ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.17%
No 151 26.22%
I have not but I want to! 285 49.48%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #8416
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,723
I grew up riding snowmobiles in Wisconsin. Some of the most fun times of my life were experienced on them. The year I bought my first new snowmobile it stopped snowing down where I lived and we had to travel 5 hours upstate in order to ride. Then I got married and had to sell the snowmobile...the fun times went away quickly after that.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt

DariusFriedel screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 02:34 PM
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #8417
swathman
wood tick

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel View Post
Dirty Joe kicking ass at the Spring Challenge Harescramble on Sunday.

Does anyone know the rider who suffered a heart attack during the event? The news article erroneously refers to the event as "Motocross" and has a clear negative bias in my opinion... I'm more concerned for all involved and the dirt bike community in general...

Great photo by the way!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #8418
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by swathman View Post
Does anyone know the rider who suffered a heart attack during the event? The news article erroneously refers to the event as "Motocross" and has a clear negative bias in my opinion... I'm more concerned for all involved and the dirt bike community in general...

Great photo by the way!
Photo is by Art from Netraphotos.com

I didn't know the rider but I remember seeing this picture him posted up on NEDB last year...

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #8419
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:

Joe needs to start wearing goggles!or he will be Mr. Magoo soon!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #8420
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Thanks Ed, I got sick of the pain in my shoulder and had it taken care of rotator cuff and torn bicep tendon.

Redbeard, twenty years ago I could get away with that but not now. It freaks me out bad!

Too bad about the dude, hope he's alright, looks familiar.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #8421
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Berkshire Trail Riders has a blurb on their facebook page that reads.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Ruffo family durring this incredibly difficult time. John will be greatly missed by all who him and we hope you will also keep his family in your thoughts & prayers as well."

I dont know if that is the gentleman that passed away on the ride or not ?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #8422
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,364
My sincere condolences go out to his family. They should be assured that he passed doing what he truly loved. I certainly hope that if a heart attack is in my future, it won't be doing something like shoveling snow.

The only thing I can think to take from this for personal motivation, is that we should all take our fitness level seriously. I've started using an elliptical machine daily and plan to incorporate bicycle riding into my life again. It's been about 10 years since I've been active at that , and I miss it. Tragedies like this can happen to even to most physically fit, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be in SOME kind of physical shape - not to say he wasn't, I have no idea.

If (God forbid) any of you find me in the same condition someday, I can honestly say there are no regrets. Riding with you guys is a life-enriching experience.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #8423
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
My sincere condolences go out to his family. They should be assured that he passed doing what he truly loved. I certainly hope that if a heart attack is in my future, it won't be doing something like shoveling snow.

The only thing I can think to take from this for personal motivation, is that we should all take our fitness level seriously. I've started using an elliptical machine daily and plan to incorporate bicycle riding into my life again. It's been about 10 years since I've been active at that , and I miss it. Tragedies like this can happen to even to most physically fit, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be in SOME kind of physical shape - not to say he wasn't, I have no idea.

If (God forbid) any of you find me in the same condition someday, I can honestly say there are no regrets. Riding with you guys is a life-enriching experience.
Well said Brother, I myself am down 30 lbs since last fall and am continuing until I look like John A! Kidding, hey where is he anyway?
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #8424
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I was talking with one of Sunday's competitors today and learned there was also a rider who experienced a spinal compression fracture along with some ribs..
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #8425
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
First off my condolences to the family.

With that said nothing burns my ass more than carp like this at the end of the article

Quote:
Michael Westgate Jr., 15, of Lakeville died in June 2001 riding his 4-wheel all-terrain vehicle along an off-limits trail off Route 140, according to Standard-Times archives.
Again my heart goes out, don't get me wrong, but to put that into the article is just fucking bullshit. they may have as well added that to my fathers obituary because it has about the same in common..fucking douche bag newspapers
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #8426
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post

In 1997 i quit smoking (cigabutts) and said I dont care if I gain 50 pounds, as long as I dont smoke. In 2009 i was at 251 pounds. I decided I cant be both fat AND ugly, so i started the south beach diet, as well as buying a lightweight bicycle. My elliptical is getting more miles then any of my power toys these days. Plus yoga once or twice a week for core strengthening. I got on the scale sunday morning, imagine how good it felt to see 199!!
Time for a prescription from Capt. Red!! For cold pizza of course

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #8427
Irideeverything
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
In 1997 i quit smoking (cigabutts) and said I dont care if I gain 50 pounds, as long as I dont smoke. In 2009 i was at 251 pounds. I decided I cant be both fat AND ugly, so i started the south beach diet, as well as buying a lightweight bicycle. My elliptical is getting more miles then any of my power toys these days. Plus yoga once or twice a week for core strengthening. I got on the scale sunday morning, imagine how good it felt to see 199!!
Time for a prescription from Capt. Red!! For cold pizza of course
Congrats on the 199!!!

I can honestly say I know the feeling. Treat yourself once and a while but maintain that sub 200 number and you will enjoy life much better without the extra 50 pounds. Your knees will thank you for it as well.....
Irideeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #8428
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Oddometer: 693
Riding this Saturday. 100% chance I'll be there. Spaulding Rd. Lot for a 10am takeoff.

I'll have my papers in order just in case the fun suckers are out :^)
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
TURNERSVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #8429
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNERSVILLE View Post
Riding this Saturday. 100% chance I'll be there. Spaulding Rd. Lot for a 10am takeoff.

I'll have my papers in order just in case the fun suckers are out :^)
Wish I could.my turn to be on call for work. '
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #8430
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
Quote:

Just noticed the mangled license plate flooping around by the rear tire
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote