ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.17%
No 151 26.22%
I have not but I want to! 285 49.48%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #8461
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,374
You need to be registered, so you're all set there. By far, the majority of the loop is on unmaintained dirt roads and semi-maintained dirt park roads. That is connected by about 15 miles of street. There is very very little riding that is actual single track and not a GPS defined road. Also worth noting is the fact that it is virtually impossible to navigate by yourself the first time. You'll find parts of it, but you will get lost and not know where to get back on it. It still makes for a decent day of riding though.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #8462
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by crfingnutz View Post
Hey guys im new to the forum and was wondering when Pachaug trails open. I thought it says may but it seems like some are riding there already? What do I need to ride there, my bike is a drz 400 dualsport registered and insured in NY. What about thomaston dam? Thank you for any and all help.
Thomaston Dam is a well-trodden set of arcs off of a core access road. Some tough sections, but most are fairly easy to navigate; almost impossible to get lost. Need to be street registered. The rangers closed it during severe rains last year,and when sloshy so check first. If you go there alone, someone will likely come along soon if stuck. Not so much at Pachaug.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #8463
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
Thomaston Dam is a well-trodden set of arcs off of a core access road. Some tough sections, but most are fairly easy to navigate; almost impossible to get lost. Need to be street registered. The rangers closed it during severe rains last year,and when sloshy so check first. If you go there alone, someone will likely come along soon if stuck. Not so much at Pachaug.
Thomaston dam you can ride with ATV plate.some state plates are not good at either place but I do believe New York is OK.I think dam is suppose to open may 5th.check web site.last year didn't open till very late.patchuag has been open year round http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missio...mastonDam.aspx
http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325068
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #8464
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,397
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #8465
akarob
Green Cantern

The puddles are sure filling up good today.... absolutely downpouring here. I'm looking forward to a muddy first run at the loop this season.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #8466
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
The puddles are sure filling up good today.... absolutely downpouring here. I'm looking forward to a muddy first run at the loop this season.
Sunny skies in Providence
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #8467
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,462
Quote:
Clear and breezy in Groton.

Nope. Not anymore.

Twilight Error screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 01:31 PM
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #8468
gpj530
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

Oh thats great news....It was up to my waist ....Now it's going to be up to my neck....I need a boat in that place
gpj530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8469
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpj530 View Post
Oh thats great news....It was up to my waist ....Now it's going to be up to my neck....I need a boat in that place
Bring a snorkel .
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #8470
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Oddometer: 696
Snow

So Ed and I decided to do a local ride this past Saturday and to our surprise there was snow covering at least 5 miles of trails. Some parts were 6+ inches deep. The funny part was that most if not all of the snow was just on the trails.

The trails are below ground level (streams etc.) so we are guessing snow drifted and in there and is taking longer to melt. Was a pain in some parts but when you rode along side of the snow dust kicked up. Fucking Connecticut.

1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
TURNERSVILLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #8471
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 803
The Sandy Lane trophies are in.. I have Ed C's, Thad's and Roger's..Send me your addreses or wait tillthe nxt Rambler meeting or ?.. Man are they uglyish imo... but they are certainly big! I'll post a bigger pic later....

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #8472
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
. That is connected by about 15 miles of street. .
You really think that there is 15 miles out there? I've never had an odometer so I can't dispute it but 15 does seem high to me.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #8473
craftyboy
Ed

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNERSVILLE View Post
So Ed and I decided to do a local ride this past Saturday and to our surprise there was snow covering at least 5 miles of trails. Some parts were 6+ inches deep. The funny part was that most if not all of the snow was just on the trails.

The trails are below ground level (streams etc.) so we are guessing snow drifted and in there and is taking longer to melt. Was a pain in some parts but when you rode along side of the snow dust kicked up. Fucking Connecticut.
Was fun to get out there. Spooked myself a couple times turning a corner from fast dry trail into deep snow. Thanks for posting.

@Sledstorm1 pm sent

edcrane.com
craftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #8474
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
You really think that there is 15 miles out there? I've never had an odometer so I can't dispute it but 15 does seem high to me.
Yes, I think 15 miles is pretty accurate. The first section of road from Hell Hollow Rd, across 49 and into the woods again, is 2.6 miles. The next section from behind Beach Pond to Pachaug trail entrance is 3 miles. From Sand Hill Road to Wyassup Lake is 8.5 miles. That's 14 right there.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #8475
V8
Nightrider

Oddometer: 9,059
ATV plates at Thomaston ( CT. ONLY )
Street plates from any State are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Thomaston dam you can ride with ATV plate.some state plates are not good at either place but I do believe New York is OK.I think dam is suppose to open may 5th.check web site.last year didn't open till very late.patchuag has been open year round http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missio...mastonDam.aspx
http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325068
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote