Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
AspentureRider OP
Rube

Oddometer: 151
ANC to ASE- a one-way ride from the Land of the Midnight Sun

Those of you who've been following JDROCKS thread here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893106
have an idea how this trip came about. Let me summarize-

Two years ago, a friend on the Saab92x forum, who goes by HYPERBOARDER here on ADV, suggested a group ride from Colorado to AK and back. Six or so of us were in! I told my workplace that I would miss 3 weeks in July of 2013, even though I technically am forbidden from travelling in the summer due to the seasonal nature of some of my duties. I figured that with two years notice, they could figure it out. Great! I got grumpy permission to do the trip...
But then, when choosing a week to celebrate my organization's 50th birthday, they scheduled events during the planned trip schedule that required my presence (and I don't begrudge that... there are certain things that I'm very good at) I came up with a unique solution- Find somebody to ride my 2008 Versys

to ANC (Anchorage) and then fly home, and I'll fly up and meet the group and continue the ride! Genius, Right?
And who signed up to do the one-way "partnership" ride? None other than the fabled JDROCKS! So here it is:

ANC to ASE- a one-way ride from the land of the Midnight Sun

Stay tuned...

AspentureRider screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 06:31 PM
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
AspentureRider OP
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Once I had determined to do the one-way fly and drive, finding a rider to transport the Versys to AK was a little harder than I expected. I had many friends and acquaintances that thought it sounded like a great idea, but when push came to shove, nobody would commit, and "I might be able to" wasn't going to get the bike to Anchorage. I posted up a "trip-share" thread on a couple of sites, and the general response was, "You're nuts to trust somebody you don't know to ride your bike 5K miles!" Well maybe... but then, out of the blue, JDROCKS offered to do it- He and I have corresponded and done a little business before, so I was excited to have him involved. He knows the roads, the challenges, and the bike inside and out- what better candidate? We set the dates, I bought his plane tickets, we dotted the tees and crossed the eyes, and I rode the bike down to DIA from Aspen on June 12 to meet his flight in from Dulles. I was almost as nervous as if I was leaving for Alaska myself, and in a way, I was... the bike had to be set up ready to go and with all my gear in place when I delivered it to him. I wouldn't see it again until I arrived in ANC on July 13th...
Getting to cross the Continental Divide over Independence Pass for the first time this year was icing on the cake.

The bike exchange was hurried... construction at DIA had made it difficult to find the right pickup point, and JD was on the wrong level to begin with, but we finally got together. The man is both bigger and younger than I expected... He's.... tall, and..... wide. Let's leave it at that! Confidence inspiring, if anything... we hit it right off and swapped my gear off of the bike and his onto it under the watchful eyes of a security guard. I meant to take a picture of us together, but time was tight... I needed to catch my flight back home- I'd promised work I'd be back after lunch! (as it turned out, I was stuck in the airport for five hours, but that's another story) Here's the picture he took of the bike at the airport-

So, JD heads off north out of Denver, and I head back to Aspen, not to see the bike again for over a month... I had a link to his spot tracker, which was highly entertaining to follow. Once again, check out his RR at the top of the page if you want to know what happened on the way north...
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote