There, I got you to page 2!!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,951
Day 3 Continued

Thanks, Sandiegoland

I've been married to her for 14 years, so imagine my surprise to find a lake named after her. Construction has turned the road into a smoothly graded gravel road for 7 miles. It had just been sprayed by a water truck, so goodbye clean bike.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 3 Continues

After Lassen I shoot down to Redding for a gas and breakfast stop. It's warming up, so I strip off my sweater. I was stuffing the sweater in the duffel bag when I managed to slice open my finger on my just-sharpened camp ax. It had a hard plastic blade cover I managed to push off while making room for the sweater. (I brought the ax in case I wanted a camp fire, but never had the time for such luxuries.) It didn't hurt much, but I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. I'm afraid I may need stitches! Luckily this occured at the gas station. I filled their garbage can with blood-soaked blue paper towels, and purchased a box of Band-Aids. After 30+ minutes of direct pressure it was still bleeding. I wrapped a piece of the paper towel around it and strapped it down tight with about 4 Band-Aids.

On to the Coast!

On Highway 299 through the Shasta-Trinity National Forest I encounter lots of smoke and several large fire fighter camps.

I had planned to ride straight through to the coast from Redding. I needed to make up some time. The smoke and heat was wearing me out. I could tell this road would be a great ride under better conditions. I can't see much scenery because of the smoke. I see a rest area and decided I needed it.

At the rest area I met a nice elderly couple touring the coast in a sedan with bicycles strapped to the back. We chatted about our trips. They asked me about the make-shift bandage. I explain how I cut myself. The lady was concerned I may get infected since I hadn't used anything to clean the wound. I said I was thinking of trying to re-bandage it. She digs in the trunk and offers me a tube of Neosporin. I thought she was going to let me use a little bit to re-bandage, but when I mention I'm likely to start squirting blood again when I remove the paper towel, she runs to her car and says keep the whole tube!

The man then digs into a cooler and brings out the largest nectarine I've ever seen. He gives it to me and says he is friend's with the farmer. It was picked 2 days ago. Only 2 stores around San Diego carry his nectarines.

I'm glad the lady left because by time I finished re-bandaging I had created a pretty good crime scene in the parking lot. I manage to get the bandage small enough to wear a glove.

They probably saved my life with the Neosporin. As soon as they left I snarfed up the cold nectarine. The man had warned me it was a little green, but it looked too good. Delicious!

The meeting with these people did alot to lift my spirits today.

I finally make it to the coast! No smoke! No Heat! I stop in Trinidad to get gas. I'm hungry so I purchase some pretty authentic carnitas tacos from the taco shop inside the gas station. That took care of any constipation that usually comes from sitting on the bike all day.

Not Smoke!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Still only Day 3?

Lassen NP dirtied up the bike a little.

The coast was cool in more way than one. I really loved these "tree tunnels". Reminds me of my time in Panama...

Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 3 Still... (the conclusion of day 3)

Notice the cool Death Valley pamphlets on display in the side pocket of the duffle.

Sweet Roads!

I walked a short distance down the Oregon Coastal Trail to get this shot for my wife (an avid hiker).

I think this was the Heceta Head Lighthouse

I make it to the Waldport KOA and get checked in before the office closed. I had trail running shoes taking up luggage space on the bike. I had hoped to be able to go for a run or short hike each day. I break the running shoes out for the first time and go for a run on the beach. This was the last time I managed to find the time for such fun. After a good shower I climb into the tent with a heavy mist blowing in off the ocean.

Nerd Self Portrait

Day 4 next!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #21
AnthonyD
Nothing to see here...

Oddometer: 411
Great motion shots! Especially that tunnel shot, and I'm not sure why, but I really like this one:

What camera are you using?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
KillerPriller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
nice shot!

Quo Vadimus?
KillerPriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #23
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Excellent report and superior photography. Thanks very much.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD
Great motion shots! Especially that tunnel shot, and I'm not sure why, but I really like this one:

What camera are you using?
Okay, I'll spill the beans since many here recognize this road. It's the road up Mount Evans, the highest motorable road in North America. I wish I had some shots of the whoops and bumps in the road large enough to make a motocross track proud.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix TZ5, as recommended by others in the Equipment Forum. This and the Canon IS870 are probably the best point and shoot cameras currently out. After looking at both I went with the TZ5 because I felt the controls are easier to use while riding. I'm not really a good photographer. I think I kept the camera set on "Intelligent Auto" the entire trip. I deleted very few shots because the camera just takes good photos of everything.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #25
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4, Oregon and Washington

Day 4, 605 miles, Camp to Camp Time 16:40

A little more Oregon Coast this morning with heavy fog or a light mist at times. I tested out the anti-fog Scorpion faceshield. I couldn't get the clear shield to fog up at all.

I experiment with a few camera angles.

I was excited to enter the Tillamook area. I've certainly contributed to the areas economy over the years.

These cows make fine cheese!

Sweet Country Roads!

I stop to get gas near this intersection. Oregon actually has gas station attendants that swipe your card and hand you the gas nozzle. I'm not much of a people person, but the extra service is nice. I would probably prefer self-pay at the pump, but most pumps in the US and Canada frequently require you to enter the store anyway to get a reciept.

I need to come back when I can spend the time to check out this Air Museum...

...And the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

Even the train is proud of their cows...

Tunnel Vision includes KTM Orange!

Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #26
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4, Continued

A few shots of the Oregon Coast.

I see a big bridge ahead in Astoria. We don't have cool bridges like this in Arizona, so I snap pics like a tourist.

My favorite. The truck matches the bridge well.

When we continue... Washington State!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #27
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4, still...

Washington is GREEN!

At a construction delay I got to chat with two nice guys from the Country Roads Carpet Cleaning. They both ride Kawi Cruisers and asked alot of questions about my trip. I forgot to get their names, but I got the impression they were father and son.

They looked at my route around Mt St Helen's. They said many of the roads in the area I was planning to ride today were still closed because of this years heavy snow. They were in the area last weekend. If the roads were open they had just been opened.

Now I had something new to worry about. Should I just go straight to Mt Rainer or continue with my planned route. I decided to continue...

The trees in WA come with lots of extra foliage.

I get the first views of Mt St Helens. I kept seeing signs for closed areas ahead, but couldn't find the same names on my map. It's a nice day for a ride, but I really didn't have enough daylight left for a lengthy back track.

The roads were perfect, with almost no traffic, and OPEN. I could rarely see anything except the trees though. I had a blast on the roads east of Mt St Helens.

I make it to Mt Rainer NP!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #28
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4, Mt Rainer NP

Again almost no other traffic. I will plan to only enter NPs on the weekdays on my future rides.

This Stellar's Jay and his partner had a nest just over the edge of the stonewall railing of the scenic pullout. He was apparently used to handouts, since he kept coming closer.

This little bird has an awesome view! I sat on the wall with a bag of candy and a cold soda soaking in the view.

Back on the road the sun goes down quickly as I race to get off the mountain before dark. I notice someone planted lots of flowers at the edge of the road for my pleasure.

Notice all the snow, and me still in summer mesh gear. I kept thinking it would warm up again when I dropped down the mountain. No time to stop and change. By time I got to Auburn I had a mild case of hypothermia.

The bugs love me!

I planned to stay in the KOA near Auburn. I circled it's approximate location on my map. I thought I would see a sign or something, but next thing I know I in the Metro Seattle area. Oh well, might as well get north of Seattle to avoid the rush hour traffic tomorrow.

I call my wife and she looks up the exact directions for the next KOA north of town off the I5. I make it to the KOA at 11:30 PM. I really only needed to sleep a few hours since I wanted to get an early start tomorrow. The KOA wanted $38 for a tent site with no hook-ups! Screw that! I saw motels for $59!

A rest area was only 2 miles up the road...

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-02-2008 at 07:15 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #29
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
Tree tunnels rock! I always try to get an action shot going through but it's usually to dim... some things you just need to enjoy then and there...

Great photos and a smart choice of transportation there!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #30
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 5, British Columbia

Day 5, 495 miles, Rest Area to Camp Time 13:05

I wake up after sleeping soundly for about 5 hours. I made myself comfortable next to the bike in the rest area parking lot. I take a few photos before packing up and hitting the road. I felt even better for saving $38. I didn't remember hearing the over-sized loaded truck pull in last night...

I flashed my passport and answered a few questions at the border. I thought there might be trouble when the girl at the border asks incredulously, "You came all the way up here to only stay 2 days"?! She didn't want to hear the whole story as I quickly explained my intentions. I was in Canada in less than 2 minutes.

Vancouver, BC. What a neat city. Must return someday. Of course, by avoiding Seattle's rush hour I hit Vancouver's. I take the 99 directly through downtown. People are everywhere. Mass transit, bicycles, pedestrians... A few construction detours nearly got me lost.

I crossed the Lions Gate Bridge. Scenic. Vancouver seems much more like the European cities I've visited.

The "Sea to Sun Highway" had tons of construction and traffic. The scenery was cool though.

I make it to the McDonalds in Squamish for breakfast. I realize I have a real problem here. This is one of the nicest McDonalds I've ever seen. I take a seat in a high backed leather covered booth. I see another seating area with large leather chairs near a fireplace. I would've moved there, but someone else sat down.

The Problem. I realized I was sitting in this luxurious booth hunched over with my arms on the table and my legs bent and feet on the floor directly underneath me. In other words, I had stopped to rest, but was subconsciously assuming the same position as on the bike. I had to force myself to stretch out and relax.

After breakfast I snag some spending cash from an ATM.