User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
PirateT7 OP
Back on Two Wheels

Oddometer: 498
An Afternoon in Georgia

This certainly isn't a big deal compared to many of the trips posted by other inmates, but hey it was a beautiful day and I got out of the office early yesterday. We'd moved my son into his college apartment this past weekend but he'd forgotten a couple of little things - a perfect excuse for a ride. I took a camera along but of course didn't take as many pictures as I'd like, and I'm not yet comfortable shooting while riding. Anyway... I took the GPS along; here's the track (and clicking on it will get you the real map).

Once out of Atlana's traffic, the country road opened up nicely.

There was quite a delay near the town of Oak Hill, with traffic stopped due to road resurfacing. That was a little frustraing, but I was fortunate to be stopped in the shade of a large tree, right next to a couple of beauties set out on display:

Without too much delay things got moving again. I just happened to look down at the instrument panel at the right moment and had to stop for a photo.

It was a beautiful afternoon passing through the countryside, crossing Jackson Lake Lake Sinclair

and passing through small towns. Here's Monticello:

I did get to Milledgeville and had a nice dinner with my son and got on the way back home as the sun was going down. I'd passed an example of a cultural icon, the small country church, on my way and wanted to be sure I stopped on the way back. I hadn't noticed the power lines; I need to find another one that's without "modern" visual obstructions.

I'd started out about 3:30pm and returned home at about 10:45, it was a long day including work before the ride and dinner in the middle. Long but very satisfying.

PirateT7 screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 01:14 PM
PirateT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
jrodgolfer
Huge Member

Oddometer: 225
That small country church on Hwy 212 is about 200 yards from one of our inmates subdivision. Small world eh?
jrodgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
More?

I like these small threads... I'm a small thread poster and enjoy seeing peoples comments.

Great photos too.

More?

LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,944
I'm a Georgia College Alumnus - '76 (I actually started out in Class of '74, but had too much fun )

Some beautiful riding territory all throughout that part of the state. Some time when you repeat that ride and have time, try GA 11 from Monticello on up to Winder or continue from Winder on 53 on up to Braselton. GA11 is designated a Scenic Highway. And it is scenic and curvy.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,256
Nice report. Next time give me a shout and I'll buy you a meal

BTW, the shot of the lake is actually Lake Sinclair, and those homes you can see are in my neighborhood. Also, that church is about 2 miles from my house...I pass by it everyday on my way to work and I have yet to take a photo of it, because of those damn power lines! Gonna have to snap one anyway and get out Photoshop.

Thanks for the report!
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
PirateT7 OP
Back on Two Wheels

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad
BTW, the shot of the lake is actually Lake Sinclair, and those homes you can see are in my neighborhood.
thanks, I'll change my blog post and this thread #0 to be more accurate. I knew I crossed both and was pretty sure I remembered where I was when I got the pic, but I guess not. No big deal, and thanks for the correction. It's funny, 'cause I always text "crosssing Lake Sinclair" to twitter when I'm driving to/from Milledgeville, but it's usually on 114 from I20. This was my first time taking this route (as well as first time doing it on the bike), so everything was just a bit different.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
jcroker
CADman

Oddometer: 39
Georgia College Alumnus - 85

Your post brought back fond memories of many travels from home to school. Nice scenic country roads. Quaint little towns, especially Monticello.

I've been meaning to go back for a visit. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks
jcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,417
Beautiful ride in Georgia! Thanks for sharing
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
jeffk14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I enjoyed your pics. Funny coincedence, that map runs right past where I was riding my XT on Friday. I was playing around off of Hwy 16 in the nat'l forest just east of the Ocmulgee river. I'll probably go down there again this Friday. Thanks for the report!
jeffk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
You were close to my neck of the woods. I live in Gray.
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote