User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,497
SA's "The Pete's & Tony's OCR Show 2008"

This years OCR (Off Centre Rally) is at "Lorella Springs" 160k north of Borroloola in the Northern Territory on 9-10 August 2008

The map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1186380117
(compliments of atgreg)

P1 (H 1.) ... P2 (Preditor) ... T1 (Dogsbody) ...T2 (.....errr, Tony) have been planning their adventure for months & when the departure date finally arrived there was excited, tentative apprehention in the air from some of them although it doesn't show here

First night on the road was to be at the fabulous Cradock Hotel in the southern Flinders Ranges

As with all first nighters, there was potential for danger & suffering to be either self inflicted or with others' assistance amongst the group.

Consequently some of them enlisted help in the form of "responsible Adventurers" to oversee their management of enjoyment.

MB was enlisted by T2. as he had inadvertantly created an illusion somehow of being a respectable person & conoiseur of excellent filtered coffees

and a purveyor of fine crystal clear country rain water or it was something like that they said

The 'wild man' P3. on the otherhand was recruited by T1. for the exact opposite reason I think

Each excelled in their duties for their respective clients, especially P3. who, along with T1 & our hosts David & Julie could be heard in raucous laughter from the front bar at

..............12pm

..............1am

..............2am

..............3am

..............4am

It was therefore not surprising that breakfast was somewhat subdued

T1 actually thought the stripes on his mug were round.......poor bugga just check out his 4am eyes

Getting back to the start of the adventure.

We all met north of Adelaide and seen off by the "dancin johanson" on his Rocket III, although on trying to get there, one of the group had already gone down on a wet greasy road with slippery new rubber in pouring rain, luckily there was no damage to either his bike or himself.

First stop was Redhill to calm the nerves

Continuing on through some fabulous countryside & interesting tracks more calming words were required at Pekina

Before refueling at the "Pro Shop" at Orroroo.

"now if you go just down here a bit, kick a lefty then a right & Bob's ya Uncle"

Actually the right road to Johnburgh was out in the opposite direction, but everyone was happy for P1.

Out of the Weira Downs turnoff we were faced with riding into the setting sun towards Cradock with T2 bouncing an emu off his DR showing us it's feathers on the bike later

Everyone enjoyed their meals at the Cradock Hotel, but with prying eyes overhead, a few of the group were reluctant to partake in the famous "Goat Curry"

of course the occasional joke or two was heard as well

Farewells were said at Hawker and "The Pete's & Tony's OCR Show" officially got underway, while P3. & MB headed for the east loop out of Hawker & then towards Adelaide

The Hawker, Warcowie, Baratta Hill, Johnburgh Orroroo 200+ km loop turned into the best riding experience for the trip with most of the tracks recently graded, which often created a touch of excitement when hard ruts were hidden below soft dirt, sand or river stones. Check out Google earth here; http://picasaweb.google.com/masterbr...lJohnburghLoop (bottom left of the page)

P3.'s CRF450X performed faultlessly despite the few additional fuel breaks

Good Luck P1, P2, T1 & T2........................wish I was coming......sob .....sob

To be continued.....................................

Cheers

TDMKym

masterbrewer screwed with this post 08-11-2008 at 03:57 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
1WD
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 776
What a great prologue to a fantastic report to come!
1WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Looking good fellas,have a great trip.
PS. Funny looking WR450f
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS CRUZER
Looking good fellas,have a great trip.
PS. Funny looking WR450f
Oops! actually a CRF450x, fixed thanks AUS CRUZER

Damn squirt bikes

Cheers
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
MikeF
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 353
Well done guys, and have a good fun and safe trip to you all. Looks like it was a great start. Heard about the off incident from D. Someone had to do it.

Now Kym, be nice to the dirt bike riders. 'Cause soon i'll be one. Yes, i'm sorry, but I won't be using the TDM for Adventure riding any more. Too shiney and I want to keep if for more road oriented stuff.

So, and I know you're going to hate me, but i'll be ordering my shiney new KLR650 next week . Adding some SW-Motec crash bars and Andy Strapz panniers, and i'm set.

Forgive me master(brewer) LOL

MikeF
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Nice, not jealous at all, really, not at all...

choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,140
If you keep up this standard of reporting MB, people may find themselves disposed to inviting you to events all over the country and even supplying 'loan' bikes for your pleasure whilst you ply your ever increasing skills with photographic equipment and words.

Although cramped with other competing priorities, I have the calendar marked for the Tri State meeting at Mungo National Park later this year with, at this stage, full intentions of attending (other less scrupulous persons have a significant say in my need to be at work). It may be that I just want to be involved in one of your journalistic adventures.

Are there any bakeries around those parts of Victoria nd NSW that we intend heading to?? or are we eating out of cans????

Well done, and good luck to your mates doing this run!

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 08-02-2008 at 03:37 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
Looks like a great trip.

Good to see a couple of you blokes having a hair cut like mine.
Cant have hair and brains, although I missed out on both counts.

Enjoy the trip fellas.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

You're most kind, Trev

and very welcome to join me at a bakery somewhere

(P.S. can you just stick around a bit longer next time!)

masterbrewer screwed with this post 08-02-2008 at 06:55 PM
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oopps................. bad news, seems P2 will be on a plane back to Adelaide from Mt Isa on Saturday.

Luckily no off I believe, just an unfortunate experience with arm tendons that felt like a heart attack.

Others are apparantly bathing with the ol' crocs or should that be ol' crac pots at Adells Grove.

Bastaards!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Preditor
dirty pierre

Oddometer: 150
A Fine Choice Mike

So, and I know you're going to hate me, but i'll be ordering my shiney new KLR650 next week . Adding some SW-Motec crash bars and Andy Strapz panniers, and i'm set.

Forgive me master(brewer) LOL

MikeF[/quote]

Well done Mike. Two KLR's in the group now. Yours will be all shiny while Brain's side of ours is all scratched.
You should be more carefull Brains

(only jokin Tommy)
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Preditor
dirty pierre

Oddometer: 150
I have tears in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

Oopps................. bad news, seems P2 will be on a plane back to Adelaide from Mt Isa on Saturday.

Luckily no off I believe, just an unfortunate experience with arm tendons that felt like a heart attack.

Others are apparantly bathing with the ol' crocs or should that be ol' crac pots at Adells Grove.

Bastaards!

Sad day today as I went through a dry run of packing the KLR into a crate I got from the local Harley Dealer here. Have to take the bars and screen off to get it to fit. A close and dear friend has offered to pay the freight on the bike back to Adel and thats much appreciated. The Toll man here in Isa has been helpful and allowed me space at their depot to dis assemble and crate up the bike and bits. Would have much rather been eating dust than doing this.

Have aggravated the tendons ( was due to an off in a sand section on the Walkers Crossing Track between Innamincka and Birdsville about 30k's from the Birdsville track. Next couple of days were pretty painful arm wise.. And after 15 mins on the bike today the right hand was almost numb with pins and needles. Last couple of days at the Base Hospital here going through tests etc. They said they have had 7 bike riders in over the last two days with injuries.

Hopin P1, T1 and T2 are having a Ball. They left Adels Grove this am Thurs for Lorella and thought they would be camping out tonite and into Lorrella on Friday.

Taking the parafin budgie on Saturday via Brisbane to Adel.

Catch you all soon
Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor
Sad day today as I went through a dry run of packing the KLR into a crate I got from the local Harley Dealer here. Have to take the bars and screen off to get it to fit. A close and dear friend has offered to pay the freight on the bike back to Adel and thats much appreciated. The Toll man here in Isa has been helpful and allowed me space at their depot to dis assemble and crate up the bike and bits. Would have much rather been eating dust than doing this.

Have aggravated the tendons ( was due to an off in a sand section on the Walkers Crossing Track between Innamincka and Birdsville about 30k's from the Birdsville track. Next couple of days were pretty painful arm wise.. And after 15 mins on the bike today the right hand was almost numb with pins and needles. Last couple of days at the Base Hospital here going through tests etc. They said they have had 7 bike riders in over the last two days with injuries.

Hopin P1, T1 and T2 are having a Ball. They left Adels Grove this am Thurs for Lorella and thought they would be camping out tonite and into Lorrella on Friday.

Taking the parafin budgie on Saturday via Brisbane to Adel.

Catch you all soon
That's some Hard luck, get well, then think of the next rally you'll be doing
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
MikeF
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 353
Hi Preditor

Thanks for that. Hope everyone is well. I believe the "Event" is over now, but they still have to get home yet, so everyone TAKE CARE. We all want to see you back in one piece. Pity about your own injury, but at least it is not too serious.

MikeF
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
Marcbar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
We bumped into these four blokes on the Walkers Crossing Track. Apparently we camped within 5 kms of them that night. Really good blokes and we seemed to bump into them all the way to Adels Grove. I unfortunatly had to turn around at Adels due to a knee injury incurred before the trip. Taking on a 4WD head on while on a bicycle is not a good thing. Looking forward to catching up with you guys again to do the Flinders Ranges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

This years OCR (Off Centre Rally) is at "Lorella Springs" 160k north of Borroloola in the Northern Territory on 9-10 August 2008

The map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1186380117
(compliments of atgreg)

P1 (H 1.) ... P2 (Preditor) ... T1 (Dogsbody) ...T2 (.....errr, Tony) have been planning their adventure for months & when the departure date finally arrived there was excited, tentative apprehention in the air from some of them although it doesn't show here

First night on the road was to be at the fabulous Cradock Hotel in the southern Flinders Ranges

As with all first nighters, there was potential for danger & suffering to be either self inflicted or with others' assistance amongst the group.

Consequently some of them enlisted help in the form of "responsible Adventurers" to oversee their management of enjoyment.

MB was enlisted by T2. as he had inadvertantly created an illusion somehow of being a respectable person & conoiseur of excellent filtered coffees

and a purveyor of fine crystal clear country rain water or it was something like that they said

The 'wild man' P3. on the otherhand was recruited by T1. for the exact opposite reason I think

Each excelled in their duties for their respective clients, especially P3. who, along with T1 & our hosts David & Julie could be heard in raucous laughter from the front bar at

..............12pm

..............1am

..............2am

..............3am

..............4am

It was therefore not surprising that breakfast was somewhat subdued

T1 actually thought the stripes on his mug were round.......poor bugga just check out his 4am eyes

Getting back to the start of the adventure.

We all met north of Adelaide and seen off by the "dancin johanson" on his Rocket III, although on trying to get there, one of the group had already gone down on a wet greasy road with slippery new rubber in pouring rain, luckily there was no damage to either his bike or himself.

First stop was Redhill to calm the nerves

Continuing on through some fabulous countryside & interesting tracks more calming words were required at Pekina

Before refueling at the "Pro Shop" at Orroroo.

"now if you go just down here a bit, kick a lefty then a right & Bob's ya Uncle"

Actually the right road to Johnburgh was out in the opposite direction, but everyone was happy for P1.

Out of the Weira Downs turnoff we were faced with riding into the setting sun towards Cradock with T2 bouncing an emu off his DR showing us it's feathers on the bike later

Everyone enjoyed their meals at the Cradock Hotel, but with prying eyes overhead, a few of the group were reluctant to partake in the famous "Goat Curry"

of course the occasional joke or two was heard as well

Farewells were said at Hawker and "The Pete's & Tony's OCR Show" officially got underway, while P3. & MB headed for the east loop out of Hawker & then towards Adelaide

The Hawker, Warcowie, Baratta Hill, Johnburgh Orroroo 200+ km loop turned into the best riding experience for the trip with most of the tracks recently graded, which often created a touch of excitement when hard ruts were hidden below soft dirt, sand or river stones. Check out Google earth here; http://picasaweb.google.com/masterbr...lJohnburghLoop (bottom left of the page)

P3.'s CRF450X performed faultlessly despite the few additional fuel breaks

Good Luck P1, P2, T1 & T2........................wish I was coming......sob .....sob

To be continued.....................................

Cheers

TDMKym
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote