Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #31
r1dinman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
In less than an hour, I go to have the third fuel level sensor installed on my 08 GS. The original one left me stranded on the first tank, at night, 32 degrees, in the bad part of town. The guage read 1/2 full. Since then I've always set the trip meter. The other day, I noticed that I had ridden 160 miles and still had 239 miles to go before reserve. The guage read full. Great range! NOT! This is either a poor design or poor quality ar both. BMW never admitts a problem, but they usually fix it eventually. I hope it happens before the waranty runs out. If not I have a failure record to discuss with them.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
I'm glad that you're enjoying the bike, but my point was that there are many defects and issues with these bikes, not just the fuel gauges.

It just seems that he manufacturer keeps cranking out poorly designed and defective units with no concern at all regarding the consequences suffered by the customers who buy them. That ain't a good attitude anytime, but it's especially damaging in this age of easy communications between owners and in thes economy when people take the time to research and evaluate high-end purchases that they're considering.

Wishing you the best with your bike,

John
I am not aware of other significant poor design issues or defects that would send me packing. My bike has been relatively normal in terms of service needs and performance. The GS is THE top big DS bike to own because of the design and year over year improvements. What BMW risks is in losing the "evangelist" nature of so many good customers with ridiculous service gaps such as this fuel strip situation.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey
I am not aware of other significant poor design issues or defects that would send me packing. My bike has been relatively normal in terms of service needs and performance. The GS is THE top big DS bike to own because of the design and year over year improvements. What BMW risks is in losing the "evangelist" nature of so many good customers with ridiculous service gaps such as this fuel strip situation.
Don't really know what you're saying about "evangelist nature". Also, I may be mistaken, but I really haven't seen any evidence of year to year improvements - quality or reliability wise.

Glad you like your bike and that you're getting relatively normal service from it. If that's acceptable to you, then that's what counts.

Have a good one,

John
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #34
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Don't really know what you're saying about "evangelist nature". Also, I may be mistaken, but I really haven't seen any evidence of year to year improvements - quality or reliability wise.

Glad you like your bike and that you're getting relatively normal service from it. If that's acceptable to you, then that's what counts.

Have a good one,

John
Excellent passive aggressive commentary...
Old 09-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Excellent passive aggressive commentary...
Hey, glad you liked it! I do my best.

Have a good one,

John
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #36
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,228
Quote:
Hate the dealer management...not the nice guys who work there.
Those guys will give you the shirt off their backs ... for a carton of cigarettes
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #37
Phantom88
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Took my '08 GS in for service today, and mentioned the fuel guage system is screwed up just like every body else's. The service manager advised that BMW has no real fix for the problem, and they have told dealers just to keep replacing with the current system as long as the bike is in warranty.
Phantom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #38
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom88
Took my '08 GS in for service today, and mentioned the fuel guage system is screwed up just like every body else's. The service manager advised that BMW has no real fix for the problem, and they have told dealers just to keep replacing with the current system as long as the bike is in warranty.
Well, at least you have to give Beemerco credit for honesty. They're admitting that they can't design a fix instead of denying that there's a problem like they usually do. Progress??
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #39
SRFade
FeHorse Rider

Oddometer: 53
no longer your "dream bike?"

Quote:
Well, at least you have to give Beemerco credit for honesty. They're admitting that they can't design a fix instead of denying that there's a problem like they usually do. Progress??
Hanging out in Gspot (if you are thinking of buying one) is like hanging out in Face Plant if you are thinking of taking up riding. Neither option will be good for your confidence. Just take the plunge and enjoy. Your anxiety about corporate responsibility will just get your blood pressure up.
2013 690 Enduro R
SRFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #40
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFade
Hanging out in Gspot (if you are thinking of buying one) is like hanging out in Face Plant if you are thinking of taking up riding. Neither option will be good for your confidence. Just take the plunge and enjoy. Your anxiety about corporate responsibility will just get your blood pressure up.
Man, you're right on every point for sure. I'll be going into a 2010 GS ADV with my eyes wide open, anyway. No real surprises and no unexpected disappointments!

Naturally, they could end up causing new problems with the essentially bullet-proof basic engine design on these bikes by putting those dual cam heads on it. Seems like Murphy works overtime at Beemerco.

I know it's gonna be a crap shoot but screw it, I'm gettin' one anyway!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #41
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Just replaced the fuel strips on both 2007 GS's we own. My GSA fuel gauge simply goes blank when I start to get low, the yellow light comes on, then, a while later, everything simply comes back to normal. My wife's GS has been screwed up from day one, reading way off from what is reality. I pay scrupulous attention to setting the trip meter at each fill up and ignore the gauges. The issues weren't fixed with new fuel strips but the trip meters work so we ignore the gauges. Not the end of the world and we both love the GS for what it is - a great all round motorcycle. But for the money you'd think they could make a gas gauge that works!

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #42
sbtrvlr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
08 12GS bu the side of the road

Mine cut out yesterday at 70mph, leaving me stranded by the side of the road for a couple hours. Dealer can't even look at it til end of the week, but he assumes it's the fuel gauge problem. It did seem odd that it showed full when I thought it was 3/4. Now I'm reading all the 12GS problem posts so I know what to expect next. I'll be off on my Triumph Truxton today. I expect it to break, yet it never does.
sbtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #43
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtrvlr
I'll be off on my Triumph Truxton today. I expect it to break,
yet it never does.
So you've really got the best of BOTH worlds:

You expect the Triumph to break, yet it never does.

You expect the Beemer to be ab-so-lute-ly unstoppable ... and yet ... stupid shit breaks fairly frequently
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #44
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtrvlr
It did seem odd that it showed full when I thought it was 3/4.
Seemed ODD? It seems even odder to me that you thought it was 3/4 full when it was empty...

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #45
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Hhm, I had 1/2 tank left on the gauge today with something like 240 miles for the range. I went 15 miles and the gauge dropped down to almost empty with 100 mile range. Wasn't sure if it was the fuel strip or a leaking tank (new to this bike, and yes, the fuel strip had been replaced by the previous owner, this is an '09). It only required 4.2 gallons after 173 miles on the trip meter.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote