ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 152 25.63%
No 155 26.14%
I have not but I want to! 291 49.07%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 593. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #7651
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Ducati MonoPosto subframe (single seat) is only 4 lbs lighter than a BiPosto (2 seater) and the Mono is made of Aluminum while BiPosto is steel,

If both E and S subbies are steel there might not even be a pound difference
both are aluminum... which makes the diff even less.. just passing on what I read over at TT when I was still looking at luggage options for my E model.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7652
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,579
More fun pictures.

Rear wheel all greased up, tightened up. New chain, etc.

Front is off. Steering bearings look good, not dry. I'm not sure if I'll replace them anyway or not.

Still waiting for the subframe, rear fender and related parts to arrive.

I'll probably change out the fork oil now too. I can't believe I have 40 hours on it already.

Plastics will get washed and polished.

Pretty soon, I'll get into the motor to upgrade oil pump gears, water pump seal, and fix the e-start.

I'm still planning on a new piston & rings too.

akarob screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:53 PM
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #7653
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post

I'll probably change out the fork oil now too. I can't believe I have 40 hours on it already.

You find yourself sticking with the same weight fork oil, or experimenting with viscosity to fine tune the ride?

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #7654
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Set the points and timing today, 0.35 mm point gap and 0.071 in BTDC, been a while since I did anything like it!
Still waiting for a crank seal,started working on fork seals: for a 42 year old bike this fork is too complicated! Had to unscrew the top part of the lower fork tube to get the seal out, pretty sure it had gear oil in it, thick as molasses!

MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #7655
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
You find yourself sticking with the same weight fork oil, or experimenting with viscosity to fine tune the ride?

Most fork oil is 5, 10 or 20.weight. I've seen evidence (on the internet) that the viscosity can vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer though. If you are really trying to dial it in, you need look at a chart like this and go my measured viscosity. http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html

It's recommended that you change the fork oil every 20 hours on a dirtbike. Dirt gets pushed past the seals and contaminates the oil quickly. To answer your question, I don't worry about the weight of the oil until there's a problem. I'd suggest starting with a 10wt and go from there. The last oil I bought was BelRay. I just with it didn't cost $15/qt. Does anyone use anything less expensive in their forks? From the chart above, it looks like Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is between Bel-Ray 10wt and 15wt oil, and a lot cheaper I'm sure.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #7656
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Rob, fork oils I used in the past usually have been consistent, perhaps slight variations but not enough to notice. Few things I want to point out

Quote:
I've seen evidence (on the internet).
C'mon, I have seen evidence of Bigfoot and Martians

Quote:
I'd suggest starting with a 10wt and go from there
I suggest starting with whatever your owner manual says, it will vary depending on the fork construction

Quote:
it looks like Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is between Bel-Ray 10wt and 15wt oil, and a lot cheaper I'm sure.
Yes, might be cheaper but will cost you more in the long run when you are replacing worn out bushings, fork oil is specially formulated for the task, just like motor oil, just like shock fluid which is almost same as fork oil, but it's not...

I use Honda stuff or Bellray or Slikolene... no real preference, Just got some Ohlins oil for the Aprilia, talking about expensive, AF1 is charging $30/qt, (no I didn't pay that!)

Want something in 15W range pick up "Showa Type E" from your local "Douche Marina" (Harley Davidson shop) it's good oil for damper style fork, too heavy for cartridge type, for those I use 5W or 10W.

I'm not sure what to look for in a dirt suspension, all of my experience is On-Road, but you are that in-tune with it and want to fine-tune it you can blend different weight oils so achieve in-between numbers, like mixing half-and-half 5W and 10W will get you 7.5W
Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #7657
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Fork oil

I just went through the same thing, my forks had Bell Ray 5wt oil in them, I blew a fork seal and could not find Bell Ray in stock in my area so I used some Maxima fork oil 5wt instead, and changed both forks. Well they are defiantly softer then the Bell Ray.
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #7658
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

when you replaced fork oil did you measure the volume or set the level? If by level, did you bleed the cartridge?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #7659
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I'm kind of into suspension stuff, so I did the whole thing, broke them down, cleaned them and refilled them, I set the level at 170mm from the top, springs out, tube fully compressed, I do my own rear shock also.
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #7660
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Anyone willing to help me with my gas gas forks.there way to stiff for me.any way of changing oil without taking them off bike?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #7661
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Anyone willing to help me with my gas gas forks.there way to stiff for me.any way of changing oil without taking them off bike?

taking the forks off is only 8 bolts and a brake bleed more then removing the front wheel.
so don't let that stop you.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #7662
akarob
Green Cantern

He could always just turn his bike upside down.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #7663
gpj530
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
He could always just turn his bike upside down.
LMAO
gpj530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #7664
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post

Yes, siphon it, but why not take them off and do it proper?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #7665
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post
taking the forks off is only 8 bolts and a brake bleed more then removing the front wheel.
so don't let that stop you.
Why would you bleed brakes? caliper just unbolts and you let it hang...