ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 151 25.51%
No 155 26.18%
I have not but I want to! 291 49.16%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #7861
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,518
I called the Mass DEP about it, and they weren't any help. Next, I called the Webster town PD and ask. They basically said you're not supposed to do that. I don't want any trouble, and the laws up there are vague at best on the subject. I'll avoid the MA State waters. I know CT isnt nearly as strict as long as its not a reservior.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #7862
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
If any of you guys knows a guy looking for a plated wr450 let me know. This one is not mine so it's in great shape.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7863
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
It doesn't look like I'm going to the Snow Run, but I could be up for some lake ike riding. If anyone is interested in some tailgating and general goofing around on a lake somewhere, let me know. By this weekend, all the ice should be good to go. I was thinking Webster Lake, but Coventry, Gardner or Lake Pocotopaug would be options too.
I live on Johnson's Pond if you need a spot to park and get on the ice. It's not frozen at the moment, though.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #7864
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Be careful. Webster Lake is in MA and would require the MA ORV sticker on your bike.
I think MA requires a sticker for ANY off road riding, I'm gonna get one sooner or later so I can ride trails in Freetown, we had to stick to roads for now.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #7865
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I think MA requires a sticker for ANY off road riding, I'm gonna get one sooner or later so I can ride trails in Freetown, we had to stick to roads for now.
I believe they only require stickers for certain named areas.. In fact I know that is the case because when Cheese, Lil, TMlee, the Trips and I camped up in MA we had routes we specifically laid out routes that avoided any riding that required stickers.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #7866
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
I live on Johnson's Pond if you need a spot to park and get on the ice. It's not frozen at the moment, though.
Thanks, but I have a couple lakes in mind in CT. Pop and I used to iceboat on the bigger lakes when I was younger. DN class. Bikes should be out in the middle, so people living on shore aren't disturbed too much. Also away from most of the ice fisherman. Everyone kind of claims an area to use. I'll be prepared to drag my campstove and stuff way out on the ice to cook out there if there's not too much wind.

akarob screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:41 PM
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #7867
akarob
Green Cantern

Great, so now I want a minivan and a small toy hauler.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #7868
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I believe they only require stickers for certain named areas.. In fact I know that is the case because when Cheese, Lil, TMlee, the Trips and I camped up in MA we had routes we specifically laid out routes that avoided any riding that required stickers.
I've been heavily involved in this for a couple years now as a member of NETRA's BOD's. The only place you can operate without a sticker is on what is known as Chapter 90 roads.(with a street plate) Private property even requires a sticker. Until we just succeeded in getting a few changes passed, even motorcycles on a motocross track were required to have a sticker and racers under 18 were supposed to have passed a safety course. As it now reads, racers, if they are from out of state are exempt but in state bikes still have to get a sticker.

If you were up in W/MA and following the Berkshire Big Adventure route from last year, you were OK, because everything we used was a Chapter 90 road.
The specific named area you mention is Massachusetts. The only exempt areas are roads.

I don't mind if you don't want to get a sticker and ride anyway, I just want you guys to be aware of the potential consequences. In Tolland/Granville the local PD's are teaming up with the Enviro Cops to hand out $250 fines for riding w/o the reg. If you are on private property without permission they have been known to give out an extra $250 fine for trespass.

As far as not being able to ride a bike on Webster Lake, that seems wrong, if they are allowing snowmobiles on with the same registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post

MATPOC is correct here if you want to be legal.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:49 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #7869
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Rob if you want a padlock combo to get onto Pocotopaug this weekend- shoot me a message or a text. My dad owns property = beach/lake rights. No public access unless you are EHampton (ecrane ) resident

There will be plenty of sleds out there this weekend, Im sure. No worry about noise these people are used to heavy boat traffic from 9a-9p in the summer
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #7870
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I've been heavily involved in this for a couple years now as a member of NETRA's BOD's. The only place you can operate without a sticker is on what is known as Chapter 90 roads.(with a street plate) Private property even requires a sticker. Until we just succeeded in getting a few changes passed, even motorcycles on a motocross track were required to have a sticker and racers under 18 were supposed to have passed a safety course. As it now reads, racers, if they are from out of state are exempt but in state bikes still have to get a sticker.

If you were up in W/MA and following the Berkshire Big Adventure route from last year, you were OK, because everything we used was a Chapter 90 road.
The specific named area you mention is Massachusetts. The only exempt areas are roads.

I don't mind if you don't want to get a sticker and ride anyway, I just want you guys to be aware of the potential consequences. In Tolland/Granville the local PD's are teaming up with the Enviro Cops to hand out $250 fines for riding w/o the reg. If you are on private property without permission they have been known to give out an extra $250 fine for trespass.

As far as not being able to ride a bike on Webster Lake, that seems wrong, if they are allowing snowmobiles on with the same registration.

MATPOC is correct here if you want to be legal.

I guess my comment would have fit better over in the big bike thread, as opposed to the "trail" thread .. The route we planned was all on dirt roads. I called the DEP or whatever MA calls it up in Fall River to make sure we werent breaking any laws on the roads we were going to be on, and that we would not need a sticker.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #7871
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,109
not passing judgment on sticker or no sticker - but putting this out there for the greater wisdom of the OPTT (official pachaug trail thread):

This past year I got the MA OHV sticker from the Fall River DEP office. It was a very easy process with no wait. I went during the middle of the day on a weekday and was taken care of in about 15 minutes. First you take your registration over to the tax office (across the hall from DEP office) and get a tax receipt (or waiver if out of state). Take that form, OHV registration form and $35 (If I remember correctly) to the DEP office back across the hall and they give you a sticker. No fuss no muss. Worth it if you are going to be riding anywhere off road in MA in my opinion - even if you are poaching - if you can convince the officer that you are at least giving the state their cut and trying to play by the "rules" PO might not impound your ride.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #7872
swathman
wood tick

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
If any of you guys knows a guy looking for a plated wr450 let me know. This one is not mine so it's in great shape.
As luck would have it, I good friend of mine just asked me to keep an eye out for a bike that could be plated... He recently sold his YZ450 and is now bikeless...
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #7873
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
It's a good bike.
sparrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #7874
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Who is doing the snow run enduro this weekend ?Is it worth going to watch?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #7875
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Who is doing the snow run enduro this weekend ?Is it worth going to watch?
I was going to, but Im sick.