Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #61
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
I had no idea BMW made such unreliable motorcycles, I would have guessed just the opposite. I had mixed emotions in '05 when the search for my next "perfect" for me bike ended at a BMW dealer. I had never even ridden a BMW, and had never spent that much money for a motorcycle either. The test ride sealed the deal however, and 29K miles later I am still loving it, and still waiting for something to break or go wrong. I breathe a sigh of relief every time it makes it back home.

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly not an add for BMW. To be brutally honest if I had known back then my now ex-wife was gonna ruin me financially, and I would not need a 2up adventure touring bike, I'd still be riding my KLR... I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if you don't have the money it takes to own and maintain a BMW, or a Honda for that matter, then don't buy them.

I've learned to sit back and take it all with a grain of salt here, it really is quite comical at times. Guys bragging about their bikes being faster than brand x by a cunt hair....I mean really ...woop de friggen do...and 20lbs lighter like it means they can moto-x their 480lb bike and your 500lb bike shouldn't leave the pavement... Then there's, "I can buy 3 of mine for the price of yours"....who gives a chit, ride all three at one time if you really want to impress someone.....

Took a while for me to figure out that if Joe Blow wants to spend 100K for a piece of azz jewelry he rides 100 miles a year on special occasions in pretty weather it's his business, and if it makes him happy then hooray for Joe... But hey, at least I figured it out...(hint hint)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #62
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,389
Pissed

I have had 2 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki, 3 Hondas and 3 BMWs. Never had a problem with any of them. Check the bike out before you leave the house! I pack gear for sleeping in the desert for a day or 2 if I get stranded on a solo voyage - someone will come along sooner or later. Isint this the reason we go adventure travelling in the first place. If you are afraid of getting caught in the wild - ride on the highway...lots of help and good cell phone coverage!.....

After reading this gloom and doom I think I sould cancel the F800gs and crawl under a rock.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #63
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide
I've learned to sit back and take it all with a grain of salt here, it really is quite comical at times. Guys bragging about their bikes being faster than brand x by a cunt hair....I mean really ...woop de friggen do...and 20lbs lighter like it means they can moto-x their 480lb bike and your 500lb bike shouldn't leave the pavement... Then there's, "I can buy 3 of mine for the price of yours"....who gives a chit, ride all three at one time if you really want to impress someone.....
So much so that I cancelled my subscription to the Comedy Network...hey, laughs on ADVRider are free.

BTW, you forgot the "how wide are your chicken strips" and "how many miles in a day" threads. But they do have their use. Now I know who my heros are.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #64
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
... I breathe a sigh of relief every time it makes it back home.
It's hell, isn't it? The cost of a status symbol.
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #65
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy
Oh, is that what it is....I could have sworn they sold those down the street at the potato potato costume outlet store......oh well, I guess I can use all the help I can get living in a house that used to have wheels on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #66
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,556
Quote:
Look up the word "irony" in a dictionary.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #67
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,882
Quote:
....I could have sworn they sold those down the street at the potato potato costume outlet store......
Best HD stealership reference ever. I'll bet even Bueller would like that one.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #68
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
That it would be, but only to those who need to be seen...as in dough-nut shop hang-outs. But that would apply to any brand when it comes to those types of riders, if you can call them that.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #69
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I don't mean to stir the pot so to speak but I seem to remember reading, possibly on this forum, or hearing that BMW was having some of there engines built in China. Can anyone confirm this as true or that its a made up rumor.
Dudley
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #70
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I also am in the market for a new bike to ride to Alaska and the Maritine provences of Canada. The problem that I have with the new bikes out there is that they are too complex for me. Fly by wire throttles, fuel injection, etc. Last year I road the length of Baja then over to Creel and the Copper Canyon and back up to Phoenix. I was on my trusty XR650L and when the battery failed on a friends new BMW G-650 X-Country we took my battery and installed it in the BMW. We had to bump start my Honda but then it ran perfectly. Because of that experience I think I'll buy a Transalp. Simple, can repair most things on the side of the road and it will run without a battery. I already checked out the KTM 690E and will pass on that for now and I'll check out the F800GS when it arrives and I will be tempted but I believe the temptation will pass.
Dudley
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #71
Uriel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Got my 600 service next week. How much for yours (if you don't mind me asking)?
Just dropped it off tonight and they said 59.80. That's Cooper Mill Sunderland.

2008 BMW F800GS
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #72
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,239
Cool2

I too, faced your dilema 3 months ago. I had a strom that I had to put a new motor in, not under a warranty at 30,000 miles. I heard the reliabilty horror stories of the few, but most folk don't seem to have trouble with their BMWs. No vehicle is perfect, but at least BMW takes care of their bikes and are good about standing behind warranties! I for one, will NEVER buy anything Suzuki again! I have almost 3,000 miles on my GSA and can say I love this bike more than any other I have owned or ridden.....
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #73
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I don't mean to stir the pot so to speak but I seem to remember reading, possibly on this forum, or hearing that BMW was having some of there engines built in China. Can anyone confirm this as true or that its a made up rumor.
Dudley
For now, G-series only.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #74
Tollster
Jammer Jay

Oddometer: 2,067
Don't do it, you'll be sorrrry!
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #75
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel
Just dropped it off tonight and they said 59.80. That's Cooper Mill Sunderland.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote