ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 145 25.04%
No 151 26.08%
I have not but I want to! 288 49.74%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #76
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNERSVILLE
Cool...See you guys then.
Can't come tomorrow!!!!....Have a bolt that houses an oil filter screen get cross threaded in the engine block. Having a mechanic try to get it out/re-threaded. Won't be ready until next Wednesday because of the long weekend. Sorry guys.
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
TURNERSVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #77
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,026
ok, I am still in. Sucks about the bike:(
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #78
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 548
A friend and I can ride Pachaug on Sat. I've been watching this thread for a while and the timing is always a little off for me to make it. Glad to hear the markers are up since this will be our first trip out there. Sure would be nice to go with someone who's done the loop before though. We keep a nice steady pace. Hint...Hint...Hint......
CallMeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #79
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Cool, we can always use more riders. I am coming up on some weekends off, so I'll try and schedule a ride there soon on either saturdays or sundays.

I'll still be there tomorrow....
Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #80
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 548
Sounds good to me. I'll keep an eye out for next time.
Have a safe ride.
CallMeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #81
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

FYI for tomorrow....

White GMC truck with blue wr250f....

John
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #82
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
FYI for tomorrow....

White GMC truck with blue wr250f....

John
Let us know how the ride went....
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #83
BuckRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Bumpy

Hi John, Thanks for hooking up with me today.

Riding conditions were great. Had too much fun to take pictures, sorry - but too bad jbunceiii didn't have a helmet cam today...

I unfortunatley poisoned my houshold last night (including myself) with a very delicious pork dinner. While everyone suffered last night, my system decided to wait till during the day to start acting up. We bailed after the powerlines, so we missed the last 10 miles (which I have done several times).

It was nice to see the trail markers. I definately had been missing a few of the trails before. I should now have a complete and proper GPS track to map out all of this loop. For those reading, some of the trail (route) is still marked with very old Dark Blue arrows, and there are still a few turns that are not marked, or have old faded arrows (some shot up) that are very difficult to see.

For those of you who didn't make it today you missed a rare feat. Although I am by no means a good rider, I usually don't crash too often or at all (other than running over small trees when I careen off course ); however today I slammed by tender bits against my GPS and Route Sheet holder - yup you read that right, after my front end stopped in a hole in the Green Falls water crossing. Tried to power through the last few rocks in the middle and got stopped in my tracks at 10+ mph. Although I didn't go down, I had to drop my bike and hop off in the water because I sure felt like I was going to hurl . Luckily water levels were low, and the bike kept running.

I also managed to ride backwards for 50 feet or so at 25+ mph after cresting a hill with the tires off the ground and hit a spot of greasy mud residue that instantly spun me around in third gear. Luckily I was able to ride it to a grinding halt, but worked up a few good bumps, bruises and a weird abrasion on the inside of my forearm .

Anyway, we stopped for lunch at the typical spot, downed some drink and a small sandwich. Saw some hot nurses (from which I could have used some help from by that point - thanks for ignoring us). Oh, and we meet a guy and gal on their Harley at the gas station. They asked where we were riding. We told them by description what the loop was about. Male rider says - "oh, you're riding in Pachaug - oh man, no rocks there - eh?" Started up his bike a rode away happy as a clam.

We got the double drive by from DEP Conservation Police in Pachaug after I stopped to use the facilities there. We waived the first time, and seemed happy, but turned around and came back slowly.....

Took a call from a client on the old powerlines during a quick break - and then my stomach turned sour. Started getting a little crampy too, so I made a safety decision to bail at the end of the section. It was only 6 miles back to the start by road - but nothing is worst than riding a KTM seat on the road - unless you're following on a WR's seat .

Although I was sweating, it was really nice temps and weather for riding.

Current Rides:
F650GS Dakar
400 EXC

BuckRider screwed with this post 08-30-2008 at 08:07 AM
BuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #84
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Quote:
Cool, we can always use more riders. I am coming up on some weekends off, so I'll try and schedule a ride there soon on either saturdays or sundays.

I'll still be there tomorrow....
Let me/us know when you can take a weekend day off again. I haven't ridden the complete Pachaug loop in over a month and I really need to get some time on my new suspension. Sorry again for having to bail last second but I can't ride with a bunk oil bolt.
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #85
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRider

We got the double drive by from DEP Conservation Police in Pachaug after I stopped to use the facilities there. We waived the first time, and seemed happy, but turned around and came back slowly.....
They were checking to see the "DOT" label on your tires with their super X-RAY goggles!! I hope your story keeps away the unregistered bikes from ruining all of our fun.
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER

TURNERSVILLE screwed with this post 08-30-2008 at 09:23 AM
Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #86
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

It was a pretty good ride. I got stuck in the same spot during the hero section for the second time. I have to find a better way up the rocky steps. I didn't fall either which was good:)

A few of the woops caught me off guard and almost went over the handle bars. Ass/feet in the air.... griping the bars with all my might trying to stay on.

My rear suspension still seems to be light, not giving a plated feeling. I need to work on that and get it set up right.

We were actually making good time on the GPS with an average speed of 21 mph.

On yea...that hot nurse...works at Lawrence and Memorial hospital in the ER.....evening shift. So if you are going to crash, do so in the evening and in New London county:)
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #87
BuckRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
John, I honestly think your chain is too tight and may be part/all of the reason why you were having troubles on those whoops. When the chain tightens up that early in the compression stroke it is going to act like a spring and make the back end bounce up and down - and it will never fully compress. Forget what the OEM says about chain adjustments.

I would loosen up your chain significantly, back off on all your rear shock pre-load then go ride some whoops and a few jumps. You should be able to bottom out the rear end (you should feel/hear the rear tire grinding away the inside of your fender).

You can also adjust your dampening at the same time so you get smooth action (and no pogo-ing).

There are a few good guides online to help set up your sag and all that.

At the very least, remove the top or bottom bolt of your shock so you can bottom out your rear wheel to the chassis and then set the chain tightness. Use this as your guide for future adjustments. I suspect you'll see the chain needs to look pretty loose on a dirtbike compared to a streetbike. The further forward the countershaft (output) sprocket is to the swingarm pivot - the looser your chain needs to be in relation to total travel.

My GPS shows we did 59.7 miles in 2 hr 54 min - avg moving speed 20.5 mph. I make it a point to not speed on the roads too, so that average is respectable. Total average speed was 15.2 with stops and crashes! Not too shabby either.

All right, I think I need to go to the hospital tonight. A few of my lumps are starting to swell up.....

Current Rides:
F650GS Dakar
400 EXC
BuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #88
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

I think its time for a new chain anyways. It's kinked and it's at the limit of adjustment, stretched out.

I did see that the rubber chain guard was worn out. I ordered a new one, $38 from bikebandit.com. Hopefully it gers here this week. It goes in the lower chain guard.

I have some free weekends coming up after the Indy Motogp, so I'll try to schedule a ride when I get back. I could do this Sunday if I get the chain guard by Saturday.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #89
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Quote:
I think its time for a new chain anyways. It's kinked and it's at the limit of adjustment, stretched out.

I did see that the rubber chain guard was worn out. I ordered a new one, $38 from bikebandit.com. Hopefully it gers here this week. It goes in the lower chain guard.

I have some free weekends coming up after the Indy Motogp, so I'll try to schedule a ride when I get back. I could do this Sunday if I get the chain guard by Saturday.
I'm down for a Sunday the 7th...is that what you meant?
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #90
leonphelps OP
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Yes, Sunday the 7th....if I get my chain guard in....fingers crossed!