Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #46
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196
Funny man Jon, Funny Man. Where can I get one of those hats?
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #47
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Day on finish up

We turn off of the nice big gravel road and head towards our southern destination Hayes Peak.

The road winds it's way higher and higher, getting rockier every yard.

Had enough rocks yet Jon?

Up top the views are for 100s of miles in all directions, but I'm maily interested in the view to the NW (Cedarville), where dinner and a cold one are sure to be found.

Anchor chain, for anchoring some long ago diserected radio tower or such.

See that playa way down there? Thats where Jon and I would soon get seperated from Greg and we would all burn an hour or more of time searching for each other, more on that later.

Jon and I arrive in Cedarville, hot and thirsty! I had ran out of water, and jon had walked over two miles down on that playa in MX boots following a knobby track through some really deep sand. We were all glad to see each other and to finally be at our destination for the night.

We clean up, walk a very long six blocks back into town and have a great meal. (prime rib special and some homemade rasberry rhubarb pie for me) then head back to a well deserved hotel bed after dragging the bikes into their stall for the night, (sorry Mr Fire Marshall). I'm really tired but can't fall asleep from thinking about tomorrows adventure. I find myself up @ 4am tinkering on the XR and brewing coffee (sorry roomie!)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #48
LeisureClub
Perpetual n00b

Oddometer: 30
Ok, synopsis:
We get down off Hays Peak, through Devils Gate and into Surprise Valley.

We get separated on the way to Cedarville and have what Jon described as a Oh Brother Where
Art Thou moment.

We reunite in front of Page's Market where large bottles of Gatorade are
quaffed to quench the desert thirst. Check in to the Sunrise and head downtown for dinner at
the Country Hearth.
LeisureClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #49
LeisureClub
Perpetual n00b

After a great meal we wander back down main street to the Sunrise for some much needed rest.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #50
LeisureClub
Perpetual n00b

We're up with the roosters; some of us earlier than that!

The Vise Grip clutch mod. Highly recommended.

Stroup. Fired up and ready to go.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #51
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

The sun is late arriving as far as I'm concerned, but not much I could do about it.

The road out of lake city takes quickly up into a cool lush forest, and awsome panorama up top.

From there we start losing altitude and meander through some reall cool ponderosa and pines along meadows adjacent to a creek bed. Reminds me of the Ochocos .

You Pussies!!! :butthead:

As Greg mentions we do a bit of bushwhacking and end up dead ened a ccouple of times the decide to slab the 20 into lakeview for some eggs and coffee. Had to photo the XRR next to this Oregon landmark.

We ate here, Jerrys, arrived to the cheers of some type of boyscout troop. Throughout the trip we had several people seek us out asking questions about our bikes and "how to street legal the XRR" Jerrys was no exception.

Full of chicken fried steak and eggs and several cups of java goodness Greg leads us to our next strech of FS roads through this cool valley SW of Valley Falls.

I spot these petrogryphs out of the corner of my eye while smoking down this road and hit both brakes hard while the others motor on. Really screwed these pics up but I'm working with no viewfinder.

I find Jon and Greg waiting a coupla miles down the road and we motor on to probably the rockiest section yet, but eventually end up and a super fun two track skirting the west side of Lake Albert, the chase is on through this super curvy, grippy, narrow, high speed, sege collecting in the radiator two track! :rock:

We end up about where Greg applied the vice grips yesterday and race north on Fandango like were leading Baja or something.

That's it for me, Like Jon said as we were eating in Christmas Valley "Were 100 miles from bend and yet it feels like were home" Thanks for this opportunity gentlemen, you're both awesome riding partners!!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #52
LeisureClub
Perpetual n00b

We idle out of Cedarville. Past the hospital, the airport and through field after field of cut alfalfa.
It smells incredible and its cool. The sun isn't up yet and its perfect. We take a left up at
Lake City past some neat looking old buildings and jump onto a FS road that climbs us immediately
up to the Modoc back country discovery route.

Its a well graded gravel road and an easy ride north.

We end up at a washed out road and backtracka ways and hit some pavement.
We try to re-connect with the route and finally decide to just ride
on in to Lakeview for some breakfast. After about 20 miles of 395 along Goose Lake we roll into
Lakeview. Breakfast is good and I feel better with a couple cups of coffee in me. We gas up
and continue north a ways to Cow Creek Road where we get on some more forest service road popping
back out on 395 at Valley Falls. This is some beautiful country and again we're on easy gravel
so there's plenty of opportunity to relax and soak in the scenery.
After Valley Falls we go north on 31 a little ways to catch a road I'd seen on the maps:
Old Hotchkiss Road. Somebody has a real sense of humor calling it a road.

This would prove to be a bit of a challenging section and lots of fun.

We eventually make it back down to a nice two track along the west shore of Lake Abert.

This turns out to be much more enjoyable than Old Hotchkiss and we easily hook back up with
Fandango Road and on into The Lodge at Christmas Valley for world class burgers.

And thats it from this camera. Again, GREAT ride and riding partners.
Ready for the next one...
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #53
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,778
Excellent fellas! Wish I could've gone on this one. You guys really lucked out with the unseasonably cool temps. Nice report and photos.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #54
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I am a little behind in posting, but I left off shortly after the Nevada border crossing and the BLM cabin...

So...we are cruising about 60 on these long, wide Nevada gravel roads mostly due south passing all kinds of road signs that say Cedarville. Greg has a loop and a look out he wants to take us on and then approach Cedarville from the South. We are headed to Hays Peak.

We start to climb a small ridge to the west, the road become rockier and rockier. We twist onto the tops of ridges and ride in shallow canyons and meadows. We run inot a Nissan Pathfinder with the hood up.

Now, we are miles away from anywhere, in a place I wouldn't want to take a four wheeled vehicle, but there are these two guys, actually and older guy and his son, dressed in camoflage.

They wave us down and we talk. As Greg stated earlier, this joker knew his battery was dying, but just had to come up to what has to be one of the driest, rockiest places on earth, and chase the arrows they had shot from their bows. The funny thing is that they had been there ALL DAY, and stated that they had talked to someone in the morning that said they would send help. And they were slightly agitated--but not that they were stranded out in the middle of nowhere, just that there help wasn't going to make it by 5:00 for them to make it into town to get a new battery!

There was not much we could do so we marked their spot on the GPS with a waypoint and would tell the BLM ranger their coordinates when we got to town.

So we continue on a pretty rocky road, finally getting to the top of Hayes Peak, the site of an old radio station or something.

The valle and dry lake with Cedarville in the distance. Note brushy area near lake for later.

Also, look at the ground--there is not really any dirt, it is rocks on top of rocks, covered in more rocks.

We hike around a little and decide it is time to make the final leg into Cedarville which we can see in the distance at the far end of the dry lake. We can taste steak, tacos, and beer already.

We head down off the rock pile, past the stranded Pathfinder, and past three guys on giant four wheeled ATV's headed up toward the Pathfinder. I am pretty sure the Pathfinder guys would not have to stay the night with the other hunters on ATV's passing them.

Now, the only way I can describe the next part of the ride is like sky diving. We made it to a main gravel road, which seemed to simple go straight down the Peak. The rapid descent in elevation was remarkable and you could actually feel the air getting thicker.

The gravel road winds to the North toward the dry lake...

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.

AHRMA17L screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 07:10 AM
AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #55
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Oh Brother, where art thou?

Sorry, no photos for this one.

So...we get to the South edge of the lake. Greg hasn't had a chance to ride on any of the dry lakes yet. There is about 200-300 yards of sage brush between the big gravel road tha skirts the east side of the lake and runs into Cedarville. Vicious rumor has it that one can ride straight across the dry lake into Cedarville.

Greg sees a road that goes out into the sage brush, and asks if we want to do the lake: OF COURSE WE DO!

So he whips around, and heads down the road. I try to turn around a do a Laughin front end washout/tip over in the sand a fall over. Jim passes me, I pick up the bike and follow him. We turn into the sage brush where Greg turned in.

Unfortunately, we lose Greg's track in about 50 yards, and decide to bushwhack directly north to the dry lake--it is maybe 200 yards. So we do, but there is a barbed wire fence with no way across. We turn around and head back to the big gravel road.

After, some pretty washed out, bushy, little monkey dunes we make it back to the road, but no Greg. We wait. No Greg. Maybey he's waiting for us, so we decide to head for the next natural stop, a cattle guard across the big gravel road. We wick it up to about 70 so we make a giant dust cloud for Greg to see. We stop. We sit. No Greg.

Now, I am a little crazy when it comes to leaving no one behind. I absolutely will not do it. It is just not an option.

I figure that Greg must be in the sage brush, down, since it is only about 3 feet high and you can see over the entire area. My guess was that the vise gripped clutch cable repair broke, and there is no way to get rolling in the sand to pop the bike into gear to ride out, or he fell over and can't get up.

I guess I made a rather unilateral decision that I we (Jim and I) would go back , park the bikes, and physically walk Gregs track until we found him.

So we haul back with the giant dust cloud, get the the road, take off all our gear and start walking. We walk for about 1/2 mile and and decide Jim will go back and get a bike so that we can cover more ground. I would keep walking and either Jim would catch up to me or I would find Greg.

So I keep walking in my Tech 8's, it is rather warm out and I wrap my jersy on my head like some French Foreign Legionairre--oddly it is nice to be walking.

I walk about a mile, and Greg's Unicross track makes a 90 degree turn straight for the road. I follow, the track makes it to the road and turns left toward Cedarville. I don't care that I didn't find him. I know he made his way out and we'll meet in Cedarville.

So I start heading back down the big gravel road back to my bike, and pretty soon I see Jim riding out in the sage brush. I take my jersey off my head and start twirling it like I am at a Motley Crue Concert. He sees me, he heads straight toward me thinking it is Greg. Nope, just me. We ride double back to my XR.

All the gear goes back on and we head for Cedarville. Shortly after getting back on the XR, I have to go on reserve. The ride to Cedarville was uneventful except for thinking I was going to run out of gas. We pass Greg who is looking for us on the South end of the Dry lake. He thought we found a way onto the lake and made a bee-line to Cedarville.

I ride 12 miles on reserve, we meet at the store powering quarts of fluids, glad to have regrouped and found one another again, and head over to the cardlock gas station. The XR takes 3.725 gallons. The tank holds 3.8.

I guess it was a good thing we topped off in Adel.

www.BendDualSport.com

"Look...My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times.

"Does anyone know where there is a taco stand? A beer and a taco stand, that's what I need." Mouse McCoy, Dust to Glory.

AHRMA17L screwed with this post 08-08-2008 at 07:12 AM
Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #56
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

good read Jon, even without the pics. One more note that I was amazed at is that at each gas stop Jons 400R and my 650R took the exact amount of gas each time! We also hit reserve at the same time.

TWO WAY RADIOS NEXT TIME!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #57
AHRMA17L
Adventurer

Cedarville, was really cool.. It would be a great place to go and simply not do anything for a while.

Like Jim and Greg said, we cleaned up, went to one to the two open restaurants in town and had a feast--good food and another great lady waited on us. We waked back and used the hotel office's telephone (there are none in the rooms: the lady said the hotel phone system had been hit by lightning, so they just tore it all out), to let our significant others know that were were still alive (no cell service for anyone).

We rolled the bikes into the room as there were some sketchy hotel guests and crashed out at about 9:30. Jim says he got up early, but I didn't hear a thing until the alam went off at 5:00 a.m.

The alarm goes off and I can't wait to go riding!!

Here are the bikes rolled out and ready to go for day 2:

The hotel:

www.BendDualSport.com

Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #58
StroupDog OP
Shut-it Beotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroupDog
good read Jon, even without the pics. One more note that I was amazed at is that at each gas stop Jons 400R and my 650R took the exact amount of gas each time! We also hit reserve at the same time.

TWO WAY RADIOS NEXT TIME!
Does this look like a guy that would leave a fellow rider behind?? Not.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #59
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Very nice guys. Great pics and story telling. Maybe someday I'll get fast enough to keep up on a trip like this. Thanks for sharing.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #60
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,778
WINNER! great report you guys!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote