I have a stock Vstrom 650 and no real dirt experience, so it will have to be mild off road for me. At least initially. Most weekends are cool for me. The more advance notice, the better. Otherwise I might have already scheduled diving (scuba) or kayaking.

Thanks,
Jim.
jvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote