Here's mine!
Attached Images

castroses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #5192
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
New F800GS Owner

2011 F800: getting ready for my trip to Alaska this summer. Appointment in two weeks for a new seat from Bill Mayer

And a pic I took earlier on Hwy1 just north of San Simeon
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #5193
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
A little sun goes a long way in February~Western Washington
Attached Images

modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #5194
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Nice clean bike Lokey, welcome the The asylum….
A few thoughts abput alaska if i may..... you don't need nothin' else besides The Will to get north…. an Airhawk seat pad, maybe some tires, high quality 100% waterproof riding gear (no liners!), deep pockets + maybe a chain will get there and back.
The roads are much harder on chains than you'd think or the 1200GS guys can relate….. The trip is also far more expensive than is commonly communicated….. $120+ crappy motels, $15 burgers, $10 beers, $20 packs of smokes, etc…..

Forget about riding further north that there circle, it's all fluff from there and not worth the effort IMO for the crap ride you'll be in.
To this day I say it would have been a better trophy ride on my R1200R Road Bike without the fuss of the F bike…..But what do I know.
Pack light, I seen WAY too many people with crap packed up way high…… anything you need is right around the corner or will be in 5 hours and you're much better off NOT carrying everything YOU THINK you'll need.
With those big Jesse's….. if it don't fit inside, don't bring it. MIne we're the smaller Jesse's…. If it packs is too big, get smaller gear….. you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of the other "ADV" riders going To Alaska……
Did I say Pack Light?….
You're never far from helping hands, like driving an antique car at Disney on a predetermined road… there's no choice…. ONE ROAD.

Good luck riding north, it's an ADVenture!

Ahhhh…. to think about what "we" did before all the fancy upgrades.

I liked her better before I knew how "bad" she really was….

6/26/09 2:51 AM Delirious.

Midnight fixin'

Do bring a fishing rod…. the Northern Pike are delicious.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 12:04 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #5195
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Thanks for the advise and the encouragement Lost Rider. I have been trying to get used to the seat on this thing since I got it. I just can't seem to get comfortable no matter what, hence the custom seat. After I get done with Alaska I'm going to drop down through Montana and run along the west slope of the Rockies to New Mexico before I head home. As that's a long time in the saddle I want to be comfortable as I can.

I know what you mean about not bringing everything I own along. I have been traveling on bikes for years and I bring less and less along every time I take a trip. I got the Jessies on a scratch and dent sale, so I had little choice as to the size. Now that I have them I like the extra space as I am taking my laptop and cameras with me. Since you have already done the Alaska thing, Can I ask you a couple of questions?

1. You mentioned that I need to bring a chain. Did yours wear out? I was planning on bringing a spare piece of chain + master links and the appropriate tools with me.
2. I am planning to bring a set of tires with me. Do really need knobbies? I'm going in late June and was wondering if street tires would work OK.
3. I am kind of up in the air on the motel vs camping thing. I would rather camp and save money, but I HATE camping in the rain. Is it easy to find camping spots?

I have a ton of other questions, but at this point I am just going to wing most of the trip and enjoy myself.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #5196
MTG
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokey View Post
Thanks for the advise and the encouragement Lost Rider. I have been trying to get used to the seat on this thing since I got it. I just can't seem to get comfortable no matter what, hence the custom seat. After I get done with Alaska I'm going to drop down through Montana and run along the west slope of the Rockies to New Mexico before I head home. As that's a long time in the saddle I want to be comfortable as I can.

I know what you mean about not bringing everything I own along. I have been traveling on bikes for years and I bring less and less along every time I take a trip. I got the Jessies on a scratch and dent sale, so I had little choice as to the size. Now that I have them I like the extra space as I am taking my laptop and cameras with me. Since you have already done the Alaska thing, Can I ask you a couple of questions?

1. You mentioned that I need to bring a chain. Did yours wear out? I was planning on bringing a spare piece of chain + master links and the appropriate tools with me.
2. I am planning to bring a set of tires with me. Do really need knobbies? I'm going in late June and was wondering if street tires would work OK.
3. I am kind of up in the air on the motel vs camping thing. I would rather camp and save money, but I HATE camping in the rain. Is it easy to find camping spots?

I have a ton of other questions, but at this point I am just going to wing most of the trip and enjoy myself.
I cant speak for June. I went up in september. Lots of camping spots. In june I think it will be tight for camping spots and hotels all throughout AK. The reality is late June = 4th of July crowd! Not cool! I did it on a stock F800gs+ skid plate "highly recommend", crash bars, and a giant loop with an extra dry bag, and a seat cover from alaska leather. If i had the cash i would get a new seat. I would have liked a taller wind screen and a more dirt oriented tire. The stock tires dont inspire much confidence on the loose dirt/ gravel road. Awesome trip, cant wait to do it again.
MTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #5197
Lost Rider
Roadie

What MTG said!

I did the ride on TKC front, tourance rear. Bought a new front tire up there for big $$$$$
In retrospect, better traction is always….. better. But at least for me at the time, not needed. YYMV, I was lucky on the dempster.
My trip was not planned at all, was supposed to just go to montana and just kept heading north…. the bike wasn't as well prepared as could be.

As for chain, if you start out fresh you should have no problem, mine wasn't. It impossible to do good maintenance on the chain with all the wet slime from the roads….
Again YYMV depending on weather.

If you plan ahead, you don't need to carry tires…. I wouldn't unless absolutely needed for packing and good handling sake. Again, depends on where you're going….. It's mostly pavement, and a lot of it.
Planned ahead I would do a slightly more aggressive front tire, with normal DS tire in the rear, once I got up there I would pre arrange to have a fresh set of knobbiest waiting for me…. tires are cheaper than ER rooms…. BUt at least in my experience knobbbies not needed, but always welcome.
It's a long ways, too far for 1 set of any more aggressive tire, and no sense in burning up knobs on pavement.

Hotels are very expensive, camping spot are easily found, give yourself the option I say. On my trip I couldn't afford hotels at all, again YYMV.
Bring one of those thingies to cover your eyes like for a airplane if your'e camping….. it's bright out all the time up yonder and hard to get sleep in a tent.
The thing I learned most from the trip was what NOT TO DO, seeing so many people packed far to heavy and having a tough time when the roads got sloppy, seems like you know that already.

Sounds like you have it already figured out, good luck on the trip, it's a LONG WAYS!

My Alaska RR can be found somewhere in the middle of Roadie in Motion, also found in the RR links sticky in this forum.

Yep, just wing it, even though it's the last "frontier" and pretty far out there, there's still resources and plenty of kind folks to help. Best part of my trip was meeting the individuals along the way….

If you want any tracks, like the tour of idaho or continental divide route shoot me a pm, I know I COULDn"T WAIT to get back into the good ole' USA and have a choice of turning left or right after the long one road ride North…..

Cheers

Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 10:11 AM
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #5198
advman68
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Advman.se

Fast gravel on my GS 800 in middle of Sweden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhNE...c5AUAAAAAAAAAA
advman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #5199
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Hey Finn

According to your spot looks like you're headed north again?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #5200
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Hey Finn

According to your spot looks like you're headed north again?

Yep, where it's wet and green.

Wrong bike for this forum, but what the hell.
I like contrasts, and this is what I needed after Death Valley on the GS last week…. far more civilized.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 05:31 PM
Old 02-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #5201
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by advman68 View Post
Fast gravel on my GS 800 in middle of Sweden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhNE...c5AUAAAAAAAAAA

You guys are really moving, and your bike sounds great!

Looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks for sharing!

LostRider.com
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #5202
advman68
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
You guys are really moving, and your bike sounds great!

Looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, That was a good day in the wood!
You got to live your life between your legs ;-)

advman68 screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 10:19 AM
advman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #5203
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
I am happy to again be able to post in here....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #5204
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
I am happy to again be able to post in here....

Awesome!!!!!

Ben, that looks great. I really like the orange and black.

It's great to see the STB ghetto design improved on.

More like Darth Maul like you said...... so is this the DMB?

I'll save the questions for your thread.... lots of neat stuff on that beast.

Who's next?....

LostRider.com
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #5205
shemp9999
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Winter in Northern California

OK, winter hasn't really hit here yet.

Left SF Saturday morning and slogged up the 5 to Red Bluff. 36 was OK, but way overhyped. It's long, yes, and has some fun spots, but there's tons of better roads in the Bay Area you can ride in a day. Red Bluff to Fortuna was a three hour ride. Encountered snow on the ground in Shasta county. Stayed over in Arcata.

Rode home down the coast. Now that's a fun ride. There's hardly any cars out on Superbowl Sunday! I didn't see a single car between Legett and Ft. Bragg.

Avenue of the Giants:
shemp9999 is offline   Reply With Quote