Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,577
I don't want to temp fate.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #92
dwright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I had some goofy fuel gauge/range counter problems with my '08 1200GS. Sometimes the range indicator would actually count upwards, as if fuel were mysteriously appearing in my tank from out of the ether.

Had the sensor replaced twice under warranty (which didn't seem to help much). Then someone at my shop suggested that I reset the average MPG indicator and the average speed indicator every time I fill the tank (y'know-- hold down the "info" button until it zeroes out ). The thinking was, if you keep the averages running continuously for too long the computer gets confused.

Since then, I've been getting much more reasonable numbers on my range counter.

Of course, no one is acknowledging it as an "official" fix. It's all voodoo.

--D
dwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #93
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright
dThen someone at my shop suggested that I reset the average MPG indicator and the average speed indicator every time I fill the tank (y'know-- hold down the "info" button until it zeroes out ).
--D
Says to do that in the owners book.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #94
Papz_65
BXR

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright
I had some goofy fuel gauge/range counter problems with my '08 1200GS. Sometimes the range indicator would actually count upwards, as if fuel were mysteriously appearing in my tank from out of the ether.

Had the sensor replaced twice under warranty (which didn't seem to help much). Then someone at my shop suggested that I reset the average MPG indicator and the average speed indicator every time I fill the tank (y'know-- hold down the "info" button until it zeroes out ). The thinking was, if you keep the averages running continuously for too long the computer gets confused.

Since then, I've been getting much more reasonable numbers on my range counter.

Of course, no one is acknowledging it as an "official" fix. It's all voodoo.

--D
Well only the designer knows how it should work.
But my guesses is that the fuel sensor is a reading only device and has nothing to do with the range counter.
The range counter check the fuel gauge and average MPG indicator to calculate the range.
Since the gas tank is actually two connected tanks and the sensor in only one of them,there’s a possibilty for missreading,at least for a short while. Missreading gives ofcourse bad counting. But also not reseting MPG indicator could give bad counting.

I’m not to concerned about bad counting, but if the sensor doesn’t work I get pissed
Papz_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #95
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Dwright, it's completely possible for the range indicator to go up, and that doesn't mean it's broken. It calculates range based on the mpg you've been getting and on how much gas is left in the tank. If your driving conditions change, such as if you were in stop-and-go traffic for a while, where mpg was poor, but then get on an unobstructed highway where mpg becomes good, indicated range will go up since you can now get more range on the remaining gas in the tank than you would have gotten if you'd stayed in the stop and go traffic. Of course all it can do is estimate range assuming conditions remain as they are at the moment. It can't predict what will happen if conditions change in the future. You need to remember that when interpreting what it says. its reading is meaningless unless conditions have been stable for a while.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #96
RoyBatty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yep... mine just went at 10,000 miles

Filled up on Sunday. Sat in the garage till today (Friday) and at
startup the gauge reads nothing along with the yellow triangle.

Just called the dealer (BMW Ventura) and they said "bring it in - it's
under warranty". I told him that I did not purchase the extended
warranty and he said "doesn't matter - bring it in we'll get it fixed".

I'm going in tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

09' R1200GS
May your journey be filled with adventure, and free from incident. Well OK... maybe a little incident.
-
RoyBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #97
RoyBatty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yep.. it was a warranty item

I brought it in today and they replaced the sensor. It was about an hour and a half of work but the warranty covered it.

The ride home was about 60 miles and it seemed to be working fine.

Based on the other posts though, I'm wondering just how long it's going to last.
May your journey be filled with adventure, and free from incident. Well OK... maybe a little incident.
-
RoyBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #98
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,298
Thumbs down Ethanol fuel postings on pumps

With the recent comments of my service department that Ethanol may be the culprit in fuel gauge failures, I have begun to notice which fuel brands have ethanol.

First of all, is it not a federal law the gas stations must have it posted on the pump as to the presence of ethanol of their fuel?

In my town, the cheaper brands all have posted that they have "up to 10%" in their fuel. Also Exxon has ethanol. But here only BP and Chevron / Texaco do not. So I was thinking ok from now on I will try to use those brands only in my GS and add techtron from time to time even though Chevron/Texaco have already.

But on a recent trip, I pulled into a Chevron in another town and they have posted " up to 10%" ethanol. So can different Chevron stations have different blends?

Looks like then it would be a royal pain in the ass to find gas without ethanol, so guess I will just have to rely on adding the techtron now and then.

But then again, I am not aware of any proof that ethanol is causing the damage to the fuel sensor.

It is also dishearting to know that an Adventure Bike would be so relianant on top grade fuel.
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #99
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Personally I am not convinced that the fuel strip problem is based on ethanol on the fuel.

As for the need for top grade fuel, I have never used it in any BMW, only regular, and with over 300K miles on them combined, never an issue.

Jim

PS I understand, unconfirmed, that the 2010 R1200GS has now come back to using a float instead of a fuel strip, like the 05 to mid 06.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #100
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Personally I am not convinced that the fuel strip problem is based on ethanol on the fuel.

As for the need for top grade fuel, I have never used it in any BMW, only regular, and with over 300K miles on them combined, never an issue.

Jim

PS I understand, unconfirmed, that the 2010 R1200GS has now come back to using a float instead of a fuel strip, like the 05 to mid 06.
Float system comes back in 2011..2010 is same fuel strip (check parts list for 2010GS) Seems like it takes a few years to redesign the wheel!

Joe
Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #101
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano
Float system comes back in 2011..2010 is same fuel strip (check parts list for 2010GS) Seems like it takes a few years to redesign the wheel!

Joe
Might be a mid-year change. I met someone at a rally recently with a spanking new 2010 that said his is a float. Again, not verified. Might be GS and not yet GSA as well.

Jim
Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #102
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
Fuel guage issue 09 BMW 1200gsa

I had the same issue, was driving and ran out of gas when fuel guage read 1/4 tank.

Brought to dealer and the replaced the sensor strip.

They told me it reads via temperature in the tank.

And they had mentioned to make sure I run the tank down unitil I get the yellow light. Then fill it up. And to repet the procedure about three times.
And mechanic said not fill up/top off tank when tank is 1/2 full etc.
It will eventually learn I was told.

He did say that it does go against common sense. When one is in the middle of knowwhere and one has 1/2 tank and there is a gas station to your right, one would fill up to be on the safe side.

And he mentioned to always go by your mileage rather than fully trust your guage.

I was a bit dissappointed since BMW was considerd quality equipment. Never had any kind of issue on any of my other bikes in the past.

Still love it though...

Mike
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #103
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,956
09 1200 Adventure, full computer. Happened this morning right when I started it. 2700 miles or so. Sometimes it shows full, most of the time nothing. Except the flashing yellow triangle of course!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #104
sempergumby
lean green adv machine...

Oddometer: 28
Pissed Ok, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano

Joe
I guess the next question is, if they are finally able come up with a practical solution, will the older fuel strip bikes get retrofitted..?

But I guess step #1 is for them to actually fix the problem...

Ride safe,

~ Steve
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #105
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempergumby
I guess the next question is, if they are finally able come up with a practical solution, will the older fuel strip bikes get retrofitted..?

But I guess step #1 is for them to actually fix the problem...

Ride safe,

~ Steve
I doubt it, the new float is 2 wire while the sensor strip is 4 wire. This being a Canbus bike I doubt they are interchangeable.

Jim