User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #61
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Day 8, Grand Tetons

Grand Teton NP is always nice. I think it took about 5 hours to ride the ~100 miles through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons to Jackson.

Antlers Arch in overcrowded Jackson, WY

Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #62
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 9, Mt. Evans!

The KOA was full when I got to Rock Springs, WY last night. I had intended to only stay in a motel if I really needed, but was too tired to ride further looking for a campground. After "camping" in a really nice room at the La Quinta this rider is refreshed!

I love riding in Utah!

I had to get this photo for my kids.

The pink Dinosaur was begging, so I let her take the Aprilia for a spin.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #63
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 9 continued

In Vernal, Utah I decide the front will need to be changed. I really don't want to ride this tire any more. It was an almost new tire when I started this trip. I usually change the front tire after 9000 miles looking much better than this. The really hard riding in California on day one squared off the front profile as well as a flat spot on each side. I was really pushing the front hard. Now the handling is going to crap.

In Colorado the mountains ahead look fun. If only I didn't have to worry about the tire. In Craig, CO a helpful clerk at a 7-11 looked in the phone book for a motorcycle dealer. A Planet Powersports was listed with a store in Craig, and one ahead in Steamboat Springs. It was Saturday. Will they be open? The clerk calls the Craig store. No Answer. She calls the Steamboat Springs Store. They say they'll be open until 4.

I get to the store in Steamboat Springs around 1 PM. They have only 1 ST tire in stock. I'll take it! The service manager/technician,Travis King, agreed to drop everything else to slap the new tire on. Travis and the other employees were excited to see a fully loaded bug-splattered Aprilia. He had a big smile as he rode it into the shop. Travis actually attended Motorcycle Mechanics Institute 10 years ago, which is located about 6 miles from my home in Phoenix.

I drooled on the KTMs and other bikes while he worked. The store was closed by 2. I barely made it in time. I appreciate Travis mounting the tire for me. I would have done it myself if he didn't, but I didn't want to.

Yes! Fresh Black DoNut! Bring on the Rockies...again!
Sorry, no time to clean the bugs off. Let's ride!

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 10:12 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #64
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
Dream Theater fan eh?

JT
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #65
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse 101
Dream Theater fan eh?

JT
I was wondering who would be the first to figure that out. Check out the Dream Theater beanie from the self portrait after spending the night in the rest area.

For those not in the know, Dream Theater is a progressive metal band. 2 of their albums are Images and Words, & Scenes From a Memory. I couldn't think of anything creative myself.

Dream Theater has been around for over 20 years. Check 'em out here; http://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 09:06 PM
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #66
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Great pics!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #67
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 9, Colorado!

Uh oh! Looks like my good luck with the great weather is about to run out.

I stop here to waterproof and hide the camera from the rain.

After a cooling off, the weather clears up east of the I-70 tunnels.

The road up Mt. Evans is dry and open!

The road starts easy enough... I've only read about this road here. Other's photos assured me this would be a great ride. Will it?

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 10:15 PM
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #68
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Thumb "The Highest Motorable Road in North America!"

This road is awesome! I should point out that anyone with a fear of heights combined with a lack in confidence of their riding should not attempt this ride. There is LOTS of EXPOSURE with a challenging road to boot.

***Under no circumstances should anyone attempt to ride this road while operating a camera with one hand!!!***

I meet these guys on the way up.

I made it to the top! 14,130 feet above sea level. A Belgium tourist took this shot, and he got a nice family portrait in return. Notice I'm still in summer riding gear. It'll will warm up soon, right? It was in the 40's.

dave6253 screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 10:16 PM
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #69
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Eek Mt. Evans Road (downhill)

The little ribbon of asphalt below beckons!

Riding as close to the edge of the crumbling asphalt seems to increase the fun. Now you know why my wife isn't on the back.

Finally, one of the last shots on the mountain was the one some of you were interested in. That's a sharp 1st gear corner ahead. At least the road is smooth here. The area around Summit Lake had HUGE whoops, bumps, and jumps. I had to stand on the pegs and work the little Aprilia like the dirt bike she aspires to be. I wish I had some photos of those bumps. They go on for several hundred yards. I found the bumps were smaller near the right edge going down.

Next thing you know I'm back on the I-70.

I make it to county road 371 about 10 miles north of Buena Vista just after dark. I followed the first sign for a campground off the highway. I rip down the dirt road in the dark for about 2 miles. I'm not seeing any other signs for a campground, but I did see kayakers camping in pullouts along the road. Good enough for me. I turn around to camp at a pullout next to the river. The dirt road was damp from the earlier rain, but otherwise was in good condition.

I was getting good at setting up camp. 15 minutes later I'm in bed. The sound from the river was deafening. I swear I could hear boulders clunking around.

I call the wife to check in. Everywhere I went on this trip the cell phone had coverage when I turned it on. Tonight was the first night the coverage was roaming.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #70
Deyleone
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 10
Thumb

Excellent! Well worth the price of admission. I had been hoping to get out and see the Pacific Northwest this summer but it will have to wait. Thank god threads like yours are around to tide me over.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #71
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Laugh Day 10, The Road Home

Day 10, 775 Miles, 15:30 hours

I get up before dawn to pack up camp for the final time. This is where I camped on County Road 371. I'm on the move again by 4:45 AM.

It's gonna be a beautiful morning of riding before heading home. I decide to not take the most direct route home, but enjoy a few great roads first.

I ride south on the 24 then west on the 50. Monarch Pass was very fun. I then take the 149 through Lake City, Creede, and South Fork. Wow! What a fun road!

Yes, that is a cloud below me.

Once I make it to Wolf Creek Pass I'm on very familiar roads. I ski at Wolf Creek a few times a year. It was nice to see how it looks without all the snow.

Approaching Durango, I see a couple rain showers ahead. I waterproof my electronics. I don't bother wearing my rain suit. I get pretty wet for a few minutes, but am dry again in about 10.

I snap very few photos the rest of the trip. The Navajo Nation always provides some nice scenery.

I make it home at 8:15 PM. I snap a few photos of me kissing the bug-splattered nose of my Aprilia. I deleted them after seeing how embarrassingly vulgar they appeared.

I love my bike! Fast, Smooth, Powerful, Comfortable, and RELIABLE! (...and in bad need of some love and attention).

I joke with my wife I should go ride another 138 miles. Obviously the number 6253 is important to me. I only rode 6115 miles in 10 days.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #72
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Is everyone out riding today? I need some replies to get to page 2. Too many photos on page 1...
Looking good so far!

I'm stuck inside editing pics from my NA tour last summer, while hiding from the wettest summer on record.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #73
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Laugh Post Ride Thoughts

I feel very fortunate to be able to complete such a trip with no mechanical failures, and with such great riding weather. Would I do it again? Absolutely! It was the ride of my lifetime, so far... Next time I would like to reduce my daily mileage. Especially on the days when riding time-consuming roads. Being in camp each night before dark, and never being pressured to make miles would be nice. But, with so many roads to ride and places to see...

Being a husband and father of two wonderful kids means it will be awhile before I can embark again on such a selfish endeavor.

The Futura is a great touring bike, but does have a few shortcomings. The windshield is the biggest complaint after 6 years. There is an incredible amount of wind noise making earplugs mandatory, and music all but impossible except on slower roads. Also the windshield directs all of the bugs directly onto my faceshield and shoulders. Constantly reconstituting bugs to clean them off gets old. Bug guts smell!

There is just enough vibration in the handlebars to cause irritation to my hands. I've never really noticed this before in only a few days of riding at a time. About halfway into this ride I began to notice my manual dexterity was suffering. This would become most apparent when fumbling with money. I also dropped my helmet twice. On the last night the joints in both hands became painful and irritated. 9 days after the ride my hands are slowly returning to normal.

On the plus side, the Futura has the absolutely best, most comfortable seat of any bike I've ever ridden.

Writing a Ride Report is time-consuming! I was constantly thinking of getting enough photos to tell the entire story of my ride. It is rewarding to be able to share my ride with others. The best thing about writing the report is re-living the dream ride!

My biggest disappointment is the photos. Yeah, I know. I got some good photos. However, they just don't reflect the real beauty I saw everywhere I went. Also I realize there were so many photos I failed to get. You MUST go see these places for yourself!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #74
mtnbiker1096
Wishing I was there

Oddometer: 57
Cool2

Really nice ride and pics!!
mtnbiker1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #75
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker1096
Really nice ride and pics!!
Thanks mtnbiker1096. Nice avatar! I also ride a mountain bike, and road bike... I must make it back to Idaho. Lots of roads there I want to see.