User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Noblehops
Misfit

Oddometer: 138
Yup, it's Chronic

I've lost track, I'm either on my third or fourth 'strip'. It has been good for over a year now, so here's hoping. Yes, it seems unimaginable that BMW can't get this right. Seems like another case of BMW using made-up technology when good-old would have been just fine.

If only we didn't love these things, life would be so much easier. Owning a BMW is like dating a really hot stripper that keeps giving you VD.

N.

"In Penne We Trust"
Noblehops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
writerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
same here

Bought a 2009 1200GSA about a month ago and I was cruising around on my first tank of dealer gas (so I didn't set the trip meter) at about 70mph in the left lane and I ran out of gas. Dead as a door nail. Luckily I had enough momentum and was able to pull off to the right shoulder. A good samaritan helped me push my bike off to the next exit. Needless to say, the range meter said I had 80 miles left, and no yellow light came on to tell me that I was on reserve. I took it to the dealer for the 600 mile service last Thursday, told him about the fuel sensor, and he said that they have been having problems. They replaced the sensor, reset the computer and sent me on my way. I drove away and the gas gauge was registering about a 1/4 full. I wondered if they had to empty some of the tank to change the sensor and didn't replace the gas. So I went to the gas station and filled up. It was only a couple of gallons to full. When I turned her back on the fuel gauge registered almost full (1 or 2 bars missing). Weird. Looks like I am going to have a chronic problem as well.

writerrider screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 08:15 PM
writerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,320
I find that resetting my bike's computer every 6 months helps. Take the positive lead off the battery and let it sit overnight OR disconnect the positive and touch it to the negative lead with the key on will reset the computer.
MPG is cleared and appears more accurately.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #19
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,406
The time I ran out of gas my bike was a couple of days old. After multiple unsuccessful recalibrations by the dealer they found the fuel strip sensor laying on the bottom of the tank.

Its been back three times after that for strip replacements/calibrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I find that resetting my bike's computer every 6 months helps. Take the positive lead off the battery and let it sit overnight OR disconnect the positive and touch it to the negative lead with the key on will reset the computer.
MPG is cleared and appears more accurately.
Why not simply reset the MPG by holding down the INFO button?

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #21
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Why not simply reset the MPG by holding down the INFO button?
I've done that. It resets it but does not clear the history. All I notice is that my MPG jumps from 35 to 41 after a system reset. The GS computer feels like it's running windoze. You need to reboot once every so often.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
Yey, I am on my 4th and need magic #5.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
AlphaLemur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Replaced at 600 mile service - 2009 GS

I'll chime in as well. I bought an 09 GS in June and the guage was working fine on delivery. After the second fill-up the guage was still working fine when one day I turned on the bike and the gas went from half to full. I thought may be I'd been visited by the free gas gnomes but alas my tank was truly half full. Luckily, I was still in the habit of resetting a trip meter from my previous motorcycle (with advanced reserve switch).

From then on my fuel guage ALWAYS showed full no matter what. I reported it when I made my appointment for the 600 mile service and it was replaced. I think the service receipt said something about bad contacts 2 & 3. To the defense of the dealer from the OP, I don't think this classified as a recall. My service tech said it was a common issue and they had replaced some but I don't think it was something they were going to replace on every GS as a precaution. I've gone about 600 miles and topped off the tank about 3 times since then and the guage seems to be working consistently, although consistently seems to mean that the light comes on with about 1.5 gallons in the tank

I'm still resetting trip II with every fill up and I won't take it in just for a recalibration (I like to leave well enough alone and this is certainly well enough). May be I'll have them look at it during the 6,000 mile service.
AlphaLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,355
Ditto. My '08 GSA guage showed empty after a normal fill-up after 14 months and just shy of 12k miles. Then...one morning it started registering right again on the commute to work...then, of course...on the way home showed empty again with only about 80 miles on a full tank. I guess I'll just have to run it down near empty and schedule the dildos to fix it.

I just have to remember this time to ask them to run a recall search. They never seem to care to let me know if something on my bike is recalled.

Love the bike...hate the ________...

(edited so as to not hurt the fragile feelings of certain quality employees of BMW Dealers)

WildTurkey screwed with this post 09-02-2009 at 04:26 PM
WildTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
007ADVenture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
3rd Strip for me

So far all is good.

This is getting old fast between the fuel pump regulator, fuel strip, and firmware updates.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #26
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey

Love the bike...hate the dealer...

Yeah ... those guys suck.

Is not that they would do anything at all for you.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #27
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Hate the dealer management...not the nice guys who work there.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #28
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
The day I was waiting to take delivery of my new GS resulted in the sales person coming to the showroom (I'd been waiting for 4 hours) to tell me that when the bike was test ridden that the "fuel strip" inside the tank had malfunctioned, and, that there was a BMW recall on it; I asked if there was a recall on it, why wasn't that taken care of prior to delivery? No clear answer was given.

It was the end of the day so they said they would have the bike ready the following morning; I arrived at 1:00 the following afternoon and took delivery.

Yesterday while on my second tank of gas, the bike ran out of gas with 3 bars of fuel gauge still showing - I should have been paying more attention to the miles I had travelled instead of the gauge, however, I ran the first tank of fuel down to the last bar on the gauge without running out of fuel. I'm more than a bit disappointed so far. Anyone else had this problem?
It's just depressing reading all the threads about all the chronic, non-addressed, ongoing issues and apparent design flaws with these bikes.

I honestly want to buy one, but it's just getting to be too much of an admission of mental illness and denial on my part to jump into a $20,000 vehicle that I know I'll never trust and that will almost certainly let me down and/or strand me repetedly.

I totally love the concept and potential of these bikes, but they have to actually deliver on that potential to be worthy of the monetary expenditure.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #29
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
It's just depressing reading all the threads about all the chronic, non-addressed, ongoing issues and apparent design flaws with these bikes.

I honestly want to buy one, but it's just getting to be too much of an admission of mental illness and denial on my part to jump into a $20,000 vehicle that I know I'll never trust and that will almost certainly let me down and/or strand me repetedly.

I totally love the concept and potential of these bikes, but they have to actually deliver on that potential to be worthy of the monetary expenditure.
I can undestand the hesitation. Amazingly, despite my fuel strip problems I can honestly say I have no regrets over buying this bike. I will continue to recommend it and also continue to work on the manufacturer to deal with the issues. While it amazes me that a vehicle manufacturer would allow a fuel guage to continue to fail without properly resolving the problem with customers, my $20,000 investment brings a $25,000 grin to my face every day I get on it and ride
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #30
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey
I can undestand the hesitation. Amazingly, despite my fuel strip problems I can honestly say I have no regrets over buying this bike. I will continue to recommend it and also continue to work on the manufacturer to deal with the issues. While it amazes me that a vehicle manufacturer would allow a fuel guage to continue to fail without properly resolving the problem with customers, my $20,000 investment brings a $25,000 grin to my face every day I get on it and ride
I'm glad that you're enjoying the bike, but my point was that there are many defects and issues with these bikes, not just the fuel gauges.

It just seems that he manufacturer keeps cranking out poorly designed and defective units with no concern at all regarding the consequences suffered by the customers who buy them. That ain't a good attitude anytime, but it's especially damaging in this age of easy communications between owners and in this economy when people take the time to research and evaluate high-end purchases that they're considering.

Wishing you the best with your bike,

John

jpooch00 screwed with this post 09-04-2009 at 04:35 PM
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote