Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotevah
Someone was quick to point out that I managed to dump the SM on the pavement after keeping it upright on dirt all the way to WMRS and back. But in my defense, that is no pavement! I had a direction change in mind but didn't quite fully commit to it so the result is this:

Attachment 180868
I can TOTALLY empathize with you, and even one up to a degree.

After riding probably 300+ in the dirt I have a parking lot tipover that did more damage than I've done to a bike in a long time. No pics b/c I was so pissed. Broke the damn passenger peg, hand guard, bent the bars out of place, nicked the final drive, and dinged the skid plate pretty good. Grrrrrrr...

Although I have just noted that the official bike destroyer for this event has not told his story of woe just yet. So G funk, about that valve cover....

Dude, you are the sacrificial lamb it seems every year. Please tell me you are coming again next year...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Had a GREAT! time, the camping was awsome. And im so glad I brought my warmer sleeping bag, it got cold. Have passed through here many times while doing the Benton loop. Have noticed this campground and have alway's wanted to camp here, thanks Stonewall !

Sunrise as seen from my Pico.

Sunday morning valve adjustment, ended up not being my problem. Pretty sure its my L/H cam chain tensioner.

After adjusting my valves I packed it up and headed home a day early with my friend Mike. Bike ran great and got me home without any more problems.

Many more pictures in my Webshots just click on the link below.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100

ownst1100 screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 06:57 PM
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #19
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
I can TOTALLY empathize with you, and even one up to a degree.

After riding probably 300+ in the dirt I have a parking lot tipover that did more damage than I've done to a bike in a long time. No pics b/c I was so pissed. Broke the damn passenger peg, hand guard, bent the bars out of place, nicked the final drive, and dinged the skid plate pretty good. Grrrrrrr...

Although I have just noted that the official bike destroyer for this event has not told his story of woe just yet. So G funk, about that valve cover....

Dude, you are the sacrificial lamb it seems every year. Please tell me you are coming again next year...
Maybe we should sub-title the event "The G-Funk bike carnage extravaganza" I gotta give the guy some props though. He takes all of this woe in good spirits.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #20
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
.......made it home bitches, let's start hearing the lies
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Just got in myself. Had a hell of a trip! I am glad to have met up with all my friends from SoCal, and NorCal. Now if I can just put these pictures up

What's the story on the rider down just outside the campground, involving a bovine without its lights on? Heard he is ok??

Thanks Stonewall for putting this all together again this year.

Spafxer
jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Thumb Whooping cough wonder boy!!

Sally,
Bob (AnySunday) on the 950 SE, Allen on the 950 SE (screen name?) & I (12GSA) camped next to you, so we were able to enjoy your whooping cough black lung shit you brought with you. It was fun riding with you up to WMRS. That ride offered so much for you from the 100+ mph dirt straights to the rocky tight switch backs & some deep water crossings. You were much harder on yourself of your dirt skills, give yourself more credit, you handled everything well. I was glad you came along so I had a partner to wait with as the GSA's cooled down in the shade up to WMRS.

Props to Stonewall. I was thinking on the way home today, had this event not happened, I would have missed 3 full days of epic riding and great commeraderie. Thanks for putting up with us FF's. Looking forward to next year!!

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
Home safe and recovering. I got home at 10:00pm last night after hauling butt to make it that early.

Too many people to thank. First of all is Stonewall. He shows that we can get an event together and it be nothing short of amazing and not a big logistical mess like poor treadless had to deal with for WARPED.

The last person I'd like to thank is Jake (dustjunky?). With this damn lung bit I've had and travel for work, I'm not in the best shape of my life and he took the GS about 20 yards that I just needed a break from going up Silver Canyon. I feel like a pansy, but it has certainly forced me to want to get well and back in shape (hopefully hitting the gym tonight).

In between, all the guys I rode with who I only kind of knew based on screen names who were very patient and willing to take a pansy noob along with them. Henry, John, Danny, Jake, Dave and the guys I camped next to but never got names from. All of you are tops and a ton of fun to hang out with.

This was easily in my top 5 riding experiences and defined adventure riding for me.
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,271
What a super weekend

This camp site is really well located for all kinds of things to do: fishing, boating, Mammoth, Yosemite, bicycling, Mono Lake, not to mention the unparalleled road and off-road riding potential.
There will be TONS of photos.. I'll put up just a few that might not make it in other posts:

Dana (IdeaMan) and I made it to camp late Friday pm. We climbed up to the bluff just to the south of camp:
The camp area:

IdeaMan couldn't resist the photo op from up there.

Friday evening, the SoCal boyz invited us Nortenos to Sito's famous Carne Asada feed. Whoa.. this meal DID NOT SUCK! Thanks to h8chains for the invitation and to Sito and his crew for the most excellent cookery!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.

dyvking screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 09:08 PM
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Just got in myself. Had a hell of a trip! I am glad to have met up with all my friends from SoCal, and NorCal. Now if I can just put these pictures up

What's the story on the rider down just outside the campground, involving a bovine without its lights on? Heard he is ok??

Thanks Stonewall for putting this all together again this year.

Spafxer
jim
back in the planning thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...343294&page=32

aren't those cows expensive? I'd think the rancher would be pissed and might ask you to buy it...
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

super weekend, con't

Saturday, we road up to the ghost town of Bodie:
There's much to see there. At one point, there were 10,000 people living here with something like 65 saloons. An ADV paradise!

While a number of riders went up there, we all took different routes out. IdeaMan and I took the short 10-mile ride back down to Hwy 167:

IdeaMan on the Bodie road with Mono Lake in the background:

After hitting Hwy 167, we went around Mono on Hwy 120 to pick up the famous 'whoops' ride down to Benton

where we grabbed a sandwich and returned to camp via Benton Crossing Road.

Saturday eve, we rode down to Red's Meadow for a great BBQ there. SOOOO much food! A few of the front runners on the road down to Reds from Mammoth:

Joel arrived looking WAY too clean for the riding he claimed he did. In fact, he had to fight off a few FFs to protect himself and his food:

dyvking screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 09:11 PM
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

what a super weekend, con't

Sunday IdeaMan and I got up and left camp early as I wanted to make the hike up to the summit of White Mountain.
We went the 'easy way' from the visitor's center. It's about 20 miles of dirt with super scenery all along:

After arriving at the research station, I quickly swapped out my Sidi's for a set of Merrell's and took off on the 11-mile round trip to the Summit Lab:
The tallest peak in the background is White Mountain Summit:

The first part of the hike is pretty easy. Most of the elevation change happens in the last two miles so that part is steep and hard work at that altitude, but worth every drop of sweat for views like this (No.. not me, the country itself!)

After arriving at the summit, I immediately claimed the mountain in the name of ADV! :

My GPS indicated 14,246 feet altitude up there.
There were researchers up there who took some vital stats for a project to determine why some folks get altitude sickness and others don't.

I later found out that RiverRat also made the climb. Did any other FFs make it up besides us?

dyvking screwed with this post 08-07-2008 at 11:28 AM
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
allengt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder
Sally,
Bob (AnySunday) on the 950 SE, Allen on the 950 SE (screen name?) & I (12GSA) camped next to you, so we were able to enjoy your whooping cough black lung shit you brought with you. It was fun riding with you up to WMRS. That ride offered so much for you from the 100+ mph dirt straights to the rocky tight switch backs & some deep water crossings. You were much harder on yourself of your dirt skills, give yourself more credit, you handled everything well. I was glad you came along so I had a partner to wait with as the GSA's cooled down in the shade up to WMRS.

Bill
Sally,
It was great riding with you and here is the evidence of your dirt skills.

Here you are ripping it in Red Rock Canyon.

And the water crossing in Silver Canyon.

When we saw you leaving camp at 5 in the afternoon it must have been a long ride home!
08 KTM 530 EXC-R (now AWD)
allengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

super weekend, con't

Sunday evening, upon returning from the Research lab ride, we discovered that a fire had broken out over near Mammoth:
Smoke was pouring over the campground, but by late evening the wind shifted and carried the smoke elsewhere:

Then.. worst of worst, we hear a short tire screech, a big thump and dead silence over on the roadway, just 1/4 mile from camp. Jeff, Connestogaman, had slammed into a cow. Those black buggers were everywhere, and just impossible to see. Jeff did all he could to avoid, but still managed to slam his midsection into the bars. It took just a few minutes before 'the world' arrived to help Jeff.
Here's what the scene looked like in the dark:

The whole front end of his bike is basically gone. The cow lost the war. Jeff went to the hospital, followed all the way in by his riding partner Tosh (whom, by the way, is a dude you would really like to be able to claim as a riding partner. He never left Jeff alone, handled all the ground work that goes along with this kind of incident, with never a bitch or moan about any of it. Good on ya, Tosh.

I was overjoyed the next morning to see this neat balloon hovering near the camp as it seemed to be a good omen:

We were right. A short cell call to Tosh who stayed over at Mammoth Hosp. that confirmed that Connestogaman would be ok with some healing time.

IdeaMan and I headed home late Monday morning with a quick stop at the IndianWells Brewery on Hwy 14 South of Ridgecrest. Highly recommended!

That's it from me for now!
Looking forward to everyone else's reports
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,927
Random pics

When one more beer is just too many

Look at those peaks and valleys

Nice, very nice....

Here's another one from a different angle

More pics here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...356150&page=23
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #30
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk
Show me the money, Bitches....
Okay, here you go....

and

Oh wait, you said, "Show me the MONEY...." My bad.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote