Warped 2008
BigBear to YuccaValley
Johnson Valley Memorial Day 2008
monkeytrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
You guys didn't happen to see this did you?

Was wondering if they ever got it out.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Onward...

NOTE: I took the hint of a couple of posters here and on the www.BendDualSport.com website tofind out what the spider looking thing was. You guys were on the right track for sure. I found a picture that looked exactly like the critter--it was a Wind Scorpionalso known as a Sun Spider, which is directly related to the camel spider, which turns out not to really be a spider at all. Not poisonous, but the website said his sting or bite packs a wallop of pain.

Man, Sunday evening after we got back, I was awfully tired. Yesterday, I slept in a little, cleaned the bike, fully serviced it and straigtened it out, and I am ready to go again!!

Greg, thanks for introducing me to the Henry's IPA...I bought a case and am enjoying a cold one right now.

So...we turn off of Highway 395 after our 100 yard respite from the rocks, to the grassy open moonscape covered in rocks of all sizes. The GPS track shows the way even though there is no road to see. Pretty soon we begin to climb up a rocky jeep trail to a Microwave station, and we pick up a road under a powerline road. It is rather smoky out (I am not sure from what), the road is littered in rocks and cows of all sizes. I still can't get into a groove of riding in the rocks with Jim and Greg getting way out in front of me.

Jim and Greg have a few pictures of the route along the powerline. I was a little too far behind to take time with pictures. Greg repaired his clutch cable again with another pair of Vise Grips, and we pushed on to Plush, Oregon, for gas.

We arrived (so far 186 miles total), got gas and asked what they had for food. "Well, we have a microwave, some microvave food like burritos and sanwiches, and some fruit pies," the guy said.

We asked the guy about the restaurant in Adel. All we got was, "Sometimes they're open, sometimes, they are not. Sometimes they have lunch, and sometimes, they don't."

We had a quick huddle and decided that it was worth the risk to go to Adel and confront what had been made out to be the Wicked Witch/King Dragon Woman of the Kingdom of South Eastern Oregon, rather than repeat the Christmas Valley Breakfast experience. It was 12:00 p.m. and the rumor was that the hours in Adel "vary according to the whims of the Wicked Witch, so we chose to slab 18 miles, the longest pavement stretch of the trip, to Adel.

A quick break on the way to Adel

Jim took some movies with his camera, and we made it to Adel, and the restaurant was open. We walked in and were greeted by a very nice lady who brought us drinks immediately, then made ourselves at home next to a group of four modern day cowboys. There were all drinking beer out of Mason Jars, except for the younges who looked about 16, who had a Coke or Root Beer. All of them had Wranglers on and straw cowbow hats.
The cowboys were cool, with the obvious leader of the cowboys asking us about our trip and telling us a little about the area.

When the lady got a moment, she came over to ask if we wanted lunch--note: it was not what we wanted to have for lunch, but if we wanted lunch or not. You have no choice, either you have what is made for the day, or you are relegated to Chiclets and Ding Dongs.

We didn't even ask, just said "Yes, three lunches, please." Here is what we got:

Baked Ziti with both mozzarella and ricotta, grilled french bread, and all the Coke we could drink for $7.50--with AWESOME service from a really nice lady.

The decor was interesting too--Jim has some photos of that.
It was a great place; everyone who walked in that door knew everyone else, some had lunch and some did not, and one person can in to borrow the lady's car.

We finished up and decided to top off since it was the last gas we world have until Cedarville, and good thing that we did...more on that later.

The lady serving lunch was way too busy, so she gave a customer a screwdriver to reset the gas pump so we could fill up. While we were waiting, another real cowbow showed up with spurs and the whole 9 yards.

I don't know what the rumors were all about. The restaurant in Adel was a gem and the lady is a diamond amongst all the rocks in the area. I would call is a "do not miss" if you are travelling through the area.

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.

AHRMA17L screwed with this post 08-05-2008 at 04:54 PM
AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroupDog
When Greg first posted this ride on Benddualsport.com I immediately jumped on it; Then I started second guessing my ability...
Jeez, man...this is your first dirt bike and you rode Harleys before--and you completely smoked us! I should never have told you about that 15 tooth countershaft sprocket!

Does this look like a guy who would do anything half way? The Stroupdog and retired Navy guy--Jim.

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.

AHRMA17L screwed with this post 08-05-2008 at 05:13 PM
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
brad21
Farting in a Fan

You obviously hit the witch during the right female cycle. We got there right about 2pm and I shit you not she about came stompin' out of the restaurant like a little kid that just dropped her ice cream cone. THEN I accidently re-set the pump in between me and Pegz filling up so I had to go back in and tell her "whoops, my bad" and off she went again so Wox could fill up. She told us that she was "out" of food so we filled up on Doritos, Mounatin Dew and Snickers bars, hung out just long enough to drag her away from her soap opera or whatever she was watching a couple of times and headed out.

Neat signs she has everywhere in there too huh? Jiminy crapness you'd think it was a preschool or something.

I think she just recognized Wox from previous trips and just plain ol' doesn't like him.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196
Thanks for the props Jon but I seem to remember you smoking me in the whoops on road 500! I was fighting arm fatique because we were about home and Greg had decided to take this whooped out curvy road 500 in EFR (the local boys will know which one) I hear something coming and then out of my peripherial vision there's Jon just haulin the bacon, the XR400s' suspension doing everything it could to take in the beating Jon was giving it.
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #22
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
You guys didn't happen to see this did you?

Was wondering if they ever got it out.
Nah, that thing was all dried up, and no signs of the rig.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Stroups XR650R is actually his second dirt bike IF you count a KLR650 as a dirt bike. Stroup, your right hand is as heavy as any I've seen. You handle that BRP like it was a 125. Do not doubt your skills. Just remember to ride inside your head. If we can't keep up, just wait for us at the junctions.

Where is day two?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Rd. 500 braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppppppp

Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Stroups XR650R is actually his second dirt bike IF you count a KLR650 as a dirt bike. Stroup, your right hand is as heavy as any I've seen. You handle that BRP like it was a 125. Do not doubt your skills. Just remember to ride inside your head. If we can't keep up, just wait for us at the junctions.

Where is day two?
Hey I only had the 08KLR for 2 months! And the BRP can only be riddin one way (wide open), Day two coming soon as we finish day one Patience young luke taco!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
you lucky fellas on Adel - I'm still packin a turd for that 'lady's' crapper, or maybe I just need to get there before noon.

more please!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #27
Buck Nasty
Rhinestone Cowboy

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHRMA17L
Jeez, man...this is your first dirt bike and you rode Harleys before--and you completely smoked us! I should never have told you about that 15 tooth countershaft sprocket!

Does this look like a guy who would do anything half way? The Stroupdog and retired Navy guy--Jim.

I make a nice addition to the background of that pic! Looks like fun guys, sorry I missed it! Thanks for the RR!

*2004 DRZ400S
www.benddualsport.com
*Honorary member of Team Oatmeal Pie!
My first mega ride..."Slabtastic Voyage"
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #28
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Background hell, you're the focal point.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #29
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

By the way...the Adel store/restaurant/gas station and I think 2 acres is all for sale. It can be yours for $389,000.

www.BendDualSport.com

Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #30
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Adel to Cedarville...

While were were filling up with gas, some guys on "adventure" bikes pull up past the store across the road. We all do the cursory nod to one another and head out south to my favorite part of the ride.

We head out of Adel past ranches and farms, the terrain become very open an desert like with even dry lake beds.

Here's Jim on the XR650R out on the dry lake.

And another:

Greg takes the gravel road, we meet back up with him and all of a sudden we hit the Nevada State Line:

Oregon on the left of the fence, Nevada on the right:

Jim and Greg:

We hammer the gravel road into Nevada and pass a sign that says to be careful, the closest services of any kind are 47 miles away.

Greg pulls off on a road to the East that is a great big wildlife refuge (I don't rememnber the name). There is a BLM type cabin there that is inhabited by mice and other rodents.

But I guess if you were out in the middle of nowhere and needed shelter, it would be a good place to stay.

View from the cabin...it would be a nice place to sit and drink a beer.

A view South from the cabin:

Time to go. More fast riding on endless wide gravel roads. I LOVE this stuff!

We aren't going directly to Cedarville. We pass numerous turnoffs and road signs pointing to out destination but we keep heading south, and will approach Cedarville from the South after some kick ass riding in Nevada.

www.BendDualSport.com

AHRMA17L screwed with this post 08-06-2008 at 08:28 AM