Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
Uriel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by are12c
I've been lurking on a lot of different forums trying my best to learn as much as I can about the new F-GS twin motorcycles. I may have missed it but I've heard absolutely nothing about steering head bearing failres.
There is quite a discussion on UKGSers.com about clonking forks. It has been suggested on there that it could be the head bearings. IIRC someone just posted to say that they needed to have theirs retorqued and that cured it. Not failures as such, but a potential for problems.

Mine is currently sitting, waiting for it's 600 mile service, but I noticed during that 600 miles that my forks started to clonk. Got more noticable as the miles went on, but that could be just me getting settled on the bike, and maybe throwing it about a bit more. Regardless, it's something I'm going to bring up when I drop it off on Friday.

2008 BMW F800GS
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel
There is quite a discussion on UKGSers.com about clonking forks. It has been suggested on there that it could be the head bearings. IIRC someone just posted to say that they needed to have theirs retorqued and that cured it. Not failures as such, but a potential for problems.

Mine is currently sitting, waiting for it's 600 mile service, but I noticed during that 600 miles that my forks started to clonk. Got more noticable as the miles went on, but that could be just me getting settled on the bike, and maybe throwing it about a bit more. Regardless, it's something I'm going to bring up when I drop it off on Friday.
I do remember that now, thanks.

My GF's 97 F650ST was clonking once. I torqued the top nut and we've had no problems since. Maybe (hopefully) it's a simple fix.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel

Hey, Uriel

Saw your pics of the panniers. Persuaded me to go for them too.

Got my 600 service next week. How much for yours (if you don't mind me asking)?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #19
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
I was really considering going for the F800ST. I test rode them 3 times and spent time lurking on the 800 forums. There sure are a lot of recurring problems; the most troubling appears to be the top end leaks.

I know the internet blows problems way out of proportion, but I have learned, if a bike has the potential for a particular problem, come hell or high water, mine with have it

I guess I just live right, or not
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopoetve
How has longevity and reliability been for the company?
Far better than most, considering more BMWs have circumnavigated planet earth than all other brands put together.

The only BMW that has left me stranded was when it was 21 years old. The original rear wheel bearings finally failed. Yeah I know, crappy quality control. Those suckers should have lasted at least 25 years.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by are12c
So if a BMW lasts longer than a Japanese bike (and I understand that some last longer than others on both sides of this equation), how do you factor that in on cost?
Lots of variable there: retail price, depreciation, maintenance costs, miles ridden, resale value, etc. Yes?

I wonder how long the average person keeps his bike. Me, I don't think I've kept a bike more than 3 years max.
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Urm... you? The OP asked about the F650/800GS so WTF has R model shaft drive got to do with it?

Seems to me you're also talking out of your ass as you seem to know nothing about the new twins. You wanna bash BMW? Fine. It speaks more about you than it does the bike.
And one response was about the shaft drive machines. Fair to consider and a possible indication of what one *might* expect in the new machines, since the twins are too new to know how they will hold up or what problems will arise. How much do you know about the new twins? Those of us in the US know very little at this point, especially the GS's.

Who's bashing BMW? Expensive? Yes. Weird problems that shouldn't happen? You bet. Costly to repair? Sure enough. Simple facts, not bashing.

It is BMW's philosophy that creates these issues with their motorcycles. Experience-based concerns with a shaft drive machine would naturally give rise to other models, shaft drive or no.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopoetve
my only problem with the strom is just that they're, well, so soulless... :( No offense at all to them, they just never did much for me. Maybe the 1000, since I mostly rode the 650. Hows the 1k off-road? not single track, just fire-road/double track/gravel?
The 650 is about the most boring bike available for sale. Every time I see one, I"m amazed that the owner is so easy to please. The DL1k is more exciting but mine had poor fueling and poor shifting which some do. The lunatic fringe Strom owners claim both can be sorted out with a lot of work and some money. I felt the Strom very comfortable and a great value, but I'd rather pay more and get more. So I did.

The little GS's are new so there is no reliability figures which are real, but the engines are Rotax which are plain terrific. My G-X Rotax is a single 650. I run it at 80 mph for hours at a time and it burns no oil. Also many guys use Rotax engines (different models!!) for their ultra light airplanes so they think they are reliable.

If I were looking for the one bike do it all, I'd look at the Kwak Versys and the new BMW GS series.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
Far better than most, considering more BMWs have circumnavigated planet earth than all other brands put together.
Can you back this up with facts?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #25
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy
Can you back this up with facts?
Prove otherwise.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

The only BMW that has left me stranded was when it was 21 years old. The original rear wheel bearings finally failed. Yeah I know, crappy quality control. Those suckers should have lasted at least 25 years.
mine was 11 thousand pounds 22 thousand dollers
i wouldnt trust it to go the shop for a pint of milk .........
Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,883
Quote:

gee your website states you bought a 2nd 1150GS Adventure because they stopped making them. How many can you ride at the same time? Or are you afraid it won't last long?

which is it? tell us oh brainwashed one.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
How many can you ride at the same time? Or are you afraid it won't last long?
I'm not worried, but I can put you in touch with someone that has gone on two RTW tours with his airhead GS. Hell, his driveshaft even lasted 142,000 kilometers, far longer than two sets of chains and sprockets.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
lawbag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
800 Gs

I like the idea of a chain drive. Chain technology has come a long way. I'm over 22.000 mile on the original chain on one of my ducati's. Dead simple to adjust and you can carry a spare with no problems. Try to carry a spare drive shaft or final drive. JMO
lawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #30
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
In the last Iron Butt there was a Victory Vison entered. I think that the stock bike weighs 900 pounds, but this bike was entered in the Iron Butt so it was carrying extra fuel and everything that might be need for two weeks riding any where in North America. Not the bike that most would choose to ride "off road".

There was a bonus location to Bristle Cone Pine forrest to vist the oldest living tree in the world. The road to the bonus is twelve miles of of rock, dirt and pot holes.

The fully loaded Victory Vision made the 24 miles round trip with no problems. It wasn't because this is a good off road bike, but because there was a real good rider on this bike.

This was a long way of answering your question about how "good" is the V Strom off road. My answer is it depends on how good a rider is on the V strom.
I just rode that road in daytime and hit around 65mph on the straights but didnt feel very smart doing it,I was riding a DR 650 with street tires on it which seemed to work well for some odd reason. the bristlecone pines were neat to see. I had a V-Strom 1000 and it didnt seem like any more of a dirt bike then any 500lb street bike Ive had. But Im a two stroke dirt bike guy. If your careful any streetbike can work ok on dirt roads.