ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 152 25.63%
No 155 26.14%
I have not but I want to! 291 49.07%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #616
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,301
Go/NO GO

Count me out, got the KLX back together, but just got home from the track, aint no way Im'a gonna be there at 8:30. Maybe 10, but who knows.
Maybe I will catch yous guys in a couple weeks, Next sunday I will be truckin up to Laconia for Bike Week. Now Theirs an adventure, having a KLX there within a sea of chromed V-twins and black leather

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #617
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
That's too bad since you missed a perfect day to ride out there. The conditions were pristine. There weren't that many bike out there either which kinda surprised me since it was so nice out. We were all done by 12:15. Rob and Doc set a nice mellow pace which ate up the miles since there were no getoffs. Well there was one or two but we won't talk about those. Right Toro? What happens out on the trail stays out on the trail.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #618
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,580
Well, that's only in Vegas. Toro was out for some more dualsporting and he did the first section of the loop ok. He went his own way. We ran into him again in the middle of the woods. He was pretty tired from struggling with that Beemer. I got the only picture of the day when Sparrow help him up a more technical part, 1+1 style. It was definately picture worthy. Toro, you do impressively well for riding the kind of bike you do. I just can't help think that you'ld do sooo much better on a DR or XR 250.

All in all, it was a great day. Noone got injured and the bikes ran great.

Oh yea, and the one we took for the Tag-o-Rama thread. Decent pic of the bikes.

akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #619
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Great day and great ride guys. The lack of bike traffic and noon finish time are the reason I LIKE early starts. Plus, you never know what kind of "adventure" you may find yourself in. Hope Toro made it home OK with the "temporary" clutch. Good job with the pics Rob, that had to be shared, it is a rare sight to see 2 up in the Pachaug rocks. We won't mention how Sparrow got back to his bike.
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #620
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

I was surprised how well the bike went up that hill with the 2 of us on it. We did smash the snot out of his under carriage though. Riding biatch without foot pegs sucks ass and I hope I never have to do it again. Thanks for lift Doc since walking all that way would have been much worse.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #621
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow
That's too bad since you missed a perfect day to ride out there. The conditions were pristine. There weren't that many bike out there either which kinda surprised me since it was so nice out. We were all done by 12:15. Rob and Doc set a nice mellow pace which ate up the miles since there were no getoffs. Well there was one or two but we won't talk about those. Right Toro? What happens out on the trail stays out on the trail.
I knew I was missing a good ride out there. It surprises me every time I am there how few people I see out there riding. I would expect it to be packed, buts its always lean.
Hey, if I still have the balls when I reach Toro's age, Im gonna do the loop !!

I didnt totally lose the day, meet a few buddys, we went down to Exeter, my friends family has about 1100 acre fahm we ride at, as a bonus there is a built in motorcross track with serious berms and tabletops, step ups, its amazing. We had a mix of ATV's, dual sports, and my nephew on his YZ 250

I dont want to Hijack this thread, but here are a few pictures from there.

This is at the campsite where there is a cabin and 2 brooks running beside

Some of the single track trails take a bit of work to stay on

We spent plenty of time on the track

Everyone wants to ride the KLX, its so plush to ride

We stopped at the pond so we could have a swim

Its all fun and games till someone goes ass-over-tea-kettle, then its hilarious!!!

Time to load up and go home already?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #622
akarob
Green Cantern

No shots of you clearing the table tops? Maybe next time.

I almost forgot...when Sparrow and I pulled into Mt Misery park, we took the first turn to the right and there was a guy towing a camper coming right at us - completely on our side of the road. We were only doing 20 but we both had to lock up the brakes as he swerved back onto his side of the road. It was pretty close. If we were speeding, we would have hit the camper for sure. We were both just shaking our heads, amazed how some people can just be so clueless.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #623
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

Oddometer: 70
A great day in Pachaug.

I think I need some hours on my bicycle or step machine. Note the Beemer "resting" and the great clutch fix -- Doc I think -- or Sparrow?
Checking the map at 08:30.

">

Toro One screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 01:08 PM
Toro One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #624
akarob
Green Cantern

Nice pics ! Forget the treadmill, your bike is just not a woods machine.

A lighter bike would do wonders for ya - I think an XR250 might be close to 300 pounds lighter. You should feel the difference the first time through the woop-de-doos. You have a sweet bike for sure but it's just more for dirt roads at the worst.

A bike like this would be great for you to do woods riding on. You just have to make sure you can get it plated.
http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/1211254845.html

Better yet, Honda's new dualsport CRF230L would do the job very well also. Just put knobbies on it and you're good to go. You could probably find a good deal on a gently used one.

Here's a shop by Penn Sate selling one for $3,500 - NEW! Road Trip?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-HONDA-CRF230L-NEW_W0QQitemZ160338886831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_mot orcycles?hash=item2554f140af&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317|240%3A1318

Remember - all bikes can get stuck - it's just easier to pull out the lighter ones.

akarob screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 01:36 PM
Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #625
jeel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow
There weren't that many bike out there either which kinda surprised me since it was so nice out.
NE Classic this weekend. I saw many CT riders on both Sat and Sun.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #626
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Good point. I forgot to factor that in. Still it was quiet out there.
Toro, Those were Doc's vise grips and your a madman for even trying to ride out there. That bike is really not made for those types of trails. Not nearly enough travel on the suspension and no where near enough ground clearance. I'd check your skid plate and swingarm for damage. Going as slow as we were just to get up that hill we bottomed out pretty bad at least twice.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #627
Toro One
Ancient FighterPilot

Oddometer: 70
Hi Sparrow, No damage, not even a dent, just a couple scratches, good stuff. Part way out I realized I should have cranked up the preload to handle the extra weight.
Toro One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #628
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,120
making it look like fun

You guys have me chomping at the bit........ I took my Dakar out to "the woods" two weekends ago and didn't see a soul (except for some kids who ran their blazer off into a bog and were stuck up to the axles - not sure how they got out!!) I really only went on some of the off-shoot trails off of the dirt Pachaug State Forrest Road at the end of Shetucket Trkp., but the bike held it's own ( I do have an ohlins and race tech emulators - so i am sure i am doing better than stock). I am having some mechanical issue right now that I can't seems to properly diagnosis so I unfortunately need to take it into the shop on Friday - but I need to get in on some of these Loop adventures!

Toro - where are you out of - we should do a big bike DS ride some time
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #629
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob
No shots of you clearing the table tops? Maybe next time.
Yea, sure, maybe next time.

I agree Toros bike aint made for some of the rougher trails out there, but.
It is what it is, eh? He owns it, he wants to ride off road, I say Hell ya, go for it. Just be safe. At least he rides in an area where others are riding and can assist him. He doesnt go fast enough to get hurt,
I didnt mind helping him lift it up, it is a heavy old pig, huh?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #630
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

The weather looks good for both days this weekend. Anyone going out either day? Having been out only 3 times I still don't know the route good enough to lead but will happily follow anyone who knows his way around.