Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #76
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I seem to remember reading, possibly on this forum, or hearing that BMW was having some of there engines built in China. Can anyone confirm this as true or that its a made up rumor.
Dudley
The last update I got said the new scooters built in China in a joint venture between BMW & Harley Davidson should be in the USA by late '09. Supposedly BMW sent their engine(ers) to China to assist in the joint effort. I can't confirm any of this mind you but was told by an insider that the scooters would be offered in two models.

The FXRDBBPOS, (aka Bling Bling or BB) will be sold exclusively at Harley dealerships. It is a low slung, chromed out street only version with a MSRP of $20,205.00

BMW dealers get the R205GSASS, (aka adventure super scooter, or ASS) which has a euro paint scheme, enduro tires, adjustable windshield, GPS, ABS, PITA, etc, etc, etc. The MSRP is unknown but should be a little less than the BB.
They will be shipped in crates packed with Harley clothes, boots, trinkets, stickers, emblems, etc, etc, to cut down on costs. As soon as one of them runs long enough to make it out of the plant we'll get a spy photo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #77
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide
The last update I got said the new scooters built in China in a joint venture between BMW & Harley Davidson should be in the USA by late '09. Supposedly BMW sent their engine(ers) to China to assist in the joint effort. I can't confirm any of this mind you but was told by an insider that the scooters would be offered in two models.

The FXRDBBPOS, (aka Bling Bling or BB) will be sold exclusively at Harley dealerships. It is a low slung, chromed out street only version with a MSRP of $20,205.00

BMW dealers get the R205GSASS, (aka adventure super scooter, or ASS) which has a euro paint scheme, enduro tires, adjustable windshield, GPS, ABS, PITA, etc, etc, etc. The MSRP is unknown but should be a little less than the BB.
They will be shipped in crates packed with Harley clothes, boots, trinkets, stickers, emblems, etc, etc, to cut down on costs. As soon as one of them runs long enough to make it out of the plant we'll get a spy photo...
GOOD ONE...
The D man
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #78
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154536
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #79
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,046
I've owned six different BMWs now, with my seventh (an F658GS) on order - none have ever had a significant issue.

I worked at a BMW dealer for over 5 years - I could count on less than two hands the number of ride ending issues that I've seen with the bikes, with a majority being the final drive failure. (and because I left just prior to the EWS days)

Nothing is as bad as what you read, but shit does happen all of the time. If you want something uber-reliable, go buy a jap bike, but even then it's still a roll of the dice with only marginally better odds I'd say.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #80
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
The only modern bike which stranded me was a DL1k. Twice. I had FD issues with one GS but BMW addressed it (after a bit of a fuss). It never stranded me.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #81
Yad
yet another dave

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
The only modern bike which stranded me was a DL1k. Twice.
What happened?

Mine's never had a hiccup, but it's young - just a year and 9k miles. Whatever's off with these bikes I'd like to hear about it (and ideally try to prevent it).
thanks,
dave
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #82
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
After a higher speed run of over an hour and then running moderate speed (like on a freeway for an hour and then move through a town) the bike just stopped. It started running roughly and then stopped. Twice.

The fans said it's a known issue fixable with a $400 PC III. Bah. The shifting was always crapppy. The fans said I need to shim the rear wheel because Zook doesn't align the swingarm or the swingarms are bent or something. Bah.

I tried a Tiger 1050 and then the Strom felt like a piece of farm machinery in compare. So my wife says you really want that Tiger and I'll buy it for you. Goodbye Strom.

On the good side, the Strom was enormously comfortable.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #83
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,371
Cool2

Slide, I did all that bullshit on my strom too with the spacers on the axle, put Wilber springs front and rear...Mine had a habit of turning off at speed but dealer could never figure it out!!! Like I said, I am done with Suk.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #84
Yad
yet another dave

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
After a higher speed run of over an hour and then running moderate speed (like on a freeway for an hour and then move through a town) the bike just stopped. It started running roughly and then stopped. Twice.

The fans said it's a known issue fixable with a $400 PC III. Bah. The shifting was always crapppy. The fans said I need to shim the rear wheel because Zook doesn't align the swingarm or the swingarms are bent or something. Bah.

I tried a Tiger 1050 and then the Strom felt like a piece of farm machinery in compare. So my wife says you really want that Tiger and I'll buy it for you. Goodbye Strom.

On the good side, the Strom was enormously comfortable.
Thanks. Can't blame you, that's frustrating. Sounds like Suzuki lets too many bugs get through. My 2007 DL1k has been great, no shims or refueling, but that's not always the case and they should certainly step up.

love the Tiger. If I bin this one I'd look really hard at one of those.

Sorry to threadjack, back to your BMWfest! As for my contribution: I know exactly zero about the F bikes but by looks alone, I'm intrigued.

P.S. Awesome wife ya got there!

Yad screwed with this post 08-07-2008 at 05:30 PM
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #85
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 145
Rotax makes great motors, so this should be a very reliable bike. Its the first Beemer that has grabbed my attention. I will wait until next summer, after the public beta testers have had a chance to shake out any bugs, before I make a final decision on a purchase.
Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #86
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
What a fuc#in retard. To insult any rider. add Monkey Boy to my ignore list!

That's pretty thin skinned of you. Or have you completely lost all sense of humor?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #87
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Look up the word "irony" in a dictionary.
Hmm, I just did. All I could find was something about women and clothes and wrinkles...

Hey pilot, no worries. I sometimes have to ignore myself because I deserve it!
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #88
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy
Hmm, I just did. All I could find was something about women and clothes and wrinkles...

Hey pilot, no worries. I sometimes have to ignore myself because I deserve it!
Is VegasMick your fake noob?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #89
Monkey_Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
Is VegasMick your fake noob?
Who dat be?

I don't have a fake noob. Although it sounds like fun. But I already annoy the hell out of myself, who needs a fake noob?
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #90
Uriel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Picked it up tonight and it turns out they only charged 40.63, which was a pleasant surprise.

I mentioned the clonking forks when I dropped it off and they said they've checked everything over and there is nothing wrong with the bike and they've compared it with the other two 800s they had in and they're all identical.

2008 BMW F800GS
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote