Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #46
Ric-GS1200-2009
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc
Fuel tank full...Yellow warning light burning hole in my forehead...problem at 2 thous miles on my 09 gs1200....easy dealer fix in and out in 1.5 hours...hopefully won't happen again....love the bike...first GS...traded Ducati ST3S...also a good bike....G
Exactly the same thing for me at 1200 km. Warning yellow light flashing this morning and gaz thank is full. Very disappointed for a bike in that price range. Going to dealer and losing one day work. Does BMW engineer knows about that ? Still a good ride... Mmmmmmmmmmmm !
Ric-GS1200-2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #47
lyeffion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
It's just depressing reading all the threads about all the chronic, non-addressed, ongoing issues and apparent design flaws with these bikes.

I honestly want to buy one, but it's just getting to be too much of an admission of mental illness and denial on my part to jump into a $20,000 vehicle that I know I'll never trust and that will almost certainly let me down and/or strand me repetedly.

I totally love the concept and potential of these bikes, but they have to actually deliver on that potential to be worthy of the monetary expenditure.
I have an '08 GSA, and have had ZERO problems! (knock on wood!)
Old 10-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #48
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,363
Had my first Fuel Strip repair done this week. Leaving on a week long 2-up ride meeting some family riding from another state, so fuel guage would be nice

Took the bike in Thursday morning. Had also been planning to do my own 12k maintainance for about 2k now . Decided to go ahead and have them to the 12k while the bike was in, since my home mechanic (me) was never going to get around to it. They did the 12k maint first and then the fuel strip. After the fuel strip repair they began to work on a fuel pump fault that was showing on the computer. I hadn't noticed any fuel delivery problems prior to service. I was standing around at 5:30pm when everyone wanted to go home still waiting for the bike. They were finishing up a firmware update to the on board computer to see if that resolved the fuel pump fault. NOPE! The mechanics did not want to release it with the fuel pump fault. I greatly appreciate that attitude. Eventually, they gave me a loaner until the next day.

Got a call from the service guy late in the morning while I was at work. He tells me that the fault won't clear and they want to replace the fuel pump. By the end of the day, they eventually got their hands on a fuel pump and got the bike wrapped up.

I shortened up the details quite significantly...these guys really did bend over backwards to make sure my bike was in good shape in time for my upcoming trip. I'm sure as hell glad the mechanics are meticulous and stubborn and didn't just let me take the bike on Thursday night with the fuel pump fault still active. I was tempted to take it.

I'm very glad I took it in and glad the fuel pump didn't end up failing on me out in the sticks somewhere.

THANK YOU BMW MECHANICS AND SERVICE MGR!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #49
Conrad OP
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
I follow Ronald Reagan's advice on this one: Trust but verify. Keep an eye on the fuel gauge but don't forget to set the trip-meter as a verification of the errant fuel gauge.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #50
Zappp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Just happened

Just started having problems with my 05. Always was very accurate intill last week. Now I fill it up and it reads about half tank.
Am I to understand that if I replace my own fuel sensor, I'll still need to take it in to get a calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblehops
If only we didn't love these things, life would be so much easier. Owning a BMW is like dating a really hot stripper that keeps giving you VD.
N.
Noblehops, I wish this was my quote. Very funny
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmr
Just started having problems with my 05. Always was very accurate intill last week. Now I fill it up and it reads about half tank.
Am I to understand that if I replace my own fuel sensor, I'll still need to take it in to get a calibration?
I've measured a number of them new, off the shelf and they do differ in resistance. The acceptable range is 2200 to 2800 ohms and most have been 2500 +/- 100 ohms. It would depend on the dry resistance of the new one vs the old one of course. I think I would try it if it was too inconvenient to go to the dealer...you can always empty the tank and let the sensor dry out later if you have to calibrate it.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #52
Gilmor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
First problem!

Hi all, Have not got to post much on this site since joining. Just bought my first BMW the first of June. ( 1200 GS ) This fuel gauge issue is the first problem I have had. Fuel gauge and miles till empty was right on the money until 6000 miles. I always use trip 2 to keep track of miles ridden since fill up and I had switched to trip 1 for some reason? Wife and I were out riding one day and I noticed I was on trip 1. switched to trip 2 and ( crap ) 219 miles ! gauge showed only 2 bars from full. Back to the dealer on Thursday for a fix on the gauge and oil change. p.s. Am AT 7000 miles now and still love the bike. Hate to see winter come ! Will keep riding until after getting to work skin is turning blue!
Gilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #53
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
My 09's fuel gauge took a dump on me too.

I had half a tank, left a stop light, and the triangle was flashing, no bars, with the fuel warning on.

The dealer replaced the strip, the computer apparently told the guy to check the wiring harness, which was fine, and it wouldn't calibrate right. He fought with it for close to 4 hours.

I rode off, with 5+ gallons in the tank and two bars showing. I filled half way home, like 70 miles later, and it showed full. Seems to be working OK since.

I figured the BMW might be a little glitchy, looking at BMW's car reliability ratings on Consumer Reports and JD Power.

Back when Diamler owned Dodge, they ran those ads about how German engineering was going to make Dodge mini vans better. They should have been using Dodge engineering to make Mercedes more reliable.

They do know how to make vehicles that are fun to drive (or ride) though, and I think a lot of people would be willing to put up with the occasional glitch for that.

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #54
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,458
add me and my brand new r1200gs se to the list

took delivery of the motorcycle last weekend, and supposedly delivered with a full tank of gas. put about 185 mi on her that weekend with the fuel gauge reading 1/3 remaining (i wasn't familiar with a "fuel gauge problem" six days into ownership). so i ventured back to the dealership this Saturday morning to pick up some stuff, the distance being about 23 miles away, didn't see it as being a problem.....well, i was wrong .....ran out of gas right at 200 miles on the odometer, and on a very busy expressway which did not have a shoulder to pull off of. by the way, THERE WAS NO WARNING LIGHT OF ANY KIND alerting me to fact that i was low on fuel.

what upsets me the most outside of me not having filled up is the fact that i spent $18k on a brand new German engineered (touring) motorcycle that can't keep track of the fuel level in its gas tank. hec, even my engineering starved Ducati Multistrada could tell me how much gas I had in the tank. ya, i have a little less confidence in the bike overall, that's for sure.

what worries me most? the fact that i might have to have it repaired multiple times in order to be able to use it as one should.

i get the trip meter thing (learned that early on), but i don't understand trying to justify away the problem. the fuel gauge should work, and should be yet another safeguard of sorts. hec, at this point i don't even believe the odometer reading.......

kinda too bad, especially for the new owner.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #55
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez
i get the trip meter thing (learned that early on), but i don't understand trying to justify away the problem. the fuel gauge should work, and should be yet another safeguard of sorts. hec, at this point i don't even believe the odometer reading.......

kinda too bad, especially for the new owner.
Agreed.

Call/write to BMW. They've gotten LOTS of the hard stuff right, but can't seem to get some of the easy/stupid stuff right.

Let 'em know....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #56
Adam Arcane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I had mine replaced at 600 miles. At 8,500, no further problems. This is weight-saving tech. It's a ribbon that senses fuel level. It's not that accurate, but so what - the bike is awesome. Many times these complex machines need tweaking before they're right. The odometer is the way to go. 100,000 on my 1100GS and the odometer never let me down. Great machine you've got there. But the fuel gauge is only accurate up to a point. The odometer you can take to the bank.
Adam Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #57
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Arcane
...But the fuel gauge is only accurate up to a point. The odometer you can take to the bank.
This is a rather broad brush statement, IMO. The odometer method can be as inaccurate as a bad fuel gauge sensor, as the mileage/tank varies widely depending on the type of riding you're doing throughout that particular tankful. Using a 200-mile rule-of-thumb, for example, can really get you in trouble if you're doing 90MPH on the slab vs. off-pavement vs. somewhere between, or a combination of, riding situations. Headwinds and tailwinds make a huge difference as well, particularly at high speeds. Let's face it - the fuel gauge should work and if it doesn't, you should continue demanding the dealer and BMW to resolve it. It's an oversimplification to characterize this fuel gauge issue as unimportant under the premise that the odometer reading can easily substitute for it.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #58
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Agreed.

Call/write to BMW. They've gotten LOTS of the hard stuff right, but can't seem to get some of the easy/stupid stuff right.

Let 'em know....

thanks for this, and it's what i did.

had the fuel sensor strip replaced during the 600mi service and it has worked flawlessly since (500mi, three tank fill-ups).

BMW North America also paid me a call after i completed the customer service questionnaire that my dealer sent me. i very much appreciated that phone call and thanked him for his time.

i'll post the same in other fuel gauge related threads: it is true that we only tend to hear about the failures and not those experiencing success. many bikes come with flaws from the factory (a couple of my Ducati's did) and this happens to be one of them. at the end of the day, the problem has a fix and one which can be completed in a day, and hopefully while under warranty.

peace
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #59
tankdedog
tank dog

Oddometer: 57
06 r1200gs

Different problem, anybody seen this, always use tripmeter shows bang up full until about 100 miles, then drops to half and seems to work ok, bought the bike with 6800 miles on it from a dealer, don,t know if it's always been like this or not
tankdedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #60
Hardrocker
Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer: 462
I give up, but want to get rid of the warning light

My bike is now out of warranty and the fuel gage reads emply with the yellow warning light and flashing DTE going continuously. I am OK with using the odometer, but want to get rid of the warning light and flashing DTE.

An earlier post talked about the resistance provided by the fuel level strip. I want to install a resistor in place of the fuel level strip that will show the fuel level at something besides empy.

Does anyone have an idea as to what resistance is needed, and which pair of the four wires leading to the strip one would attach to the resistor?