ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 137 25.18%
No 143 26.29%
I have not but I want to! 269 49.45%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #7186
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
At the starting line is it engines off, then start and go? Electric start bikes do what? Push button? obviously???????
Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #7187
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,590
Engines off. Green flag goes vertical, thats your warning a few seconds later it goes horizontal start and GO! Which is what makes me so proud of my consistent top 5 starts. I gotta kick and get that little 200 screaming

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #7188
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
I was always a fan of the running start...

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #7189
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

I would be too exhausted to start my bike

Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #7190
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I would be too exhausted to start my bike

I was thinking the same thing ... and I have a magic button! Plus, my knees hurt when I try to sprint.

At one point during the race I dropped my bike doing about 20 mph on a straight away, hit the ground hard and smashed my visor. I go to pick the bike up and it wouldn't lift more than a foot off the ground. I couldn't figure wtf was holding it down, so I heave the bike up with all my might, it lifts about a foot, it snags, and I fall backwards, both feet getting pinned under the bike with me laying over the trail. With my feet trapped under the bike I couldn't stand to get out of the way. I started to panic. I finally worked my legs free but the bike was still pinned to the ground so I pulled the clutch lever in, started the bike with the magic button and popped the clutch (all with the bike on it's side). The bike broke free from whatever was holding it to the ground but it was now laying right over the trail. I wrestled it upright and took off down the trail again after being passed by at least three riders. And wouldn't you know it, not even 50 yards down the trail there was a line of spectators witnessing the whole thing, and a guy with a professional looking camera snapping photos as I went by. After that fiasco I was so exhausted I thought my heart was going to explode but all I could think of was "I hope the camera man doesn't have a telephoto lens on that thing".

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #7191
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
I was always a fan of the running start...

I think that's called a LeMans start. I've been in races that used that method. Back in the 70's before the gates they have now for MX we used to have flag starts engine running with our clutch hands on our heads. funny how everyone starts to lean left as the guy is about to throw the flag.

Ah, two-stroke fans will love the clouds of blue smoke. Starts at ADITD are all live engine, in neutral, and the clutch hand on the helmet, while waiting for the green flag to wave. Credit: GuyB

The craziest start I ever was in was a HS at the Wrentham School in the 80's. 350 bikes, dead engine and they fired a shotgun. That many bikes starting at once was mental!!!!

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 01:56 PM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #7192
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
I was thinking the same thing ... and I have a magic button! Plus, my knees hurt when I try to sprint.

At one point during the race I dropped my bike doing about 20 mph on a straight away, hit the ground hard and smashed my visor. I go to pick the bike up and it wouldn't lift more than a foot off the ground. I couldn't figure wtf was holding it down, so I heave the bike up with all my might, it lifts about a foot, it snags, and I fall backwards, both feet getting pinned under the bike with me laying over the trail. With my feet trapped under the bike I couldn't stand to get out of the way. I started to panic. I finally worked my legs free but the bike was still pinned to the ground so I pulled the clutch lever in, started the bike with the magic button and popped the clutch (all with the bike on it's side). The bike broke free from whatever was holding it to the ground but it was now laying right over the trail. I wrestled it upright and took off down the trail again after being passed by at least three riders. And wouldn't you know it, not even 50 yards down the trail there was a line of spectators witnessing the whole thing, and a guy with a professional looking camera snapping photos as I went by. After that fiasco I was so exhausted I thought my heart was going to explode but all I could think of was "I hope the camera man doesn't have a telephoto lens on that thing".
Yeah I know that feeling, heres an excerpt from my post on the robert leyden memorial.

Quote:
Like an idiot Im looking down watching what rocks not to hit and did not notice someone had taken out the yellow tape showing where to turn out of the river I am now 20 feet past the turn and nothing but steep banks. I have to turn the bike around and head back. Now my angle is wrong to get up the embankment and over I go. The next minute is coming and I'm trying to get the bike up and back on the trail. The whole time some little kid is screaming "hey dad we got one down over here, hey dad this guys stuck, hey dad the bikes on top of him, hey dad he slipped again , hey dad he causing a pile up" I swear if I could of grabbed him I would have drowned the little bastard. Needing to get away from him I leaned the bike up against the bank and then just flipped it over onto the trail...facing the wrong way of course Scramble up the bank and get it turned around.. Im back in the race, but exhausted.
But at least I didnt have Art taking pictures.. I cant wait to see if he posts them over at Netraphotos

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #7193
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Quote:
Yeah I know that feeling, heres an excerpt from my post on the robert leyden memorial.

But at least I didnt have Art taking pictures.. I cant wait to see if he posts them over at Netraphotos
LOL. The adversity is the adventure! I sure hope it wasn't Art.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #7194
dirty joe

Oddometer: 141
I still suck

I did scramble 2 things
I suck more than ever
Thad cheats
dirty joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #7195
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty joe View Post
I did scramble 2 things
I suck more than ever
Thad cheats
You shoulda seen him kicking that kid on the kx80 a couple years ago!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #7196
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,143
...as if you really need the clutch to put it in gear. Stomp and go.

Cool picture though, there are at least a few CR500s in the shot.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #7197
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty joe View Post
I did scramble 2 things
I suck more than ever
Thad cheats

That's not cheating! I call it strategic trail placement of a riding buddy. Maybe next time you won't bring a trials tire to a mud fight!

Besides, I had two objectives that day:

Primary: stay ahead of dirty joe
Secondary: beat all the women to the finish line

I only succeeded at the primary.

Darius on Dirt
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #7198
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel;19679081
[B
Secondary: [/B]beat all the women to the finish line

I only succeeded at the primary.

Yeah, I hear ya on that one...

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #7199
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya on that one...

That's awesome! You do realize that she lapped you?

Darius on Dirt
Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #7200
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Why do you think i was grumbling so much?