User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
WeeBee OP
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
Sierra Adventure Ride 8/2 - 8/3

Had a great time last weekend - met up with Doug (GrizzyBear) on his Husky TE610 in Nevada City and had a great ride. The ride up Hwy 20 is real nice and the whole Bowman Lake Rd area is just amazingly beautiful with lots of small pristine lakes. Didn't get many pics as my camera was damaged on my last major ride and it's a PITA to get it to work.

Click on any of the pics below to get a full-size image.

Faucherie Lake

Camped at White Rock lake as planned and I almost didn't get back up out of there on my heavy pig of a Transalp. The last 1/8 of a mile down to the east end of the lake has a couple of steep sections with loose rock and fine powdery dirt from all the 4x4's that go in and out of there. I dumped my bike twice and ended up removing my panniers and other gear to lighten the load in order to get out. The fact that I'm geared one tooth taller on my front sprocket (16t) and my rear Mefo Explorer is about 2/3 done didn't help any at all. Got away with no damage other than some paint loss on my crash bars and a bent Driving light bracket.

Three pic panorama of White Rock Lake

After escaping from White Rock, we rode east out to Hwy 89 and then north to Sierraville where we picked up Hwy 49 and rode back down towards Nevada City alongside the North Fork of the Yuba River. Most of that stretch of 49 is very scenic and the roadway is a sportbiker's wetdream. You gotta watch it though as we found out during a lunch stop there had been three bikes go down by mid-day alone and CHP's were out in force.

All in all it was a fun ride and I'd do it again, all except for taking my TA back in to White Rock Lake

WeeBee screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 04:39 PM
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Oro D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
NorCalDave that was a good ride. Maybe next time I will hook up a winch to the 610 so we can pull the Transalp up the hills , or at least the luggage. Of course I am only kidding. I think you did all you could with what you had and you made it in the end. That's all part of the adventure.

Grizzy.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,589
Looks like a great ride.. i'd be so nice if you could post pics in a larger format.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
WeeBee OP
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
Done

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote