ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 153 25.67%
No 156 26.17%
I have not but I want to! 293 49.16%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #1186
TURNERSVILLE
Have Time to Ride

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee8989
I had originally planned on riding tomorrow, but after todays ride.... I NEED BETTER TIRES!! This was the first time I had the Kendas in the mudd and I think a banana peel has better traction. I think TURNERSVILLE got it on video of me Demonstrating them in the mudd........... and the results .

I just order some michelin M12s. Yeah they are off-road only but the kendas are going to get me hurt.

so no serious off-roading for me in the mudd untill I mount the new tires.
You forgot to mention this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ohmtcOjkw
1984 KTM 125 GS - Stolen
PULSE OXIMETER
TURNERSVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #1187
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo
Thanks I've ridden rocks mud and the whole bit, but I will stay away on the 950 for now. Any other recommendations to do some dual sporting? I am new to this area (based in Greenwich CT, coming from Mexico).
I'd say go to Netra.org and look at the schedule for dual-sport rides in the area as a first start. That's how I found out about Pachaug. Before someone put me on to netra, I didn't even know there were legal places to ride in the area outside of Thomaston Dam and I've lived here for 20 years.

I did the Berkshire dual-sport run last year and there were quite a few KTM 950's, V-Stroms, and BMW 1200's...same with the Pilgrim Sands run I did toward the end of the year. Below is the schedule.

http://netra.org/public/schedule/17

Anyway, sounds like a few of us are doing the Hoot Owl run on 5/2 so maybe join us on that. It's not a short ride to get there from Greenwich, especially if you are riding the bike up, doing the event and then riding home after. It's both a dual-sport and turkey run event. The dual-sport trails are typically longer than the turkey runs and geared toward the larger bikes. There are usually hero sections on the dual-sport runs and you find a lot of the larger bikes peppered along these sections--stuck, tipped over, four guys pushing the 550+lb bike up a hill--that probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. But it's all in good fun...one man's misery is another man's entertainment. I was planning on doing the turkey run at Hoot Owl but I started having flashbacks of my first turkey run at Pachaug last year so I might end up doing the dual-sport run instead and save my turkey run adventures for later in the year.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #1188
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNERSVILLE
You forgot to mention this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ohmtcOjkw
Classic. . I forgot I broke my disk gaurd with the police in the background.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #1189
El Santo
Enmascarado de Plata

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel
I'd say go to Netra.org and look at the schedule for dual-sport rides in the area as a first start. That's how I found out about Pachaug. Before someone put me on to netra, I didn't even know there were legal places to ride in the area outside of Thomaston Dam and I've lived here for 20 years
Thanks for your comments. I was actually at the Trail this weekend on my 950 and did some of the easy stuff, and had a great time. I ran into two pairs of riders. Both groups advised not to go into the trail on "that"...the frist pair riding a coulple of Kawasaki KXs no plates, no lights, nothing, they said no problem just ride a real dirt bike, dont stop when you see ATVs and and you'll be fine. The other two riders on a couple of new KTMs, plates, trunsignals, the whole bit, they said as long as you are plated you can go anywhere...

I want to buy a KTM two stroke to go in there...can a 2 stroke be plated in CT? Any special requirements?

I will also look at the NETRA schedule, to see what I can do. Do they require any kind of registration for the bike/rider? Hope to have a bike soonn and hit the pachaug very soon.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #1190
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I was actually at the Trail this weekend on my 950 and did some of the easy stuff, and had a great time. I ran into two pairs of riders. Both groups advised not to go into the trail on "that"...the frist pair riding a coulple of Kawasaki KXs no plates, no lights, nothing, they said no problem just ride a real dirt bike, dont stop when you see ATVs and and you'll be fine. The other two riders on a couple of new KTMs, plates, trunsignals, the whole bit, they said as long as you are plated you can go anywhere...

I want to buy a KTM two stroke to go in there...can a 2 stroke be plated in CT? Any special requirements?

I will also look at the NETRA schedule, to see what I can do. Do they require any kind of registration for the bike/rider? Hope to have a bike soonn and hit the pachaug very soon.
The events themselves typically require Netra membership ($45/year for individual) and an event fee, which varies from event to event. Other than that you just need a street licensed bike. You might not be allowed on some routes outside of the dual-sport events but I am guessing on that.

As for the two stroke KTM, I am considering and wondering the same thing. I currently ride a 300+ lb DRZ through Pachaug and wonder how much easier it would be to ride a bike about 100 lbs lighter (especially with my small frame). I know a few guys in this thread have plated 2-strokes...not quite sure how they did it. Seems to all depend on what person you get at the DMV and what paperwork you have for the bike.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #1191
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
It is possible to get a plate but it's not easy. The easiest thing to do is watch the classifieds for a bike that already has a title. I see them quite a bit on Craigslist.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #1192
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
KTMs come with titles, not MCOs, including the 2 strokes, up until 08 or 09. Simple to register in CT, I have had 2 in recent years. Buy a used KTM with a title, walk into DMV with the correct paperwork and enough money, walk out with a plate.
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #1193
fastlearner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Thanks I've ridden rocks mud and the whole bit, but I will stay away on the 950 for now. Any other recommendations to do some dual sporting? I am new to this area (based in Greenwich CT, coming from Mexico).
I'm the trailboss for the Three Rivers DS on 7/25. I laid it out on my 950adv. Lots of scenic dirt road and twisty tar.
fastlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #1194
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
KTMs come with titles, not MCOs, including the 2 strokes, up until 08 or 09.
?? KTMs come with MCOs that in most states (but not all) do not have any restrictive language on them (i.e., "not for highway use"). As a result, in most states, they can be titled and registered for the street, although some states, like MA, have separate state inspection requirements if you want the bike to be fully street legal (i.e., turn signals, license plate light, horn, mirrors, chain guards, etc.). Eventually, the DMV and the state inspection service centers will be tied to one another so that you will have your registration revoked if the bike is not inspected. Note that the MCO is not transferrable by anyone other than a dealer, so if the original owner did not get a street title any subsequent buyer will generally not be able to later get one (some states, like MA and NH, do have procedures you can follow to legalize a dirt bike, but at least in MA it's a hassle). So best is to buy a new bike that has a clean MCO (like a KTM) or buy a used bike from someone who obtained a clean title for the bike.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1195
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
?? KTMs come with MCOs that in most states (but not all) do not have any restrictive language on them (i.e., "not for highway use"). As a result, in most states, they can be titled and registered for the street, although some states, like MA, have separate state inspection requirements if you want the bike to be fully street legal (i.e., turn signals, license plate light, horn, mirrors, chain guards, etc.). Eventually, the DMV and the state inspection service centers will be tied to one another so that you will have your registration revoked if the bike is not inspected. Note that the MCO is not transferrable by anyone other than a dealer, so if the original owner did not get a street title any subsequent buyer will generally not be able to later get one (some states, like MA and NH, do have procedures you can follow to legalize a dirt bike, but at least in MA it's a hassle). So best is to buy a new bike that has a clean MCO (like a KTM) or buy a used bike from someone who obtained a clean title for the bike.
Or buy a Husky
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #1196
Throttle-jockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:

No, you can't go anywhere you want. Only the designated trail for motorcycles.
You should have bitch-slapped those illegal morons on the KX's.
Throttle-jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #1197
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpyboy
El Santo asked about registering a 2 stroke KTM in CT. The answer remains....buy a used KTM 2 stroke that is TITLED, in any state, and transfer your title and get street registration at Ct DMV. I've registered 3 KTM EXCs, 2 were 2 strokes, between '02-'09. It is that simple. The only inspection required is for an out of state bike to have the VIN verified.
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #1198
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
El Santo asked about registering a 2 stroke KTM in CT. The answer remains....buy a used KTM 2 stroke that is TITLED
ya, and that is what I said was one simple route to take.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #1199
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle-jockey
You should have bitch-slapped those illegal morons on the KX's.

Absolutely should have

Nuff said !

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #1200
El Santo
Enmascarado de Plata

Oddometer: 60
Talking

Thanks to everyone for your comments and interest.

Those two on the KXs looked mean...I was not going to take on them by myself, but I did give them a nasty look. Nevertheless I think they will continue doing what they do.

I am looking to buy a new bike, hopefully the dealer can help me get plates for a two stroke.

I am already looking at NETRA schedule to particpate in some of the DS and Hare Scramble events. I have high hopes for the season!!!

Thanks Again,