User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Fin333 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Been quite a few years since I owned/rode motorcycles. Life, job, and other distractions just took over. But growing up with dirt bikes I missed the adventure and fun that only a moto-bike can give. That, and I love to take a perfectly good device and modify it into something it is not. So thus became my build thread:

The Birth of MechanicO

MechanicO had a hard start to life. We had yet to meet and already he was down and out. Not even quite a year old MechanicO had some bad luck and ended up on an auction on the internet. As you can see he had a front end issue.

My goal with this thread is to walk you through a rebuild of a 2013 BMW F800GS but how I wish the bike had been made originally. This is how I generally do these projects; buy the newest technology but has been wrecked and I can get inexpensively. When you get them this new they are not hacked away at by every past owner. And screws and such are not rusted on. It is a great "blank canvas" to start with and allows you all kinds of liberties because it is already dead. You can't make it worse. Sure it might come to life and attacked the villagers and then they arrive with fire and pitch forks, but you still get to create what you want.

So stick with me as we create MechanicO and make him the bike he wants to be. For full disclosure, I started this last Spring but am just now getting to this thread. So for a while here I will be just catching up to where I currently am. And also want to mention some of the help I got from the some of the members here has been fantastic. So in the effort of collaboration, I wanted to share what I learned about these bikes.

So with that, let's start the build......

Fin333 screwed with this post 12-13-2014 at 09:24 AM
Fin333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Steering head or frame tweaked?
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Fin333 OP
Adventurer

Nope and that is the only reason I bid on it. The bike was at an auction outside of Baltimore. I found him on the internet several weeks before and figured it was the perfect project bike.

I already knew I wanted to put a new front on on him so a "pre-removed" front end was perfect. However, it all hinged on the head-tube being straight and non-damaged. Now, this is where some excellent German engineering comes in. As you can see in this shot:

The top triple clamp did its job; split opened and released for the accident. Otherwise, it would have take the head-tube with it and been a much harder fix. Also, you can see here:

The steer tube also bent and failed during the accident. Also saving the head tube and frame. All good engineering in my book.

So I also had a friend who lived in the area go over and inspect the head tube and frame for any damage. You just need to look for cracked or chipped paint. That is the give away. I also got a 2 minute Go_Pro video of the entire bike so confidence was high of buying it.

Think I can still use those head-set bearings?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
The good thing about winters is that people start updating all the threads they did not have time for in summers. On the other hand, if you had posted about it earlier, I may have had a few parts for you. So, did you go all out for WP suspension and a new front end? That's a lovely bike, most of the bike is intact, except for the front end damage (which is cheap in the grand scheme of things).
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Fin333 OP
Adventurer

Correct, it is now winter time here and time to catch up with the story.

The real crime would be to put the factory front end on. So yes, I'll show you what we did for that soon.

But here is a few more shots of him in the shop after winning the bid and waiting a few weeks for a trucking company to get out here with my new friend:

Here you can see a better shot of how the top triples reacted.

The forks also played a part and certainly did a lot to keeping the frame intact

It is sad to see a great bike like this in this kind of shape. I know you can part this out and make some money, but that is not why it was made in the first place. It should and needs to be on the road.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Hay, that rim can be straightened.

Subscribed
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70East View Post
Hay, that rim can be straightened.

Subscribed
Yeah, right. So can the triple clamps
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Yeah, right. So can the triple clamps
Little JB weld an they will be fiiiiine.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #9
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Looks like a fun project. Do you think the frame is straight with that hard a hit to the steering head? That would be a bummer to rebuild her and find out she tracks like a drunken horse because the steering head axis has a slight tweak.
I have tired fixing bent frames before with the guys with frame straightening and alignment machines with no luck.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin333 View Post
... and make him the bike he wants to be...
unleash him!
wipe-out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him... we have the technology.

We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.

Dun nuhnuh nuh...
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Fin333 OP
Adventurer

Indy Unlimited: That was always a concern that the frame was bent but honestly the fact the other parts all came apart (triple clamps, fork, etc) tells me the energy when into those and not the frame. And having a friend inspect was invaluable. But bottom line, it is always a gamble and it paid off in this case.

And a full set of Zega Pro luggage as well! They still had the instruction sheet in one of them. Never used. But also had to get keys for those.

So along those lines the dash took a big hit as well and was pretty smashed up

However, I was able to take it apart and rig it so I could at least power it up and read some of the data. Now I knew it would be a low mileage bike but had no idea this low

Wow, this poor guy took the hit WAY early in life. 704 miles total. I was ecstatic though that I essentially had a new bike. FYI: I was able to start it and it ran (in shop) just fine. Unfortunately, it did not have any of the keys, so I had to do a song and dance with the local BMW dealer to get a set for the bike. Actually it was pretty easy and they where very cool with it. You just need the title and your ID. They send it off to BMW USA, they confirm with the kaiser, you get keys. Less than a week I had them. I worked with Foothill BMW down in Denver and they where great about it.

So I started taking him apart to see what other damage we had. Basically take the triple clamps and everything after that, toast.

Even the bars and risers where deformed. The controls where all good so nice there. Funny enough the radiator took a big hit but did not leak. But it was so deformed it needed to go. Better one already in plan.

Next I'll show what I have planned for the entire front end.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Benfatti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm psyched! Can't wait to see what crazy ass improvements you make to this sweet moto!
Benfatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
How far back are you going to take it apart and look for damage?

I wonder if it belonged to an inmate here?
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #15
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I wouldn't be so sure the gamble paid off until the frame was actually measured. Heck even a plumb-bob down to the floor would be a start...
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote