Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #796
DR Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The Rev'it gear has me curious. I live in the Dominican Republic, mid-80s with humidity and LOTS of rain. Would the Infinity suit be good for this location? I comute to work a few miles but I make a couple of cross island trips every week also - mouintains (not as hot) and heat and rain. I'm tired of being soaked for 3 hours straight with my mesh stuff. Thanks

DR Rider - not doctor rider - Dominican Republic
'06 KTM 950 SM
'96 CBR 1000 (storage in US)
'86 CBR 600 (sold)
DR Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #797
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
Rob,

I know exactly what kind of climate you're dealing with since I just returned from DR (a friend of mine lives in Bavaro) I would say INFINITY would be great for the rains but pretty hot for the rest of the time. I would recommend all mesh gear covered with one piece rain suit. By the way I have never seen ANY motorcycle rider in DR wearing full gear. You must be the only guy

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Rider
The Rev'it gear has me curious. I live in the Dominican Republic, mid-80s with humidity and LOTS of rain. Would the Infinity suit be good for this location? I comute to work a few miles but I make a couple of cross island trips every week also - mouintains (not as hot) and heat and rain. I'm tired of being soaked for 3 hours straight with my mesh stuff. Thanks

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #798
stige
The Cake is a LIE!!

decisions decisions....

Hello Dennis,

I've poked through most of this thread but not seen a clear answer to my specific situation/question, so here it goes.

I would like your opinion on which of the Rev'It jackets would be best suited to 50-80 degree (F) weather on the northern California coast?

I've been looking at the new Dragon jacket and like everything I see but am worried that it won't vent well enough in the hot weather. I'm wondering if I should try to find a more 'warm weather' jacket, like the Turbine or Air, and bulk up on under-layers when it's cold. What can you tell me about the Dragon in warm or hot weather? I noticed in an earlier post you said that for venting the Cayenne Pro > Navigator > Dragon. So the Dragon does not vent as well as the big dog, that makes sense since you get what you pay for. But would the Dragon be cool enough for my needs?

When I ride inland more than 20 minutes the temps can change dramatically. It's not unusual for a ride around here to consist of a hour or two on the coast and then to swing inland for the return trip. Mid 90's are common through the hottest part of the summer (August and September).

I saw someone recently mention San Francisco and it's very analogous to that area. Cool on the coast and very warm on the inland side of the coastal mountain range. On a typical day there's a 25-30 degree temperature swing from where and when I start to where and when I finish. On extreme (but not uncommon) summer or winter days the temp can swing 40 degrees or more. For three weeks this past winter it was in the low 30's at night and would reach 80 by mid-day.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me. I appreciate what you're doing here.

-David
stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #799
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
question about Turbine

Dennis:

I know that the Turbine doesn't come with the waterproof liner. Supposedly Rev'it is going to come out with one this fall. Is that still true? Also, does the current Turbine have the zippers so you can install the liner when they finally become available?

Thanks.
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #800
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingJing
Dennis:

I know that the Turbine doesn't come with the waterproof liner. Supposedly Rev'it is going to come out with one this fall. Is that still true? Also, does the current Turbine have the zippers so you can install the liner when they finally become available?

Thanks.
No, nor does it have the fabric loops at the cuff to hold the sleeves down for the Cayenne Pro liner.

It's a shame, really. I have worn my CP liner a few times for temperature control, and it would have been a simple thing for Rev'It to include torso zippers and snap loops on the Turbine.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #801
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
thanks for the reply

DRFaulken,

Thanks for the reply! I'm still waiting for your review of the Turbine on your last motorcycle trip to Tybee Island.

For myself, I'm going to wait till the Turbine has the liner since I have a summer outfit, my Motoport gear. Yeah I know, your favorite vendor!

But, I need to figure out which summer jacket to get hubby. I really don't think he'll make it in July/August when we hit 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity even with all of the vents open in his Cayenne Pro.

May consider Typhoon until the Turbine is sorted out - it comes with a waterproof liner.

hmmm... I still have a couple of months
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #802
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Despite some of the design oversights, I think the Turbine is a fantastic jacket. When the weather is super hot in Virginia, I don't mind getting rained on, so having the waterproof liner isn't a total deal breaker for me. I am very happy with my purchase. When I need to stay dry underneath (say, going to work), I have a set of Frogg Toggs that will keep me from getting wet.

My buddy ordered the Dragon from Dennis. It should arrive tomorrow and he will probably get a chance to test it out next weekend.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #803
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

David,

Well, for riding in temperatures up to 80 the DRAGON will do very well. It's those 90 degree days when you'll be wishing you had something a bit cooler. Since Nor Cal is more often chilly than hot, I think you can live with the DRAGON 90% of the time. CAYENNE PRO would be nicer choice for your weather conditions however it's almost double the price. You get way more jacket though. By the way I think DRAGON jacket is just as ventilated as NAVIGATOR. It all comes down to your budget and your tolerance to the heat. Cheers,

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stige
Hello Dennis,

I've poked through most of this thread but not seen a clear answer to my specific situation/question, so here it goes.

I would like your opinion on which of the Rev'It jackets would be best suited to 50-80 degree (F) weather on the northern California coast?

I've been looking at the new Dragon jacket and like everything I see but am worried that it won't vent well enough in the hot weather. I'm wondering if I should try to find a more 'warm weather' jacket, like the Turbine or Air, and bulk up on under-layers when it's cold. What can you tell me about the Dragon in warm or hot weather? I noticed in an earlier post you said that for venting the Cayenne Pro > Navigator > Dragon. So the Dragon does not vent as well as the big dog, that makes sense since you get what you pay for. But would the Dragon be cool enough for my needs?

When I ride inland more than 20 minutes the temps can change dramatically. It's not unusual for a ride around here to consist of a hour or two on the coast and then to swing inland for the return trip. Mid 90's are common through the hottest part of the summer (August and September).

I saw someone recently mention San Francisco and it's very analogous to that area. Cool on the coast and very warm on the inland side of the coastal mountain range. On a typical day there's a 25-30 degree temperature swing from where and when I start to where and when I finish. On extreme (but not uncommon) summer or winter days the temp can swing 40 degrees or more. For three weeks this past winter it was in the low 30's at night and would reach 80 by mid-day.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me. I appreciate what you're doing here.

-David

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #804
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

JingJing,

DrFaulken pretty much covered it all. Since your SO already has CAYENNE PRO, he could easily use its waterproof liner in the TURBINE. Believe it of not I do not zip my liners in most of the time anyways, makes adjusting to desired temperature range much quicker. Regards,

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingJing
Dennis:

Thanks.

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #805
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Ok... in the last four weekends I have logged 2,000 dual-sport miles in my Cayenne Pro jacket and Comet gloves. Mostly dirt... but some twisties and slab thrown in for good measure. Everything from slow, tight, steep single track in triple digit heat to late evening slab in the low 50s.

Over all I have to say that I am very very happy with this jacket. It handles a wide variety of conditions very well... a little hot in the tripple digits, a little cool bellow 50, but it is a very good all around jacket. It is a very versatile and comfortable jacket that I would (and do) recommend to people. The Comet gloves are just as good, if not better, than the jacket.

Thanks Dennis!

traveltoad screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 04:52 PM
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #806
stige
The Cake is a LIE!!

Thanks for your time. Do you have any personal experience with the Dragon? I'm curious about the venting zippers and how much air actually flows through them (chest and fore-arms). It looks like when they're open that little flap of material would effectively block airflow through the jacket. Is that the case? Anyone who owns one can jump in here....

You're right that it's generally cooler up here and I am much more comfortable when cold than hot. My home stays about 55-60 through the winter and I don't bother heating it. While I do need a warming layer to ride when it is that cool I place more importance on a jackets ability to vent/cool on a hot day than warm/retain heat on a cold one.

I'm trying to gauge the Dragons' ability to do that for me. Thanks for indulging my interrogation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
David,

Well, for riding in temperatures up to 80 the DRAGON will do very well. It's those 90 degree days when you'll be wishing you had something a bit cooler. Since Nor Cal is more often chilly than hot, I think you can live with the DRAGON 90% of the time. CAYENNE PRO would be nicer choice for your weather conditions however it's almost double the price. You get way more jacket though. By the way I think DRAGON jacket is just as ventilated as NAVIGATOR. It all comes down to your budget and your tolerance to the heat. Cheers,

Dennis
stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #807
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Personal experience - no. I have the mighty CAYENNE PRO and it works extremely well for me.

The venting zippers on the DRAGON in fact would get quite a nice airflow through them, when you open them they kind of stretch and the flap acts like a little air scoop.

It really sounds like you want something like CAYENNE PRO or possibly even SIROCCO though. I think your heat tolerance is pretty low

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stige
Thanks for your time. Do you have any personal experience with the Dragon? I'm curious about the venting zippers and how much air actually flows through them (chest and fore-arms). It looks like when they're open that little flap of material would effectively block airflow through the jacket. Is that the case? Anyone who owns one can jump in here....

You're right that it's generally cooler up here and I am much more comfortable when cold than hot. My home stays about 55-60 through the winter and I don't bother heating it. While I do need a warming layer to ride when it is that cool I place more importance on a jackets ability to vent/cool on a hot day than warm/retain heat on a cold one.

I'm trying to gauge the Dragons' ability to do that for me. Thanks for indulging my interrogation!

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #808
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Nice to hear that you've been putting some miles on your SE. Where did you take the pic of little grassy water crossing? I'm trying to find a place where I could get my Aprilia dirty....... and I'm not talking about dry desert dirt, I want some mud!

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Ok... in the last four weekends I have logged 2,000 dual-sport miles in my Cayenne Pro jacket and Comet gloves. Mostly dirt... but some twisties and slab thrown in for good measure. Everything from slow, tight, steep single track in triple digit heat to late evening slab in the low 50s.

Over all I have to say that I am very very happy with this jacket. It handles a wide variety of conditions very well... a little hot in the tripple digits, a little cool bellow 50, but it is a very good all around jacket. It is a very versatile and comfortable jacket that I would (and do) recommend to people. The Comet gloves are just as good, if not better, than the jacket.

Thanks Dennis!

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #809
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Thumb

Just wanted to chime in real quick and say that this vendor is great to work with.

Dennis has gone out of his way to help me on a couple of occasions now.

Great experience. Highly recommend Beach Moto!
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #810
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Pant Sizes

PM'd you
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote