Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 AM   #4621
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockstrada View Post

Well setup bike mate, you can see the $$$ invested are well thought through

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #4622
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
hey Miikka

have you got a lat and long for that bridge so i can look it up on Google earth
riding in Finnland this time next year

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #4623
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 125
Hei Reef,

The bridge is in Russia. (Sorry, didn't include location info on the picture)
You can find it in Google earth: N60 49.661 E32 49.731

But nevertheless, welcome to Finland next year!

-m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
hey Miikka

have you got a lat and long for that bridge so i can look it up on Google earth
riding in Finnland this time next year

reef
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #4624
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Picked her up today!! I LOVE this bike so far.
Attached Images

JediJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #4625
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thanks Miikka

looks interesting riding
sent you a pm of my rough route for my ride next year

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #4626
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJitsu View Post
It is clearly visible who`s the rider here........ Judging by the grin.... I`d say you need to let the guy on the right have some saddle time as well............ Welcome to the club..... Hide your wallet...... It get`s costly from here on out......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #4627
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
It is clearly visible who`s the rider here........ Judging by the grin.... I`d say you need to let the guy on the right have some saddle time as well............ Welcome to the club..... Hide your wallet...... It get`s costly from here on out......

Erling
Lol!! You sir, are correct. Gave me and the wife a good laugh. :)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #4628
eugeyus
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hello!!
one more!

eugeyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #4629
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeyus View Post
hello!!
one more!

Wow! Killer first post!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #4630
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:

Ahhhh....I see you pulled the trigger on a F800GS. That's great ! Now you can go about farkling it all up and planning some great rides.

I thought the bike super comfortable on the street and easy to trail ride. I didn't want to offend the girls in the other thread, the ones who had Triumph 800's loaned to them for a ride to Alaska. But, I don't think the big Truimph 800 is anywhere near trail capable as the F800GS. Also, I wouldn't consider buying a bike that's having a stalling problem like Triumph is having. Supposedly they have a fix out now but, that would have really torqued me off had I bought one.

I don't know where your located. If anywhere near North Carolina, me and 25 other guys are going to do some trail riding in the Smoky Mtns in a few weeks. Go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698767

It's all pretty easy trail riding stuff...but great fun !

Congrads on the beautiful bike....Good luck to you !
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #4631
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
hello!!
one more!

What a beautiful picture!! Congrats on the bike!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #4632
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Ahhhh....I see you pulled the trigger on a F800GS. That's great ! Now you can go about farkling it all up and planning some great rides.

I thought the bike super comfortable on the street and easy to trail ride. I didn't want to offend the girls in the other thread, the ones who had Triumph 800's loaned to them for a ride to Alaska. But, I don't think the big Truimph 800 is anywhere near trail capable as the F800GS. Also, I wouldn't consider buying a bike that's having a stalling problem like Triumph is having. Supposedly they have a fix out now but, that would have really torqued me off had I bought one.

I don't know where your located. If anywhere near North Carolina, me and 25 other guys are going to do some trail riding in the Smoky Mtns in a few weeks. Go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698767

It's all pretty easy trail riding stuff...but great fun !

Congrads on the beautiful bike....Good luck to you !
Thanks! I live down in central FL :(
That sure does sound like fun though! It seems like every trail I come across down here is deep sugar sand :(

The dealer sold BMW/Triumph/Ducati , so I was able to compare the XC to the GS. I walked in there with a bias towards the Tiger based on things I had read, but I left there SOLD on the GS. It just felt perfect for me. The tank on the Xc left me feeling like I was leaning over a grizzly's shoulders to get to the handlebars. Also, that thing is way too big. The seat height may be shorter on paper, but I could stand on the balls of my feet with the standard GS seat, and I could barely touch my toes down with the XC equipped with the low seat. I was really taken back by that. The Beemer had more clearance (ground, forks, and rear fender. The Beemer also felt significantly lighter. The sound... Man, it's just intoxicating every time I upshift and hear that exhaust growl, I just cannot get enough of it. Meanwhile, the XC truly did sound like a sewing machine/howling witch, and I'm not trying to be derogatory whatsoever, this is just my opinion, and I would not have been able to force myself to love it's exhaust note. Also, the snatchy throttle talk, I'm not sure if the 2011 Beemer was changed, but first gear to me is SMOOTH, maybe a bit fast, but definitely not snatchy IMO. I've already rode up my mom's driveway on the GS, which is like the gauntlet for an off road capable bike (for my novice skills). Not only did I get up it with no problems, but it was FUN, not scary :). This was done with the stock Pirelli Scorpions too, so I can't wait to get some K60 or TKC 80's on it! The only cons I can say I have found thus far is the seat comfort (there is none), and the wind kind of beats on me at high speeds. I am very happy with my decision!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4633
abrasive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thumb

Quote:
hello!!
one more!

LOVE that shot!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4634
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Thanks! I live down in central FL :(
That sure does sound like fun though! It seems like every trail I come across down here is deep sugar sand :(

The dealer sold BMW/Triumph/Ducati , so I was able to compare the XC to the GS. I walked in there with a bias towards the Tiger based on things I had read, but I left there SOLD on the GS. It just felt perfect for me. The tank on the Xc left me feeling like I was leaning over a grizzly's shoulders to get to the handlebars. Also, that thing is way too big. The seat height may be shorter on paper, but I could stand on the balls of my feet with the standard GS seat, and I could barely touch my toes down with the XC equipped with the low seat. I was really taken back by that. The Beemer had more clearance (ground, forks, and rear fender. The Beemer also felt significantly lighter. The sound... Man, it's just intoxicating every time I upshift and hear that exhaust growl, I just cannot get enough of it. Meanwhile, the XC truly did sound like a sewing machine/howling witch, and I'm not trying to be derogatory whatsoever, this is just my opinion, and I would not have been able to force myself to love it's exhaust note. Also, the snatchy throttle talk, I'm not sure if the 2011 Beemer was changed, but first gear to me is SMOOTH, maybe a bit fast, but definitely not snatchy IMO. I've already rode up my mom's driveway on the GS, which is like the gauntlet for an off road capable bike (for my novice skills). Not only did I get up it with no problems, but it was FUN, not scary :). This was done with the stock Pirelli Scorpions too, so I can't wait to get some K60 or TKC 80's on it! The only cons I can say I have found thus far is the seat comfort (there is none), and the wind kind of beats on me at high speeds. I am very happy with my decision!

I would agree with your assessments between the two bikes. Although, I found the GS seat very comfortable. Be aware that it takes miles of regular riding to break your ass in; the more riding the better. You can get to where you can ride endlessly without thinking a thing about it.

Also, and i'm probobly not telling you anything you don't know.....the TKC80 tires will be rough on the road. The Pirellis you have now will be like silk compared to the TKC80. Not sure about the K60. Since I do quite bit of road riding I'd look for a true 50/50 (road/dirt) tire. Motorcycle Superstore is a good place to look at all the available tires; just have to select one in which they make for your rim size.

Wind blast.....part of the game. I'm use to it and don't think a thing about it.

I have an 09 R1200R but here's what I ride in the dirt.....an 09 Kawasaki KLX250 which I've popped out to a 351.

I have some modest knobbies on it now....they're pretty rough on the road.......but It's a hoot !!!

RicH2 screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 08:57 AM
RicH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #4635
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
10,000 miles at 10:00 am