ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 146 25.04%
No 151 25.90%
I have not but I want to! 291 49.91%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #556
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle-jockey
Instead of taking the left into the woods at the start of the trail off the dirt road, continue on the dirt road for about a mile or so.
You'll see a sign for RT. 138 on the left. Take that, go to the end. Take another left on RT. 138 and you'll go right by where the trail comes out.
Left on 165 and you're back on track. I do that route in the winter when it's frozen.
thanks, we might have to give that a try next time if we want to keep our feet dry .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #557
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,257
Another Great day

akarob and I had a great ride today !!
The day started off pretty rough for me, due to massive jelloshot consuption the previous evening at my nephews b-day party, mr. dumass left his helmet in the garage an hour a way. WTF

Luckily I contacted my Bro-in-law in West Greenwich, and we rode over there so I could borrow his. Phuckin moron, The first 20 miles were pretty slow. I probably shouldnt have even ridden out there, but I digress.

Once I got the lid, we had a great ride, the navigation system got a bit discombobulated a few times, but WTF ya gonna do, we had fun. I took a good digger crossing through some mud, I was motoring along fine, up on the pegs and riding it, and I just lost the front tire. Slid right out from under me, and off into the swamp I was heading. A good soak, and a bruise on the knee, and off I went.
There seemed to be a lot more mud this week, or maybe I havent ridden the whole route and seen it all yet.
We stayed dry until the last 10 miles or so, once it starts to rain, it starts to get slippery on those rocks, I think that help akarob pull a digger on the last mile, all that riding, then the last mile it gets ya.
all in all it was another great ride.

I dont know if this is the same spot as theothersean and guys got waterlogged, but it was a real hoot getting through here, akarob got bogged down in here a bit, sucked down into the mud but good.

Me last week

akarob this week !!

Sure hope I can get back there in a couple weeks.

or sooner

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #558
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,464
Yea, that rut is massively deep and narrow. The picture was taken after we started to get it unstuck. Just taking a breather. When a pig gets stuck in the mud, it's HARD to pull it out.

That mud hole in the top of the picture was bad too. I got through almost the whole thing and then the rear wheel simply dug itself a hole, I had to get off and yank it out.

Does anyone know if you can buy a winch that mounts to the triple trees?

That reminds me - we saw a Nissan pathfinder stuck in the mud - BAD. They did have a winch but that thing was in some deep mud.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #559
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob
When a pig gets stuck in the mud, it's HARD to pull it out.
And you WAS sunk in there good. If all I saw was the pictures, I wouldnt think it was that bad, but we both had to struggle with getting it out. We had to twist it and try to leverage it from the swing arm.

I chuckled pretty good when I noticed you going through it, After last week I KNEW it was gonna be a problem.
Beats staying at home and mowing the lawn, right !!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #560
akarob
Green Cantern

Well, here's what it looks like tonight... last ride through Pachaug left my forks a little tweaked and my headlight out. You can see there is no glass - left most of that on the trail when I hit it face first. I found out my tail light bulb was also broken and filled with mud. I'll be using silicone on that seal now.

I got the handlebar risers today. 14/48 gears, handlebars, fork brace and CRF fender on the way.

After I took the picture, I removed the silencer. Tomorrow, I'll take out the airbox and the rear suspension.

I'm going to need new tires soon. The rocks on the trails are chunking out the side knobs on my front tire. Can't wait for the after pictures.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #561
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob
last ride through Pachaug left my forks a little tweaked.
By tweaked, do you mean you think they are actually bent? Most of the time from a hit, they just shift. Loosen all the tripple clamp bolts relaxes them and they go back into place.

Nick

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #562
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

akarob, is it me, or is something missing !!

How are you feeling? You took a good biff there.
It took me a couple days to work it off, I was sore all over

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #563
akarob
Green Cantern

I was fine. I was glad I had on all that body armor on. The knee guard alone saved me weeks of limping.

Tonight, I'm digging deeper. Going to try to get the handlebars and the swingarm off. My bike will be an engine in a frame sitting on a stand.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #564
akarob
Green Cantern

I got after it again tonight. Everything is off. Air filter cleaned - it got muddy. Hopefully tomorrow I can regrease the suspension and wheel bearings and get it looking more like a bike again. I still have to take out that headlight too.

I don't know how this turned into my rebuild thread but I figured the guys I ride with might want to see.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #565
Nicetoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Good Luck!!! I look forward to doing a pachaug ride when your all back together!

Ian
Nicetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #566
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 810
Bluhduh

Got your message AKAROB and are you going to get that pig back together for the 2-state?

Looks like you guys had a great ride4 and Im jealous. This is the year my wife decided to go back to school to get another degree. We have 2 young children so my time is going to be very limited to ride this year. In fact, if anybody remembers, my wife went into labor last year whille I was riding Pachaug .
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #567
akarob
Green Cantern

I'd do it but I have plans to build something that weekend. It's a paying job so it needs to get done. I'll be back out on the 23rd.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #568
akarob
Green Cantern

Jeez - I had to resurrect this thread from the bottom of page 3 !!

I just wanted to check in and report that I got the scooter running again.

I did a few laps around the neighborhood, did a couple wheelies. It felt good dbut it's still no 600R. Now THAT bike had some snap!

Anyway here it is, better than ever.

The bark busters were tough to put on because the bars are "woods high bend" so they're about a bit narrower than normal. Had to drill a new hole in the hand guard and really smash the controls on there but I finally got it.

The CRF fender was no picnic either. I had to make spacers to allow room for the harness. Also had to trim the sides to make room for the fork protectors and had to trim the back because it was hitting the exhaust.

The new gears make it real easy to pop up the front wheel. That'll come in handy out in the woods - log crossings and obstacles.

The only thing I still have to do is get a new bulb for the tail light. I think they're pretty generic.

SO WHO'S DOING THE LOOP WITH ME ON SUNDAY THE 24th ???
Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #569
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I'm in. what time? 9 or 10....
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #570
akarob
Green Cantern

Let's do kickstands up at 10:00.

Get there early though - the parking lot gets busy sometimes. And don't forget the bug spray.

I'll have some more of the trail maps printed out for the gang.